Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
gears?

From GT, his review states:

The difference is that the Selma is a dedicated single speed rig, sporting an eccentric bottom bracket, and no provisions for cable stops for derailleur cables. (There is a derailleur hangar for those that would want to rig the Selma for gears.)

http://twentynineinches.com/2008/09/23/interbike-2008-salsa-selma-ride-report/

The question is what would be the best way to go about "rigging" the selma for gears.

I am looking for a versatile bike that does both well. I was figuring on the El Mar or the SIR 9 but I really enjoyed my Mamasita and kind of want it back but I want a SS too. So I am looking at buying the Selma and if I choose to go back to gears on it I would, that is if there is a good clean way to do so.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Interesting question. It may be easier to temporarily convert the Mamasita to a singlespeed than to put gears on a Selma (no cable stops or hanger.)

Consider:
1. Internal hubs (alfine, rohloff)
2. Hub mounted der. hanger (kinda hokey imo. but doable) and zip-tied full housing.
3. Mamasita with Eno hub, disc option is available.
4. El Mariachi - Really designed to do what you are looking to do. Have you owned steel? You may prefer it in the end.

I recommend option 4.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ATXSS said:
Interesting question. It may be easier to temporarily convert the Mamasita to a singlespeed than to put gears on a Selma (no cable stops or hanger.)

Consider:
1. Internal hubs (alfine, rohloff)
2. Hub mounted der. hanger (kinda hokey imo. but doable) and zip-tied full housing.
3. Mamasita with Eno hub, disc option is available.
4. El Mariachi - Really designed to do what you are looking to do. Have you owned steel? You may prefer it in the end.

I recommend option 4.
1 and 2 are not an options. 3 is but not really.

4 is but weight is bringing me back to the selma. I have owned steel before and it is the best bike i have ever owned but it was very light weight (Sworks Steel), Is the El Mar really 5lbs? that is crazy, I think if I go steel I will end up with the sir 9 and for many reasons I dont want a Niner.

Captain Bob said:
The Selma has a blank derailier hanger so you can order a Mamasita hanger and use it on the Selma. Then run full cable housing.

That what I would do.
Yeah that is what I was thinking and using the adhesive cable hangers.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do we know any predictions on weight for the Selma.. I see the Mama gained some weight this year due to the more strict rules in europe.

if the mama weighs 3.4 can we add another .2 to .3 lbs that. at 3.7 that is not too bad.

If one was to run gears on the Selma, what position should the BB be in. I am thinking of running this bike as a 1x9

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
heythorp said:
Do we know any predictions on weight for the Selma.. I see the Mama gained some weight this year due to the more strict rules in europe.

if the mama weighs 3.4 can we add another .2 to .3 lbs that. at 3.7 that is not too bad.

If one was to run gears on the Selma, what position should the BB be in. I am thinking of running this bike as a 1x9
On saddle position in relationship to the BB, I would think it wise to either position your EBB at 6 or 12 o'clock, which would only affect your saddle height and you COG slightly.

12 o'clock to avoid pedal strikes in gnarly terrain and if you run 180's, that would be the best place to put the EBB. If you run 175's, or want a lower, more stable in the turns feel, set it at 6 o'clock.

But that's just me, you should experiment to see what works best for you.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Do you race? Are you really going to run gears?

I'd be split decision between Selma or El M. I think I'd take whichever option would present me with lighter wheels. I definitely notice wheel weight a lot more than 1.5 lbs of bike frame weight. I think bike frame weight is overrated when talking about bikes less than 5 lbs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.