Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have two old bikes in the garage that still have some decent life left in them, but both drivetrains are toast. I am wondering if bikes that can't be test ridden will even sell in "as is" kind of condition?

I am considering just putting a deore, or x7, as cheap as possible set up on them just to get them out the door but its cost I'll never recoup. Both are 08, one is a SJ pro carbon, and the other is a Mojo, with mostly higher end parts.

I'd ride either one in the mountains with confidence as they are perfectly trailworthy other than chain, cassette, and rings. I have no idea what the market for used bikes is like, I just hate to throw out perfectly good set ups. I've gone the way of the big wheel so there's no going back to 26" for me.

Would you flog em as parts bikes, or spend a few hundred dollars making em test rideable?

·
Registered
838 Posts
So I have two old bikes in the garage that still have some decent life left in them, but both drivetrains are toast. I am wondering if bikes that can't be test ridden will even sell in "as is" kind of condition?

I am considering just putting a deore, or x7, as cheap as possible set up on them just to get them out the door but its cost I'll never recoup. Both are 08, one is a SJ pro carbon, and the other is a Mojo, with mostly higher end parts.

I'd ride either one in the mountains with confidence as they are perfectly trailworthy other than chain, cassette, and rings. I have no idea what the market for used bikes is like, I just hate to throw out perfectly good set ups. I've gone the way of the big wheel so there's no going back to 26" for me.

Would you flog em as parts bikes, or spend a few hundred dollars making em test rideable?
I would put the new parts on em and give them a good tune I sold an clean 07 stumpy elite for $1200 last year to a newbie but the drive train was in dialed in perfect so they could jump on it like it was a new bike...
Good luck :thumbsup:

·
Registered
685 Posts
Hmmm, well if I were the buyer, I'd be turned off by lower end non-stock parts on a nice carbon framed bike. I'd rather get a better deal on the bike knowing that I had to renew the drivetrain, but that's just me.

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
you'll get the best out of just stripping and selling as frames "with extras" anyone buy something used in that range is looking to build so adding low end stuff will most likely lower the sale price and just be taken off anyway.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's kind of a tough one eh? I feel wrong putting a $100 drive train on what was once a $6000 bike. But then it's not a top end machine anymore right?

I guess what I'm thinking is if someone was going to buy it they could at least test drive it and then upgrade whatever they want from there, whereas XTR 970 rings, chain, and cassette are going to cost me close to $1000 but only add a couple hundred to the selling price.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts