Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I had a warranty situation come up with my custom built 2016 ASRc. I loved the bike, but I've wanted an XC race bike for a while since I'm doing it a lot now.

When I took the bike in, my wife said it was a sign for a new bike. I decided to sell my asrc replacement and use that as a base to save up for an Orbea OIZ with the new XT 12 speed. I demo'd one it and I loved it. So much quicker up hill and snappy downhill, but still confident.

Yeti really went through in service and will set me up with a 2019 SB100. I think that is great customer service, and they are going beyond the call. The LBS is going to transfer over my original parts, a shimano xt groupset, fox transfer,2014 enve xc rims, and 130mm pike.

So I would get an even more trail bike build. I know for some this would be great, but I'm really looking for a pure XC bike. I am curious, however, to try the SB100 just to see what it's like.

I was thinking originally I might be able to get 2-2.5k out of my original bike. Maybe 3k if I was lucky. Now that the frame is warrantied with a brand new spanking 2019 SB100 frame I'm not sure what to do. Sell the frame and parts separate? Sell it as a whole? keep it for a few months then off load it? I live in the western US so fall and winter are coming which makes me want to move fast. Any advice would be appreciated since this is the first time I am selling a bike. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Sell it as-is, built up for a reasonable price that makes you and a buyer happy.

You didn't pay anything for the 'new' bike so don't get greedy and sell it as new.

I was looking at a used road bike years ago. Seller found a crack and had it warrantied and upped the price to cost of a new bike.

Anyway, the components are used. The frame is new. Big deal. You're selling a slightly used bike.

·
U sayin' Bolt ?
1,364 Posts
Call your LBS now and tell them to not touch that frame. Keep it brand new in the box and sell it that way. Re use any parts you can. Sell the rest of the parts seperately, especially that wheelset.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much can I get for just the new frame in the box? I assume there would be some hit in value? Say, 20% since no warranty? Though I didn't pay for the frame, it still has to have some worth to it right?

The fork, wheels, and seatpost are still in great condition. Having the LBS build up the new frame, then selling it would require a couple hundred to replace worn out rotors, chain, broken seat, etc.

I would think selling just the fork, wheels, seatpost, and frame could theoretically net more then having the LBS build up the bike and take say a 50% hit in value.

·
CEO Product Failure
2,075 Posts
I'd list the frame (new in box) with a starting price of 60% of retail. You can always lower the price if it doesn't sell immediately. Also, I think its a good deal for both you and the buyer given the circumstances.

Regarding the warranty, most warranties are not transferable. There are a lot of manufacturers who will still work with second-hand owners. The warranty is a mute issue.

Definintely be transparent about this frame being a warranty. Eventually, the new owner will have some reason to contact the manufacturer. Better to be upfront as a seller.

Reactions: Ksanman
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.