Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
old man riding!
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you have commited yourself to a single 29 and therefore sold off all of your geared stuff to upgrade your bike and not just let the geared bike sit around collecting dust? Im contemplating doing this because ever since I got my 29er ss I ride nothing else.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am seriously considering it. Im just unsure i am willing to take the loss on the resale of my 26" geary. Probably just keep it as a back-up/loaner.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
i recently sold my one and only geared bike.....cause i had to, not cause i wanted to (ie, money for wifes car).

i actually just traded one of my single speeds for a geared bike and am happy to have a geared bike back in the stable. it will not be my bike of choice but there are times when i definitely need it (ie, pulling 2 kids on the tandem trail a bike and perhaps for certain epic rides)

·
uh, uh...oh, i forget
1,039 Posts
i'm down to one bike...

but it's a SIR 9, so i kept the options open for gears later. i even bought my wife a 29er monocog for our family outings, and i use it to pull the kids in the trailer. My 8 year old is the only one in the family with gears on her bike. 5 year old rides a single, and the 2 year old is on a fixed gear(trike).

·
Registered
94 Posts
No More Gears

Yup ... just sold the 5" hardtail gearie and ordered a custom Retrotec 29er SS.

3 bikes all SS. Lovin the decision.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I like just having one mountain bike. Blasphemy amongst this group of big spenders, I'm sure. I have so much fun on my Niner, I can't see bothering with gears or full-suspension. It also makes it easier to decide which bike to take when I go riding.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I have to agree with Padre. If training and recovery are part of your riding schedule, a geared bike is as useful as a road bike.

But if you never use your geared bike, then there is no point in keeping it. Nothing hurts a bike more than being ignored. :)

·
The Top Cap Guy
952 Posts
My only mtn bike is a SS 29... before I was into 29 I havd a nice SS26 and with it I usually had some kind of geared dually (Heckler, Carbon NRS, etc). But they all sat - I always would ride the SS. So I sold them off looking for the magic geary. Ever since I switched to 29er I wouldn't consider a geary unless it was a 29er. I've been getting in to racing lately and SS is hard when you're racing in a open class (non SS specific) so I've been trying to figure out how I can swing one of the new Fischer Race Day bikes..... but my money says is sits more than the SS......

Now I still have my road fixie and a cross bike with gears... so I'm not gearless....

FF

·
Registered
157 Posts
i definately wouldn't want to be without a geared bike. for certain rides and races with a lot of road, the ss just doesnt' seem practical. but i certainly don't ride it very often. i'm totally hooked on the one gear.

·
old man riding!
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My geared bike is a 26 which is one reason it sits.. Im hooked on the 29er. I think like Thor29 I dont think I want more than one mountainbike and if I were to get another geared bike it would have to be a 29. Thanks for all the advice..

·
Large wheels & one gear
720 Posts
BIKERDAD36 said:
How many of you have commited yourself to a single 29 and therefore sold off all of your geared stuff to upgrade your bike and not just let the geared bike sit around collecting dust? quote]

That's what i have done. When I bought a 26" SS, that was all I rode. Then I built a 29" SS, sold the 26" geared, sold the 26" SS and am now trying to figure out if I want to build a 29" geared FS or a 29" rigid SS ???? Just not sold on gears but there are times I wouldn't mind riding with them. I just figure I would be thinking about my SS the whole time.

·
moe.
371 Posts
The ss 29er started the whole mess...

I bought a GF Rig and fell in love with both the larger wheels and single speeding. I then sold my year old s-works stumpy and got enough cash on it to pay for most of a Dos Niner gearie build. I like the 29er gearie and the Dos frame in particular is a much smoother ride than the Rig. I was fortunate to pass along the the Rig and now have a Niner Sir on order. I got that bike coming with a 100mm Reba but I am looking forward to trying the Niner rigid after On One comes out with their new carbon fork in late July. I am going to hold off for a while on all the new FS 29ers coming out but maybe in a year or so I will check those out. There will be so much to choose from: Turner, Intense, Lev., GF Race, Cannondale etc.

·
Wheel building addict.
42 Posts
I never sell my bikes. They always find some way to haunt my dreams. The gearies have their place, like when I get up in the morning and am a little hung over to deal with the fixies. There was a point when I was considering getting rid of all my coasties and just converting my bikes to fixed.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Nope..

BIKERDAD36 said:
How many of you have commited yourself to a single 29 and therefore sold off all of your geared stuff to upgrade your bike and not just let the geared bike sit around collecting dust? Im contemplating doing this because ever since I got my 29er ss I ride nothing else.
I pirated everything off the 26" that i could use. Also selling every piece of 26".specific stuff i have. Call me a wuss but i like my gears and FS.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts