Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about selling my Supercaliber frame and going back to a hardtail. (I can really only justify having on mtn bike at a time) Anybody have any clue what it's worth? Still in great shape about 6 weeks of riding on it.

Thanks

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
Why sell? Does it not meet your riding needs or is it too much bike. I love mine and have a hardtail. Would rather ride the SCal in most instances.
G

·
Registered
345 Posts
Yes sell it. It's worth 100.00 and I will buy it. I done the same thing last year sold the sugar 293 frame and went to a Cobia hardtail. I went to the hardtail cause I was planning on doing some XC races and wanted a lighter bike. Well I didn't do any XC race last year. As I look back I would say I made a bad choice. Don't get me wrong I like the hard tail and I might do some XC races this year. The sugar 293 was just a great bike that I wish I still had.

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
I do not notice the rear being flexy on mine. I go about 185. I am not riding stock wheels so not sure if that makes a difference. Is it more flexy than my hardtail? Probably. Enought to hurt performance? Overall, I doubt it. I'd bet the feeling of flex is in the action of the suspension more than any twisting of the rear, even if there is a small amount.
G

·
rider
2,356 Posts
AuntieAPE said:
I'm not digging the flexy rear end. It's my first full susp bike after a bunch of years of riding and I'm thinking I should have stuck with what I knew.
If you are riding the stock 28h wheels and they have loosened a bit (new bike right?) you will have plenty of flex in your rear wheel. Get your LBS to tighten the wheels to the upper end of the range and it should be better. Better yet, get some wheels with more spokes. My Sugar 293 was much stiffer once I put some 36h wheels on it. But, if you are not a clyde like me, 32h wheels pro built should be fine.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Great..My Supercal just got here (still in the box in my truck) and I already have it in my head that the rear end is going to be too flexy and I'm not going to like it...:(

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
Toddre, I just do not think you need to worry. I think the ride is fantastic. I am running Bontrager 2.25 front tires on the back and I do not get any rub, or any indication that the rear end is flexing. When I lock it out feels, it feels like a hardtail. I am not running the stock wheels which I think are the culprits. I am running Hayes/Bonty Mustangs 32 hole. Using a bolt on skewer too...
Greg

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ditched the stock wheels right away form some 32 spoke XT/delgados. The 28 spoke 700c wheels just seemed like an accident waiting to happen.

It's probably mostly just me getting used to the FS experience, but there is definitely some lateral flex in there every now and then.

I think, I'll just shut up and ride . . . .

·
Samsonite Tester
3,993 Posts
toddre said:
Yea I know, but I know how my brain works too...:skep: I'll probably put my 32h WTB/Delgado wheels on them anyways... or try the race's to start then swap
IME with the superlight and bullit designs, a bolt on skewer makes a world of difference in rearend stiffness.

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Ditto on the no 5mm whimpy QR's. TA front on my bike. Currently running a 36h XT 756 rear hub with a soild axle and track nuts. Also have a DT FR440 rear wheel and Mikesee hooked me up with the bits to convert it to 10mm thru axle. Just have not converted it yet.

The rear end is much stiffer when the axle is really clamped in tight with one of these burley axle systems.

You can get a Hadley or Syncros ft. hub with a 9mm skewer/axle QR and tighten up your front end as well.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
29erchico said:
Ditto on the no 5mm whimpy QR's. TA front on my bike. Currently running a 36h XT 756 rear hub with a soild axle and track nuts. Also have a DT FR440 rear wheel and Mikesee hooked me up with the bits to convert it to 10mm thru axle. Just have not converted it yet.

The rear end is much stiffer when the axle is really clamped in tight with one of these burley axle systems.

You can get a Hadley or Syncros ft. hub with a 9mm skewer/axle QR and tighten up your front end as well.
How difficult would it be to convert my rear XT hub to a solid axle?

·
rider
2,356 Posts
AuntieAPE said:
How difficult would it be to convert my rear XT hub to a solid axle?
No problem at all. Wheels Manufacturing sells them. Buy one and put it in your hub. Just remember to set the bearings to true zero play as there is no compression supplied as a QR would do.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Buy a better frame and use your current parts.
Get a RIP 9 frame for 1500 bucks. Sell your frame for 1/2 the price and smile :)

I think Fisher should go a totally different way on their 29er soft tails. They have had a ton of broken frames and returns. I don't think they can even offer replacement frames on some sizes because they are out of stock. Why did they think they could do elevated chain stays that long? The Gary Fisher Fat Possum is a bomb too. I bet they do a HIFI 29er next year. Even that frame is called new but looks just like a sugar.

Flexy rear end and a weak set of rims!
Good combo!

·
Living the thug life.
795 Posts
speeder3800 said:
Buy a better frame and use your current parts.
Get a RIP 9 frame for 1500 bucks. Sell your frame for 1/2 the price and smile :)

I think Fisher should go a totally different way on their 29er soft tails. They have had a ton of broken frames and returns. I don't think they can even offer replacement frames on some sizes because they are out of stock. Why did they think they could do elevated chain stays that long? The Gary Fisher Fat Possum is a bomb too. I bet they do a HIFI 29er next year. Even that frame is called new but looks just like a sugar.

Flexy rear end and a weak set of rims!
Good combo!
Have you ridden either frame (Niner or Supercal)? At close to 200 pounds I have ridden the Supercal in stock form. There was some flex I noticed on the way to the trailhead that concerned me, but the trailride had me smiling wide. This is a very efficient, smooth bike with no noticable flex on the trail.

For all of you complaining about Bontrager's flexy wheels I think much of it is mental. I don't here people complain about the American Classics being flexy. I have ridden on and messed with both and the Bonti's are way stiffer. BUT, they have 28 spokes instead of 32!! OH CRAP!!! There is more to a freaking wheel then just the difference of 4 spokes.

Broken frames. This was a problem for a little bit with their OLD Sugar design. Anyone actually brake the new design? Anyone?

Also, I think it is funny when people jump on the "this frame is better because it is not from a big company". Is the Niner nice, I am sure it is (I had a One9 that was very nice). Does it have it's own faults, I am sure it does (I read recently about the lower linkage getting scrapped easily).

Yes, it appears there is a 29'er Hi-Fi next year. Looks like you are already complaining about that now too.

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Logantri said:
For all of you complaining about Bontrager's flexy wheels I think much of it is mental. I don't here people complain about the American Classics being flexy. I have ridden on and messed with both and the Bonti's are way stiffer. BUT, they have 28 spokes instead of 32!! OH CRAP!!! There is more to a freaking wheel then just the difference of 4 spokes.

Broken frames. This was a problem for a little bit with their OLD Sugar design. Anyone actually brake the new design? Anyone?
QUOTE]

The 28 hole Bonty wheels that I replaced on my Sugar had the earlier non-disc only rims. By all reports the newer disc only rims are stiffer. That being said, please don't try to tell me that it was "mental" when I noticed a huge improvement in stiffness when I went to a set of 36h wheels built with DT TK 7.1 rims.

As far as the broken frames go, there were a a rash of GF hardtail frames that broke at the seat tube last year, and a whole bunch of hardtail frames were replaced for having less than spec rear tire clearance as well. That coupled with the high failure rates of the Sugar 29ers gave GF a less than stellar frame reliability rep. The Sugar issues were not "for a little bit" by any stretch of anyone's imagination. To be fair, the Sugar issues were usually those ridden by large people who rode a lot (I resemble that, and broke my Sugar 4x in a one year span). But should not have those frames been able to withstand that forseeable possibility?

No, I have not yet heard of any failures of the new Caliber/Supercaliber FS frame. But then I had 18 months of heavy riding before my spate of Sugar failures started...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.