Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been wanting a 24" BMX for quite some time. I have been contemplating selling my Scott Voltage yz3 and picking up a general lee or something along those lines and upgrading it a bit.

I like my scott, but the geo isnt really the best for street, and its pretty heavy. I would like something that sits a little lower, (seat tube is like 15" i think). When I bought it I had more trail riding in mind and have shifted over to loving street riding a lot more.

So....Any suggestions on what I should do, and also what are some other 24" options beside the gl?

Thanks for any input.

Attachments

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
TSC Invisible Man. pricey though.

I personally wouldn't buy a GL then put any money into it...
24" cruisers are actually kind of rare, well, as far as I've seen, and most will be based around race geometry and weights... not the thing for street. as well as NOT meant for susp. on the front.

btw, as you can see in my sig., I've got my Eastern 24 frame up for sale w/ a 14mm axled 24" atomlab/eastern rear wheel and a couple of extras. got like a 12 or 13" ST, or something. ;)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So what would you guys recommend? I want a rigid, just not a 20. They feel too tight for me. I thought something like a g lee would be cool but I dont really know. I just know my bike feels too big and heavy for a street bike.

·
Registered
292 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Those are all sweet bikes. I will check some of them out. I want the rigid feel of a bmx. Do any of those sell as completes or jsut frame. My price range would be about a max of 500 right now for everything, thats why i was thinking a bmx frame and building it up. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah that fork weighs a ton, I may do that. I think I just like getting new bikes lol. Im trying to get rid of my old mtb/commuter for a little extra cash. I dont ride it anymore, even if I am riding a good distance i always pick up the other bike.

What are some recomended 20s to check out. I am not really opposed to them...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, I have it halfway figured out, just need a little more help. I want to put a rigid fork on my bike for sure. My current wheelset is QR and the hub isnt convertible to a thru axle.I really like the dmr trailblade fork.

If I got the 20mm for I guess I would have to get a new wheel for it which will be expensive. Can I get the QR fork and eventually get a new wheel with bolt on, or would it not work with the QR fork? Sorry for the newbish questions. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Check out the Fit Flow, but yea keep your DJ that's what I did. I kept my Kona Stuff for Dj's and I ride my bmx for street. 20 is def the way to go for street, cheep cheep when you break stuff.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
mrbray101 said:
Ok, I have it halfway figured out, just need a little more help. I want to put a rigid fork on my bike for sure. My current wheelset is QR and the hub isnt convertible to a thru axle.I really like the dmr trailblade fork.

If I got the 20mm for I guess I would have to get a new wheel for it which will be expensive. Can I get the QR fork and eventually get a new wheel with bolt on, or would it not work with the QR fork? Sorry for the newbish questions. Thanks for the help guys.
yeah, with the Tblade 1 fork you can use QR or 10mm bolt-on, or even use a bmx hub if you like, which is pretty trick if you're not running a front disc brake.
nowadays, a lot of mtb front hubs will be convertible between 20mm thru and 9mm qr axles, but QR sucks.

also, depending on your hubs, you might be able to convert them to solid axle 10mm bolt-on with some basic axles you should be able to pick up at your lbs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.