Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been lurking around a bit and can't make up my mind. I recently got back into biking after a long time off. I use to do BMX years ago and got away from that and transferred over to dirt bikes and have been riding pretty consistantly for about 10yrs now. Problem I have now is most of my friends have sold off their dirt bikes so I don't get out to ride anymore. I went out recently and I am way out of shape and getting winded quickly so I decided to get on a Mountain Bike so I could get out a little more often closer to home. I have a 2000 Kona Mokomoko which does the job for now. I am in AZ and mostly just ride the easy trails locally but I am wanting to step it up a little more and go at a faster pace and be able to hit some more jumps along the trail but I am concerned as to what my bike can handle.

The rear shock is just a Fox Float and the forks are Marzocchi bomber z4 Flylight Airfork. I am a bit of a heavier guy at 200lbs so I don't want to push to hard with this set-up. Seeing the Mokomoko is pretty much strictly a XC bike how much can the frame actually handle if I were to upgrade the suspension components? I am not looking to launch off of monster hits or even big drop offs but I want to at least be able to keep speed and momentum up when hitting some of the smaller transition stuff without worrying about the bike coming apart. Money is a little tight right now so I am hoping a new ride can be avoided for now.

Thanks

·
Registered
303 Posts
Just went through sort of the same thing ( the upgrade part / decision) - you might look at getting a different frame with some more modern geometry and see what parts you can switch over...the frame is the heart and sole besides the motor you provide. good luck with the project

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That has crossed my mind as well but I'm just not sure how many parts will cross over. The bike is fine for what I'm doing now but I would like to step it up a little bit. I have a chance for a Giant Trance 2 frame for a few hundred with the Fox Float R shock already on it but don't know enough to determine how much will swap right over.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Just air it up and go ride.

If you want to swap parts, the only places to really worry about compatibility are the front derailleur (cheap - who cares) and the suspension components. Also brakes, if you're going from Vs on the Kona to a disc-only frame and fork.

People are way too freaked out about catching a little air on their XC bikes, IMO. Especially from 2000, before the weight weenie stuff trickled its way into everyone's XC line.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess my real main concern is where are these bikes to fail first considering they are meant for XC. Is it the frame just stresses to much or is it the suspension that can't handle it? I have ridden a few bikes in the past to no return from pushing past their limits but now I am more calm but I still like to push. I can get the Trance frame with rear Fox Float R shock for $250 but I'm not sure if its a step in the right or wrong direction. I really like the Kona due to its weight and it already has disc brakes but don't want the damn thing to come apart on me either.

Thanks for the response

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Usually people kill wheels, then suspension, then frames. Full-suspension frames sometimes have issues around the linkage, but it varies by frame. So doing some research to see if anyone has had failures with your specific frame would be useful. My teammate demolished his Haro Sonix just doing cross-country, while other people have FS bikes that they've had for many years and done dumb stuff on.

Bear in mind that a ton has to do with the nature of the landing. If you dropped several feet onto a very steep transition with a nice curve to it, you wouldn't exert nearly as much force on the bike as jumping off a picnic table.

The current Trance X is a 5" bike - intended to be ridden by adults who have to ride up to descend, but like to descend. I'm not sure if you're talking about that frame, though - I could have sworn there was a 4" Trance and the Trance X was a longer-travel version. Some time on bikepedia or Giant's archives could get that sorted out.

Anyway, it's a well-regarded suspension design, both climbing and descending, so even if you're talking about the cross-country version, it would likely be at least a small improvement. Things have come a long way since 2000.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info, I have been looking to try and find any issues regarding my Kona but there just isn't much out there about this speciffic model. Prob just take it a little easy for now till I can gather up some more $$$ for something a little more serious that i can downhill like my dirt bike. From riding BMX and motocross I am fully aware of the differences when landing on a nice transition or flat ground and what it can do to the mechanics of either bike. Since I am fairly new to the mtb game I was just concerned at what level I can safely push to.

·
Registered
28 Posts
A 2000 Kona XC? I think I have one of those in my bike storage/cemetary. Those are strong frames but what was bolted to them tended to be on the cheaper/weaker side of things. Plus technology and geometry refinement have left that bike behind. Ride it for now, enjoy it, and then replace it with another bike. Newer All Mountain bikes are as light, tend to be stronger, and better set up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.