Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I even start explaining, please don't say, keep 'em both, k? Alright, Im thinking of selling the best hardtail I have ever owned to get a road bike. How dumb an idea is this??

Some background now. I had been a roadie (CAT 2) from the late 80's through mid 90's when I found mountain biking and fell in love with it. Sold the Bottechia to get a middle of the road Raleigh mtb to replace my old Hardrock Comp. Flash forward a bit, I started racing mtb and had some very modest success as an expert rider but found I really had more fun just riding off road and kinda faded from the race scene only doing a few endurance events a year. During this time, I also fell in love with singlespeeding (woot!) as well as the joys of working on new bike skills. I began spending more time trail riding the SS, jumping, and riding park/urban. That lead me to purchase my Chameleon this year.

Now the dilemma...I have two SS hardtails (the Blizzard and the Chameleon) and Im finding that while they are very different, in some ways, they really aren't. To make it worse, I find that I am rarely riding the Blizz anymore and have relegated it to a 1x9 (big ring only) and it sits on the trainer with a slick on the back. The Lizard weighs marginally more but only because of how its setup (frame weight is alomost the same). Anyway, the SC is just so freakin versatile that Im starting the consider selling the Blizz and getting a road bike again. I may have forgotten to mention that I bought a sweet Gunnar (all Ultegra) a year ago and sold it to get the Chameleon since I really needed a burlier bike than the Blizz. Now I realize it was a mistake. Im thinking a roadie is great for the trainer (Im in Ohio so lots of time is spent there) and I might even get back into racing a little (road) and see if I still hav any goods left while getting my racing fix at the same time. The Chameleon can pretty much do everything else and can be setup light enough to even race if I ever really wanted to (prolly get a rigid for that and keep a light wheelset handy). Anyway keeping the Blizz, the Liz, my bmx, and getting a new roadie isn't in the cards right now (Im spending my "biking funds" on a trip to Whistler in two weeks).

So....whatcha all think?

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
you probably won't get much for selling stuff. just get some 26" slick tires for the blizzard and ride that on the road and see how much time you spend on it. if you decide you gotta race on the road, just start saving up.
you've sold bikes and regretted it in the past, so i would learn from your mistakes and hold on to your stuff.
also, keep an eye out for a deal. i got a nice mid-80s road bike for next to nothing that was basically new. it has 7 speed down tube shifters, but who cares?

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jh_on_the_cape said:
you probably won't get much for selling stuff. just get some 26" slick tires for the blizzard and ride that on the road and see how much time you spend on it. if you decide you gotta race on the road, just start saving up.
you've sold bikes and regretted it in the past, so i would learn from your mistakes and hold on to your stuff.
also, keep an eye out for a deal. i got a nice mid-80s road bike for next to nothing that was basically new. it has 7 speed down tube shifters, but who cares?
I agree about the who cares thing for sure. I also agree that I won't get much for it. Thing is, its not a financial issue really. This is about "wife management". As long as one goes out, one can come in, that's the work around in this case. Besides, it seems shame to keep a bike around that I won't be riding really.

Bike sales do = regret though. Maybe you're right. Then again, it allows you to buy another bike to replace the regrettably sold one which is good in its own right. Round and round, huh?

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
You answered your own question dude. The Liz does it all and is so versatile I believe is what you said.

I remember your saga to get the Liz too & to boot, you got a 1 off paint job.

Don't buy slicks for your other HT either - You've raced, you know there is no comparison to a mtb w/slicks and a road bike......

·
Registered
508 Posts
Wife management - An Oxymoron?????

This is what goes on in my house....

I am the head of the household...
My wife is the neck.....
Where the neck turns, so does the head.....

JS

·
artistic...
7,592 Posts
what size is the blizz??

namaSSte said:
Before I even start explaining, please don't say, keep 'em both, k? Alright, Im thinking of selling the best hardtail I have ever owned to get a road bike. How dumb an idea is this??

Some background now. I had been a roadie (CAT 2) from the late 80's through mid 90's when I found mountain biking and fell in love with it. Sold the Bottechia to get a middle of the road Raleigh mtb to replace my old Hardrock Comp. Flash forward a bit, I started racing mtb and had some very modest success as an expert rider but found I really had more fun just riding off road and kinda faded from the race scene only doing a few endurance events a year. During this time, I also fell in love with singlespeeding (woot!) as well as the joys of working on new bike skills. I began spending more time trail riding the SS, jumping, and riding park/urban. That lead me to purchase my Chameleon this year.

Now the dilemma...I have two SS hardtails (the Blizzard and the Chameleon) and Im finding that while they are very different, in some ways, they really aren't. To make it worse, I find that I am rarely riding the Blizz anymore and have relegated it to a 1x9 (big ring only) and it sits on the trainer with a slick on the back. The Lizard weighs marginally more but only because of how its setup (frame weight is alomost the same). Anyway, the SC is just so freakin versatile that Im starting the consider selling the Blizz and getting a road bike again. I may have forgotten to mention that I bought a sweet Gunnar (all Ultegra) a year ago and sold it to get the Chameleon since I really needed a burlier bike than the Blizz. Now I realize it was a mistake. Im thinking a roadie is great for the trainer (Im in Ohio so lots of time is spent there) and I might even get back into racing a little (road) and see if I still hav any goods left while getting my racing fix at the same time. The Chameleon can pretty much do everything else and can be setup light enough to even race if I ever really wanted to (prolly get a rigid for that and keep a light wheelset handy). Anyway keeping the Blizz, the Liz, my bmx, and getting a new roadie isn't in the cards right now (Im spending my "biking funds" on a trip to Whistler in two weeks).

So....whatcha all think?

if it's an 18.5 and you really want to sell it...

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
colker1 said:
if it's an 18.5 and you really want to sell it...
its a 17.5. I used to ride an 18 alu frame and found that the steel seems like its bigger so I went 17.5 instead. If you are interested, let me know. Naturally I post a dummy ad here so its all on the up and up...

·
Registered
210 Posts
SS Jerry said:
This is what goes on in my house....

I am the head of the household...
My wife is the neck.....
Where the neck turns, so does the head.....

JS
major major major misquote here....me thinks if the litte lady of the house saw that post ol ssjerrry may have a unobtanium something else around both his ankles let alone something else. Note: the unobtanium ankle bracelets would weigh about as much as lead.

Cheers;

a very silly victorthewombat

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Reply with SPAM (paid for though)

Thanks all, for the advice and stuff. I did decide to list it if you care...

http://marketplace.consumerreview.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.pl?db=MtbReview&website=MtbReview&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=75055&query=retrieval

and on ebay as well. Hopefully, this time, Ill be smarter about keeping the roadie. That Chameleon better keep showing me some love...

Peace,
nam (beggin forgiveness for the spam)

·
Cheesiest
1,607 Posts
Sounds like we're in a similar position. I have a Jenson Chameleon that is a sweet frame which seems to do everything well. I am trying to sell my geared On-one Inbred. I love the Inbred, but I just don't have enough room for three bikes. I would like to replace the Jenson w/ the real deal, though.

Plus, I just got my motorcycle endorsement, so I need to make room for a nice dual sport. :cool:

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
intheways said:
Sounds like we're in a similar position. I have a Jenson Chameleon that is a sweet frame which seems to do everything well. I am trying to sell my geared On-one Inbred. I love the Inbred, but I just don't have enough room for three bikes. I would like to replace the Jenson w/ the real deal, though.

Plus, I just got my motorcycle endorsement, so I need to make room for a nice dual sport. :cool:
mmmm, motorcycles! I just borrow my friend's, keeps the wife happy and besides, he's got a sweet CR that he lets me ride when we hit it. I wouldn't worry too much about the "real" deal though. Its like two siblings separated at birth, different names, same dna. Still, I never thought Id sell the Blizzard after getting the Liz, the Blizz is awesome, just unused which seems a shame.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts