Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Specialized Hardrock and I live in New York. Its been really cold weather here lately and I keep the bike in the garage. I have stud tires on it so I can go riding around town or on the trails if it comes about me in the winter. So I took it out to head up to my friends house the other day and it was about 10-15 degrees farenheight. I hit a couple of bumps and realized my fork was dead stiff. I have Rock Shox Judy 100 TT. So I was going along and could not get it to compress the slightest bit. Im only using this bike as a hold me over untill I can afford my Prophet 2 sometime this year but I would still like to have it as a back up or a beater. Is it going to be stuck as a rigid? Or should it begin working again when the weather warms. Maybe this can give me an excuse to buy a new fork for it.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
The 03 Judy TT 100....

is a coil/elastomer fork. The elastomer runs the full length of the spring an is nestled inside the coil. Elastomers are, unfortunately, prone to "freezing up" in cold weather. They start getting quite stiff in the 40 to 35 degree range and just get stiffer from there until they are like rocks! Basically the freeze solid. That's your problem. Keep the bike in the garage in cold weather and you end up with a locked up fork. It's normal and there's nothing you can do about it except start storing the bike inside. Even then if you are out riding long enough it'll happen again. The good news is your fork ain't broke, just frozen so to speak. It'll soften back up as the weather gets warmer.

Good Dirt

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.