Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
runningdeer said:
The aluminum rear suspension pivot bolt seems to have seized up - has anyone experienced this? Any ideas on how to free this up before I whip out (thats right!) a giant drill?
did you try hitting the pivot bolt with a plastic mallet ? Sometimes this works pretty good.

err....did you try some WD40 ? That stuff is amazing. Its often misconceived as an oil, water repellant, which it sort of does OK, but one of its ORIGINAL (50 years ago) purposes is as a penetrating oil for frozen bolts.

Choose the appropriate side to do this with: Get some putty or playdough. Yes. Steal some from the kids if you have to. Its for a good cause.

Lie the bike on its side and build up a circular dam around the pivot bolt. Fill the dam with WD40 and leave to 'soak' overnight. Try to loosen. If it dont work, flip the bike over and do the same on the other side. If it doesnt loosen after that, I guess a drill is in order !!

I did this with some frozen spark plugs in an old mercedes motor my garage mechanic couldn't budge. Worked a dream, I barely needed to use any effort to get them out vs heaving on the wrench until I was sweating like a pig with 0 result.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had exactly the same problem with mine - the two allen bolts screw onto a steel thread which was corroded and woudn't undo, even after leaving it over night soaking in Duck oil - it took me and a mate with two metre-long bars to undo it. Needless to say it was buggered but I have got hold of the newer black pivot bolt which is much better.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,429 Posts
If I might interject here, get a Dremel tool with an abrasive cut-off wheel, and carefully remove the outer flange from one side by cutting out a pie wedge shaped chunk, pop it off with a screwdriver, move to the next, etc. The flange is only a 1/4" wide or so, so it will come easily, once it's off insert a punch, and pop, out she comes from the other side, then replace with a fresh one, and grease the living crap out of it. Incidentally, the WD in WD40 stands for water displacement, spary it on after a particularly wet ride, it scares the water out, then follow the next day with a good lube. Cheers!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I agree with Mendon, at the time I knew something was not right with the bolt - something so small shouldn't have been that tight! I knew it would be damaged when I took it out but I also knew I had one to replace it. Take it from me, the new one is properly greased.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.