Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
395 Fat Tire Council
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had any experience running the fsa xdrive extremes? they're a 3-piece chromoly crank set and I've been running them on my DH bike without problems for about 3 weeks now. Today, while pedaling down the trail, they randomly seized. I'm starting to think that maybe it's the fact that they're BMX cranks and they don't seal the dirt out very--I am begining to regret not replacing the prior broken set of race faces with another pair of isis cranks. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
you probably didnt adjust them right, as far as the BB cup tensions and crank tension in concerned. These type of cranks will kill bearings if you dont adjust them properly.

The bearing are no different from standard mtb units; they are sealed the same. The difference is that its up to you to tension the bearings axially, which will make or beak them.

Contact FSA, i've heard they can be pretty cool with this kinda stuff.

·
Bob Saget Fan
122 Posts
SocalSuperhero said:
Anyone had any experience running the fsa xdrive extremes? they're a 3-piece chromoly crank set and I've been running them on my DH bike without problems for about 3 weeks now. Today, while pedaling down the trail, they randomly seized. I'm starting to think that maybe it's the fact that they're BMX cranks and they don't seal the dirt out very--I am begining to regret not replacing the prior broken set of race faces with another pair of isis cranks. Any thoughts?
I had the same problem when i got mines, the problem is probably the spacers. Behind the black metal cups that kinda seals the system, if you put the small aluminium spacers that comes whit it, they will get crushed between the metal seal and the sealed bearings in a way that the seal is rubing against the bb. In order to get mine to work well, i placed the larger spacers directly to the bearing and removed the metal seal, then i used some regular bmx spacers to ajust them like i wished. Also you have to be able to turn the bearings easily by hands whitout the cranks on (you can ajust that whit the treaded bb cups that compresses the red spacer). Hope it works

·
Registered
67 Posts
no troubles here

I've had my x drives for a while now with no trouble, but I didn't use the black spacers, and I measured the spacing VERY carefully so the bearings woulen't be loaded axially.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.