Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the deallyo.

I have Hayes, I had Catasrophic Brake failure.

The line had seperated from where the line goes into the bolt that screws into the brake itself. I took it to the local LBS and they "fixed" the line. I bleed the brake and now after a few squeezes of the lever, it seeps oil from where the line goes into that bolt.

Since the bike shop can't fix it proper I want to try. What could be causing this seepage?

I guess I will have to purchase this http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/product_af_smallparts.shtml.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After downloading the Master Cylinder instructions from the website I can see which parts failed but I don't understand why.

It has to be the the bolt/hose/fitting combo. Maybe my replacement part was bad. . .

Buehler. .

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for all the replies

I guess my questions are too complicated.

I took the brake by my local LBS and we tore it apart and had a looksie. It looked as though the part that holds the hose to the master cylinder through the lock bolt was not fitted properly. Put a new one on and yanked on the hose with no movement. Hopefully I can bleed the brake tonight and solve the issue.

Peace

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Have at it.

I have no experience with hayes, but quite a bit with sealing ferrules etc.

The alignment of the parts is critical. Normally test a seal the actual travel (compression) of the ferrule and housing is measured not the torque of the nut.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jeffscott said:
Have at it.

I have no experience with hayes, but quite a bit with sealing ferrules etc.

The alignment of the parts is critical. Normally test a seal the actual travel (compression) of the ferrule and housing is measured not the torque of the nut.
I forgot to add that we also snipped the line again to make sure that the seal was plush. I am guessing this is sort of what you mant JS.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Yes absolutely, also

I just mounted up some shimano hoses, they came with bend in them right where I wanted the ferrule to go. So I move it a bit and straigthen out the hose as best I could.

Also when assembling to joint don't just tighten the nuts to suck it all togeather. Push the hose ferrule assemble togeather first and get it to line up.

If you don't get it right the first time, chuck the parts and start again.

Usually if you get it right you can take the thing apart and reassemble a couple of times.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jeffscott said:
Yes absolutely, also

If you don't get it right the first time, chuck the parts and start again.

Usually if you get it right you can take the thing apart and reassemble a couple of times.
I think that was the source of the issue. The mechanic admitted to me that he wasn't sure if he got it right the first time and pulled apart to try again. Then he did it with the same ferrule while I was over there and said "here you go." I took it from him and immediately put some torque on the line and it slipped. I handed it back and said "no good." So he took it back apart put another ferrule in the line made sure it was tight and re-fitted the ferrule through the bolt and into the brake. That time I took it from him and there was not a bit of slippage or turning. Hopefully that means I am good to go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.