Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Ted in real life
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
that the activity on the Titus board has gone down since the announcement that Titus would be making some/all bikes overseas. Is it just my imagination?

·
K n e e m o i
506 Posts
Ted said:
that the activity on the Titus board has gone down since the announcement that Titus would be making some/all bikes overseas. Is it just my imagination?
I don't think so really.

As far as my two cents go, who cares where the bike is made in? If it is an awesome bike, you like it, and still not have a degradeability in quality/service, who cares! The Specialized Epic is made in China/Taiwan. Does that make it a bad bike?

But hey, some people are closed minded. Some ultra patriotic people say that they buy the pure american Ford trucks, and not some Toyota crap, since it is the result of a hard working American people. Some still think buying a Toyota (for example) takes away jobs from the American people. :rolleyes:

They don't know that:

1. Ford/GM has foreign parts inside. Example: The tranny on the new Ford Fusion is Japanese made. I believe the small electrical parts on F-150 are foreign made also.

2. Toyota is also made in the USA by hard working American people.

So I don't care where the bike is made in, as long as there is no change in quality and service.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I agree. My preception is the same.

I've been on a HH/RacerX 100 for almost 4 years and recently jumped in the market for a new frame. Unfortunatley, Titus is not a consideration because of their recent decision to outsource overseas. To me, the appeal of owning a Titus is no longer there. Lets face it, a Titus made in Taiwan is not really a Titus. It may sound crazy, but that's how I feel and I know many other's harbor the same sentiment.

MOJO

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
In the bike business, my feeling is that boutique companies do not have the manpower or resources to make sure an overseas facility makes the product exactly as they want it. By the time the company finds out there are problems, the entire stock is made and they risk having no income from that run, so they sell them. Additionally, there is a greater chance of flaws that are hidden, such as weld burn through and lower quality welding wire, twists, etc.

I had a bike from a domestic manufacturer that went overseas and it was a nightmare. Never again.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
In the bike business, my feeling is that boutique companies do not have the manpower or resources to make sure an overseas facility makes the product exactly as they want it. By the time the company finds out there are problems, the entire stock is made and they risk having no income from that run, so they sell them. Additionally, there is a greater chance of flaws that are hidden, such as weld burn through and lower quality welding wire, twists, etc.

I had a bike from a domestic manufacturer that went overseas and it was a nightmare. Never again.
Funny thing though, Titus had a weld wire issue with the Locomoto a few years back that required a recall I believe. Guess what country those frames were made in. Hint, it's not in Asia. People can tell themselves all they want that made in America means higher quality then Taiwan, but it's just not true anymore. At this stage of the game if you want a lovingly handcrafted in the USA aluminum dual suspension bike you have 2 choices, Ventana and Ellsworth. Your probably thinking, what about Turner? Well Turners are churned out at Sapa in Portland by American welders who probably care about bikes just as much as an Asian Welder. It's not like Dave Turner is welding those frames.

And whine all you want about the Motolite frame being made in asia but it costs about $1200 vs. a 5 Spot at almost $1,900

·
Registered
582 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
Like I said, I won't be buying an Asian frame. You can pull out singular examples, but there is much to be said in the overall stats.
I can understand wanting to buy american, I myself have go so far as to buy from a local builder, see my avitar. But show me those stats you speak of.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
I ask you to pull the stats as well.

As I said twice before, I will buy an American frame first. I have had a bad experience with Taiwan "high end/boutique" frames and will not put my hard earned money into a chance like that. As far as Turner goes, take a look at one and it's made very well, although you are probably looking down your nose at me because you're riding an IF.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
haters go home

Ted said:
why stir the pot? I've lost a lot of intrest because of all the troll threads. nothing to see here.... move along.

bunch of people trying to convince others that thier bike is better. bike's welded in the USA have a soul..... :rolleyes:

I come to the boards to help people, and share. others come here to hate. haters go home.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Another opinion...

The traffic is down here because much of N. American is now experiencing winter. I still check the board on occassion but I am skiing for the next 5 months and the local trails will be unrideable until April. I got about 10 rides on the new Moto-Lite and it is my favorite bike to date (after many bikes/frames the past 10 years). That said, I personally could care less where the bike is welded, painted or assembled. I care about the "Secret Sauce" that makes it ride so well and that is not outsourced overseas.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I think board activity follows the bike releases/changes. When the ML came out there was a lot of activity here, after a while it is old news. Look at the Turner board for example, it is now buzzing with TNT vs HL discussions/reviews etc..

·
good ol dog dreams
187 Posts
It is Fall in most areas, this is the best time to ride IMO. I've been out riding the hell out of my ML. I love my "American-made" bike and love to support American companies. That being said, how many Asian components do you have on your bike? Are they of lesser quality than the American components? Hell, where do you think your shifters, der's, brakes are made. I think the only truly American components on my bike would be my seatpost, stem, fork, hubs, and frame! If we wanted to boycott why not just ride a fixed gear, I believe you could build one up with all American components. Just my $0.02!
Time to go ride!

·
Trail Rider
914 Posts
Ted said:
I'm in the market for a FS bike. I would not hesitate to buy a Moto Lite vs a 5 Spot if that frame fits my needs. I have a Tracer and would like to support American workers. I don't consider the Moto Lite to have inferior quality in any way. All brands experience problems, including Turners. If I decide on a frame with the same weight and a traditional Horst linkage(not ICT or TNT) than I would buy the Titus. If I decide on getting a longer travel frame and adding more weight to my rides, I might try an Intense 5.5 or 6.6 and support the American workers or the ultimate quality built custom frame(Ventana).

Hey, that's just my opinion, but what do I know? Everyone has a different perception of what "good quality" is.

·
K n e e m o i
506 Posts
DaveX said:
Funny thing though, Titus had a weld wire issue with the Locomoto a few years back that required a recall I believe. Guess what country those frames were made in. Hint, it's not in Asia. People can tell themselves all they want that made in America means higher quality then Taiwan, but it's just not true anymore. At this stage of the game if you want a lovingly handcrafted in the USA aluminum dual suspension bike you have 2 choices, Ventana and Ellsworth. Your probably thinking, what about Turner? Well Turners are churned out at Sapa in Portland by American welders who probably care about bikes just as much as an Asian Welder. It's not like Dave Turner is welding those frames.

And whine all you want about the Motolite frame being made in asia but it costs about $1200 vs. a 5 Spot at almost $1,900
I agree. USA BUILT does not necessarily equal HIGHER QUALITY. When there is a mishap, there would be longer time to correct the mistakes, since the are outsourced, but I think that's about it.

I suppose all it comes down to is, "would you not want to buy a bike that is not made by the American people." I guess it is all about feeling. Some say that Lexus built in USA is not really a Lexus, (for example the Lexus RX400 hybrid) so I guess where the product is built matters to some. If it is a good bike with high quality and service, I don't care. If the service and quality goes down, then I'll probably write to Titus and tell them if they were taking crack when they made this decision.

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
This forum has dropped since the Titus enlightenment. I no longer feel aligned with Titus, and no longer have the Titus forum set as my 'homepage' when i click on my MTBR favorite.

I will also reiterate that folks here are more unhappy about the offshoring of work, and not about the concern of lowered quality. If you are aligned with Titus and their direction, at least drop the quality angle.

I'll state for the record that for me(i'm Asian), it is about taking existing work and offshoring it. I'm fine with buying foreign goods that started on foreign soil. If Titus is looking to this for future growth and cost savings, i'll expect to find them in Performance Bike stores, and discounted similarly to K2, Jamis, Felt, etc. With that would also come an expected drop in prices.
I don't buy US, big 3 cars. I really hesitate buying a US built MB or BMW. Those concerns are based on quality. I strongly prefer to buy a Japanese cars, solely based on quality(sure as heck isn't because they have soul or are eye candy). Additionally, i have no issues with recommending to Giant bicycles to friends. I think the Giant CF frames are very well made.

As Trek and Spec build bikes offshore for cost reasons, that seems to be well accepted. I think of those as franchise bikes. Titus is a boutique shop, or were. I bought 3 Titus bikes because they were small, cared about customers, and were made in the US(or so i thought). If Turner and Ventana start offshoring to China/Korea, they'll be off my 'next bike' list too.

Anyway, happy riding. The Titus frames that i have ride great. They are the last Titus frames i'll buy. Additionally, I won't feel compelled to recommend them. Aside from the offshoring aspect, the two other recent things have really turned me off to Titus: 1. The ML chainstay handling by Titus, including their changing story. 2. The decrease in customer service.

What i'd like to see as a part of all this discussion, is perhaps Titus might get the message. That people really do care about keeping Titus in the US. If it were an issue of the ML being $1400 instead of $1300, I, for one, would pay it.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Quattro said:
I'm in the market for a FS bike. I would not hesitate to buy a Moto Lite vs a 5 Spot if that frame fits my needs. I have a Tracer and would like to support American workers. I don't consider the Moto Lite to have inferior quality in any way. All brands experience problems, including Turners. If I decide on a frame with the same weight and a traditional Horst linkage(not ICT or TNT) than I would buy the Titus. If I decide on getting a longer travel frame and adding more weight to my rides, I might try an Intense 5.5 or 6.6 and support the American workers or the ultimate quality built custom frame(Ventana).

Hey, that's just my opinion, but what do I know? Everyone has a different perception of what "good quality" is.
I have owned both a Cannondale and an Intense based on the fact that they were made in the USA. The Cannondale I purchased was a terrible ride the Intense Tracer was a great bike. Now I weight my purchase most heavily on how the bike rides. Other factors such as price and where the bike is made are important but when I look for a new frame in the next 6 months or so I will not excluding the Moto Lite because it is made in Asia. In fact, given that the price is about $500 less than the competition (5.5, 5 spot, etc) it looks very good.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Just for clarifications sake is was Kinesis that moved their manufacturing overseas. Chris Cocalis already explained in this forum that they would have lost a full year of production had they changed vendors.

Personally I align myself with my family and friends, but to each their own.

·
Registered
43 Posts
DaveX said:
Just for clarifications sake is was Kinesis that moved their manufacturing overseas. Chris Cocalis already explained in this forum that they would have lost a full year of production had they changed vendors.

Yeah well, what's Cocalis' excuse for moving RacerX production overseas? The X was built on-site in Tempe, correct?

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
DaveX said:

Personally I align myself with my family and friends, but to each their own.
Dave-x, you are correct about Kenisis. You seem to also be in the know about the rest of the story and perhaps are choosing to leave out the fact that Titus planned on moving the RX front triangle work offshore, as well as other aluminum work. Titus has, since then, stated they'll keep the aluminum work here in the US for the time being, and that only the ML will be offshored.

Good statement about the alignining with family and friends. I fully concur.

·
Registered
582 Posts
MOJO67 said:
Yeah well, what's Cocalis' excuse for moving RacerX production overseas? The X was built on-site in Tempe, correct?
Ask him, [email protected]. I actually know nothing of their plans with the Racer X

If indeed the Racer X's are not being made in Tempe it probably has something to do with Chris wanting his business to suceed. He is an entrepreneur after all.

Chris Chance
Gary Fisher
Gary Klein
Litespeed
Merlin
Spooky
Rygin

Just a few of the people and companies that either sold out or went out of business. I certainly can't speak for Chris but I kinda doubt he want's to sell out to Trek or the American Bike Group.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.