Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the husband just left for work. I might be able to get in a question without him seeing it later tonight.

I had posted in someone elses thread about whether, or not, a DXHAir was a good switch from the RP3 on the 5-spot. Now it looks like there is at least one more choice.

Choice one--Push the RP3. Cheapest, but not really a surprise. He might notice the ride difference with a missing shock from the bike.

Choice two--DHXAir. Seems mixed opinions. Good shock lots of tuneability (which can also be it's drawback).

Choice three--Avalanche. Most expensive (but, hey, it's only the kids' college education, right?) but just started reading about how nice it is.

He's 200lbs and has a motto (although he doesn't actually say it, that would be kind of funny) of "it's only an obstacle if you go around it." So far, his two foot-to-flat test is bottoming out the RP3.

So, 'tis the season. What to do?

Oh, he has the earwax AM1 fork up front, if that plays a factor at all.

crazyhouse

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Probably not what you want to hear but my vote would be PUSH the RP3. Tuned to his riding style - a perfect fit

The DHX-A is quite a polarizing shock. Some hate it but I love it. You hubby could be one of the haters which would make the gift suck.

DHX-C - make this option 4. A nice shock as most agree but heavier than the RP3. If the hubby is not a weight weenie this might be the one.

Avy - lots of $$

·
I think I need to Upgrade
1,620 Posts
crazyhouse_5 said:
So, the husband just left for work. I might be able to get in a question without him seeing it later tonight.

I had posted in someone elses thread about whether, or not, a DXHAir was a good switch from the RP3 on the 5-spot. Now it looks like there is at least one more choice.

Choice one--Push the RP3. Cheapest, but not really a surprise. He might notice the ride difference with a missing shock from the bike.

Choice two--DHXAir. Seems mixed opinions. Good shock lots of tuneability (which can also be it's drawback).

Choice three--Avalanche. Most expensive (but, hey, it's only the kids' college education, right?) but just started reading about how nice it is.

He's 200lbs and has a motto (although he doesn't actually say it, that would be kind of funny) of "it's only an obstacle if you go around it." So far, his two foot-to-flat test is bottoming out the RP3.

So, 'tis the season. What to do?

Oh, he has the earwax AM1 fork up front, if that plays a factor at all.

crazyhouse
6-Pack!! :D

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
Hmmmm.
I how should I put this..........

If my wife secretly bought me an Avy:

I would stick out my tongue, tell her to have a seat and go for a ride.

:D :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
Well put by SSINGA and I agree completely.
I agree with SSinGa too. The PUSH'd RP3 is just awesome and the DHX air actually works well on the 5 Spot. I didn't like it much on the 6Pack.

This won't help since you need one for XMas but I would hold off on buying an Avy till next year since they will be offering a new model with separate external High and Low Speed Compression adjustments.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Push it!!

I Pushed my RP3, and I would have to say it's the way to go. Tuning a great shock to specific personal specs without breaking the bank, and Push does a great job keeping their customers happy. Go for it, he'll love it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like the votes are coming in for the Push'd RP3.

I can see it now, "I think we should Push your shock".

One thing leads to another, "Oh, you were talking about the bike"?

How's this, Push the shock now and maybe get the new Avalanche that Scubapro mentioned for a June birthday?

About how long is the turnaround on the Push?

crazyhouse

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
You could also get a PUSHed RP3 directly from PUSH and resell the RP3 that's on there after Christmas. I haven't ridden a PUSHed RP3, only a stock one. I rode DHX coil as well. I have DHX air on my 5Spot now and absolutely love how it rides as well as the tunability of it, which the RP3 does not have. The adjustibility of the shock is particularly handy in my application as I keep pushing the envelope with just about every ride and am continuously retuning the shock to my "new riding standards". But as SSinGA said, it is a very polarizing shock and it has so much tunability that your hubby might need to take an evening course in suspension setup to get it working right. He might also set it up in such a way that he hates it. He might be a tinkerer and love it, at the same time. -

_MK

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
crazyhouse_5 said:
How's this, Push the shock now and maybe get the new Avalanche that Scubapro mentioned for a June birthday?
crazyhouse
Wow! You're just awesome. I need to introduce you to my wife. :D

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
crazyhouse_5 said:
Push the shock now and use the money (plenty of it) from the cost of the Avy to get a different frame.

If you're going to go big (we're talking about the bike, right?), might as well go all the way...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.