Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm off work tomorrow and can't decide whether to do a long mtn bike ride or a hike.

I'd like to summit something and it doesn't have to be a 14er, but I'd like it to be some work (aka 3+ hours for the average person).

Does anyone have any ideas or know of a good mtn bike / hike (scramble) combination that would make for a really nice day out?

I'll be leaving from the South Denver Metro Area (Centennial/DTC) and would like to leave early, before traffic, drive a couple hours or less, then return.

Thanks for any suggestions. I haven't posted here often, but I do read and follow a lot of the advice passed around (thanks to all who leave it).

Tony

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm a big fan of James Peak from St. Mary's Glacier. The mountain bike portion would be on a jeep road that makes a loop through the tundra area. Great views and no people up top.

Of course, hiking up and down the snowfield is pretty fun too, but that eliminates the need for a bike (and thus the need to discuss it in this forum).

Other thoughts: Back side of Grey's Peak from Chihuahua Gulch (jeep road too), Byers Peak near Frasier, and lots of stuff in Summit Co.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I've been up Bancroft and remember looking over at James Peak. I can see how that would make a nice ride/hike. I can also see how maybe just skipping the whole 4x4 rough road portion and just do it all from the pavement.

I am not familiar with the back side of Grey's. I have run up Grey's and Torreys before from the standard route. I'll have to look into getting to the trailhead, drive time, etc.

I'm thinking about taking my 6 month old GSP (German Shorthaired Pointer) which is full of energy. Just not sure how far I can push him.

Any thoughts on which would make for better dog hiking?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.