Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently ride a 2005 Specialized FSR XC, but I just don't like the way it handles. I'm looking to sell that bike and to purchase a hardtail mtb to be used for XC based, technical, rolling hill-type single track. Something that does not require a lot of maintenance but is a lot of fun to ride. I'm looking to spend $1,200 or less. The reviews for the Santa Cruz Chameleon seem very high, as do those for hardtail Stumpjumpers. I do not do any serious jumping but would like a bike that is durable. I weigh 195 lbs and am 6'0 in height. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Follow the hype.

I say go for the Santa Cruz Chameleon. It's more relaxed than a XC Race hardtail, but you didn't mention if you were going to be racing or not. If you are, the Kona Kula is a good bet. The Chameleon is very versatile though. I am getting one built right now and it will serve as my all around hardtail.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
go steel...

Prosecutor said:
I currently ride a 2005 Specialized FSR XC, but I just don't like the way it handles. I'm looking to sell that bike and to purchase a hardtail mtb to be used for XC based, technical, rolling hill-type single track. Something that does not require a lot of maintenance but is a lot of fun to ride. I'm looking to spend $1,200 or less. The reviews for the Santa Cruz Chameleon seem very high, as do those for hardtail Stumpjumpers. I do not do any serious jumping but would like a bike that is durable. I weigh 195 lbs and am 6'0 in height. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
the jamis dakota xc and rocky mountain hammer are two great steel hardtails that can be had in your price range. also the voodoo wanga, which can be run geared or single speed. for the type of terrain you ride any one of these 3 will be extremely good choices.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.