Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal: I keep slicing small gashes on my rear tire on the tread side -- Maxxis Ignitor 29x2.1 run tubeless with Stan's conversion at 30 psi using "slime". This usually happens when I ride over a rock of some sort but I don't ride particularly rocky terrain. Could be just bad luck, but am seeking something new.

About me: I ride a hardtail. Weigh about 230. No problems with front tire (same Ignitors). Put a hole in the last 3 pairs of Ignitors, twice on almost new tires. (<5 rides each). Slices are such that tubeless "slime" doesn't fill it. I know this likely has something to do with riding style / weight, but barring huge changes to that, what is recommended? Or should I just run lower pressure?

Don't really care about weight or tread or size. Just want something that will hold air at this point. Ride mostly cross country in Santa Monica. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

·
Missouri sucks...
2,305 Posts
Are your Ignitors the EXO version? Any of the new Maxxis EXO tires, Schwalbe Snakeskin...basically, look for a tire with sidewall protection built in. They cost more but are trouble free and will last longer. If you have a particular tire you want to try, go the manufacturers website and see if they offer a reinforced sidewall model;)

FYI, a lot of guys are running the Ignitor in front and the Maxxis IKON in the rear. Get an EXO version and it should be a really nice tire combination;)

And I'm sure it's not "recommended", but those trashed Ignitors might be able to be repaired and used on the front tubeless. Stitch them up tightly with a strong thread and then coat the repair from the inside with an epoxy and try to re-inflate and see if the sealant has enough obstacle to work with. It's hit and miss but it's worked a few times for me. If nothing else, stitch them up and you could always use a tube with them. If you refuse to use a tube, maybe a riding buddy would want them?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm. Very interesting idea about salvaging an otherwise sound tire. Will think on it.

And no wasn't EXO. That said, the gashes are not on the sidewall. They are on the "dirt side" of the tire. Between the tread. And if not dead center, then just off center. Would a reinforced sidewall help that?

Thanks again.

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
Run stans instead of slime, you should have better sealing characteristics. I run cheap CST Caballeros on my 29'er. Pick better, cleaner lines, and you should have less problems with flats. Also at 230 pounds, go with a wider tire, like a 2.25 or a Rampage 2.35 in the rear, to distribute your weight better.

·
no, I'm not riding SS
184 Posts
6'5", 225 here, also on a hardtail. Run Maxxis Ardent up front (2.25) and a Geax Saguaro in the rear, and have had absolutely no problems here in the rocky/rooty mid atlantic. Set up tubeless with 2:1 Stans:Slime (auto version with BIG black bits within), and some glitter for good measure. 30 PSI up front, 32 PSI out back. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
looks like consensus is go with something bigger for starters so am looking at rampage 2.35, exiwolf 2.3 and weirwolf 2.55.

talk to me about this stan / slime / auto version brew. there is a special auto version of slime with big black bits in it? was seduced by slime on promise it never dried out but hell, if it doesn't seal holes, who cares.

thanks again.

·
Registered
156 Posts
If the holes are not overly large, you can actually patch the tire with a standard tube patch kit. Clean the inside of the surrounding the puncture with automotive brake cleaner, rough up the interior of the tire the same as you would a tube, and patch the same as with a tube. I have run punctured tires tubless following patching several times and have never had any problems.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
You should be looking at 'tubeless ready' tires if you can. Those have stronger sidewalls that are generally burlier and less likely to get gashed open.

One good example is the Bontrager FR3. It's significantly heaver than non-tubeless specific tires, and they have much stronger sidewalls than the Rampages on my bike now.

There are very few 'tubeless' tires for 29ers at all (I think Geax has one) so you're really looking for 'tubeless ready'.

·
no, I'm not riding SS
184 Posts
Sure--I've found that this ratio does not dry out really at all (still had ~1 scoop after 5 months) and the real interesting thing is that the alien boogers did not form, as when one uses Stans alone. Here's what I added to the stans:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1885078&CAWELAID=109389786

The slime is pretty thick by itself, but I find that when mixed with stans, it flows/coats very well. never flatted with this mixture.

hope this helps

·
There's always next year.
877 Posts
otisinLA said:
Here's the deal: I keep slicing small gashes on my rear tire on the tread side -- Maxxis Ignitor 29x2.1 run tubeless with Stan's conversion at 30 psi using "slime". This usually happens when I ride over a rock of some sort but I don't ride particularly rocky terrain. Could be just bad luck, but am seeking something new.

About me: I ride a hardtail. Weigh about 230. No problems with front tire (same Ignitors). Put a hole in the last 3 pairs of Ignitors, twice on almost new tires. (<5 rides each). Slices are such that tubeless "slime" doesn't fill it. I know this likely has something to do with riding style / weight, but barring huge changes to that, what is recommended? Or should I just run lower pressure?

Don't really care about weight or tread or size. Just want something that will hold air at this point. Ride mostly cross country in Santa Monica. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
I'm abit late to the party, but I'm similar to you in size and have really enjoyed the Maxxis Ardent in the 2.4 size on my FS bike. They've been put through the ringer in SoCal and in Washington state, and no gashes at all. I don't know that the 2.4s fit every bike in the back (they're the biggest tires I've run) but if you can fit them, they should be solid performers for you. And, they're pretty good rollers for their size in my opinion.

Would also echo what others say. I'd look for Maxxis tires with the EXO sidewalls (or other companies similar models), which should be helpful keeping tires alive.

·
Registered
723 Posts
for a rear tire, i wouldn't go with such an big aggressive tire as the rampage or ardent. although they will give you more protection from rocks (i've run rampages in the rear through desert rocky conditions with no problems) you will probably feel a big difference in speed as they will slow you down due to rolling resistance. i wanted more speed to keep the 29er momentum going and have tried in the rear WTB nano, rampage, ignitors, bonty XDX, bonty 29-3 and now WTB wolverines. the nanos were surprisingly resistant to wear, ran fast but lacked grip and fit loosely on stans rims. rampages out back were grippy, confidence inspiring, but felt like throwing out a boat anchor. the ignitors worked okay and i got the speed back from the slower rampages but they seemed to squirm alot if i didn't get the pressure high enough (i'm 210 lbs) so in the end they weren't as grippy as i wanted. the XDX has tough side walls and runs fast, but also wears really fast ( i tried to fix a torn XDX with the wrong epoxy and it caused a big blister and finally ruined the tire). i tried experimenting with lower tire weight high volume tire with bonty 29-3 TLR team issue tire which turned out to be a disaster in my opinion. too thin side walls and i ripped 2 of them in 3 months use. their sidewall profile bulges outward making them more susceptible to rock hits. what was interesting that running tubeless 29-3 front and back (675 grams each) was not faster than the heavier rampage/ignitor combination with slime filled tubes i was running earlier. WTB wolverine runs slower than the XDX and ignitor out back but faster than the rampage as a rear tire. it is is grippier than the XDX and ignitors and has good sidewalls and the tread seems tough (for comparison, the wolverine is an 780 gram 2.2 tire, about the same weight but narrower than the 2.35 rampage). it seals quick with stan's goo on stans rim so after riding 3 solid months, i'm happy with the wolverines for now. good luck with your choice!

·
change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
3,838 Posts
Tough, but heavy tires that can be run tubeless - FR3, Captain Armadillo, TNT Saguaro. I had two XDXs fail. I run the FR3s on my SS, and recently switched from Saguaros to TNT AKAs on my FS, so the jury is still out on them. A more trail combo I like is the Captain rear, FR3 front on my other FS.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.