Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I'm taking my 27.5" Orbea Rallon x10 (2015) to Morzine shortly. I was advised to bring a spare tyre (or even 2?) if I can get them on sale.

What I'm currently running on the bike:
Rear: 2.3 WTB Vigilante (tough, fast rolling)
Front: 2.3 Maxxis shorty (3C, Maxx terra, EXO, TR)

Any tips on what to bring? Funds are pretty tight so if I was to bring just 1 tyre, what would you recommend?... or is it essential to bring 2 tyres on a trip like this?? I'll be there for 9 days.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations! :)

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,814 Posts
Well, chances of getting the exact same size tire are kind of slim sometimes and I like running a bigger tire up front. I would not want to run a bigger tire in the rear. This would kind of limit me, but I've run the vigilante before and I like it. I'd think you'd want some slightly beefier tires for Morzine. I don't think it's essential to bring two tires and I'd assume that you won't be that far from a bike shop where you can buy something in a pinch if you need to. If anything, I'd beef up the tires slightly before you go, like DHF/DHR.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips :) I wanted to get a cheap spare before the trip as I heard tyres ain't so cheap there.

So you reckon that the tyres I already have installed are a bit flimsy for the trails there and should instead opt for downhill tyres? Hmmm. I'll be doing a mix of all sorts of riding so I thought these would be a good compromise. I'll look into more rugged tyre on sale all the same ;)

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I'd take an extra Vigilante. It's typically used as a front tire, so it'll work up front if the Shorty fails. Also, I use a Vigilante with the light/high grip casing, and it is pretty tough, as is the Trail Boss light/fast rolling I use on the rear. So I would assume the tough/fast rolling casing would be near indestructible.

But, if you're making the trip (Ireland to France?), you might consider a second spare in case you can't get one locally in a pinch. If it were me, I'd take two Vigilante's.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I would focus on front tire options. You can always put a front tire on the back and it will work. Putting a cross country tire on the front could cause disaster.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all your tips, guys! A big help. Still looking out for deals, but if I don't find anything suitable then I'll go without a spare and hope to get one at a bike shop in Les Gets if needed

Has anyone ever bought tyres there? Are they stupidly expensive??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If anything, I'd beef up the tires slightly before you go, like DHF/DHR.
How bout this combo for 60 pound all in?

DHF:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00U92PLZI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

DHR:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B019WHUU6A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

These are the "dual compound" versions, not the 3c, so I'm not sure if that's any good. Maybe less grippy in the wet? Also the "EXO" casing on those might be resilient enough for alps?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.