Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new member although I have been lurking around for a few weeks trying to learn as much as I can. My family is getting into biking since moving to a neighborhood with some bike paths and having a park with a bike trail nearby. My wife recently bought a Specialized Hardrock Sport and I am looking for a bike for myself.

1) Your budget. I am looking to spend less than $500. Hopefully between 3-400 if possible but if a few $ more gets a substantial upgrade I might consider it.
2) What bikes, if any, are you already considering? I have looked at the Specialized Hardrock, Trek 4300, and the Haro V2.
3) What type of riding do you intend to do? Mostly cross country and some paved paths. Local nature preserve and state parks have numerous options for mountain biking that I would like to explore.
4) Do you have a preference over a hardtail or full suspension? Hardtail based on my budget and needs.
5) Age, weight and height. 41, 6'2", 185#
6) What sources will you consider buying from? I want to buy from a LBS since I am a beginner and want the setup and service. There are several large bike shops nearby (North Dallas area)
7) Do you want people to offer you alternative suggestions to issues such as budget, bikes already considered, and sources? Would welcome suggestions as long as available at LBS and <$500.

Thanks. I appreciate everyone's opinions. Especially opinions on the Haro [email protected] which I found on sale for a very attractive price.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was sTate parks not sKate parks. Many of the Texas State Parks have biking trails. I also have a Nature Preserve about 2 miles away that has a biking trail.

Thanks.

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
Most of us just ride, we don't compete, and we don't have sponsors so finding a bike that offers a good balance of performance and durability is the way to go.

The Hardrock falls into this category... "hella strong" always works for me.

I like hardtails and rigids as you get good bang for your buck and they'll take you anywhere you want to go.

Trek also makes a solid bike...some might complain that they're boring as hell but mine have been boring the hell out of me for a long time and have proved themselves to be very reliable machines.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I do not think Specialized is best deal

I started out looking at the Hardrock; but after shopping in Houston for a day I found a much better bike. I got a Motobecane 700HT for $450

First, the Specialized is made in China and the Motobecane is made in Taiwan. Welds look much better on the Motobecane

Next - all the specs are higher level on the Motobecane -- Deore / XT gears, Tektro Aquila disc brakes, Weinmann double wall rims, WTB saddle, tires, etc

If you are in Dallas, I am sure you can find that bike as dealers in Houston all knew about it.

Good luck

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have a hardrock and I really like it (also better looking than 4300).
I do very similar style of riding that you will do. I don't have any problem with hardrock so far.

if you can find the performance bike shop near your area, you might look at Iron horse or GT. have you ever look at close out gary fisher bike? wahoo, marlin or Tassajara (might be over your budget).

Go to LBS and try out bikes and if you buy V- brake equipped bike, just make sure you will buy disk brake ready bike for future upgrade.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
deepetexas, I don't think it would matter that the hardrock is made in China, because its still really strong.. and I don't see motobecanes being used for urban assault and surviving, eh?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.