Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Edison, NJ
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the See Stour 29er is a single speed. When i ride i usualy keep my bike in gear 2 and rarely change it, so i figure that it would suit me well. Is their some way to change if it will feel like it is in gear 2 or gear 5? Or is it just a set from the factory. I guess im asking if their is some sort of a set screw to change the way the bike feels when you pedal.

(sorry if this is confusing, i dont know how to word it)

·
3,707 Posts
If you're asking if the gearing can be changed, yes it can. You can get different chainring/cog combo to suit your trails. Most people go with something like 32T chainring on the front and 20T on the rear. It's pretty hilly where I'm at, so I switch between a 20T and 22T in the rear.

BTW, it's "SE" Stout, not See.

·
Edison, NJ
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. i also see that the largest size they carry is a 17in. would this fit me? (i am 5"11) it seems a bit small, is this usual for a 29er? Also, is everything included with the bike to change the gearing?

·
3,707 Posts
It depends on the geo of the bike, but generally speaking, 17" would be ok for you. I'm the same height, and I can either go 17" or 19".

No, nothing is included to change out the gearing. You need a lockring tool, chain whip, and possibly extra chain links to get a bigger cog on there. I'm sure your LBS (local bike shop) can take care of this for you if you buy a cog/chain from them.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I am 5' 11" and ride a 17" Stout. Perfect fit for me. You will have to play with the gearing depending on your terrain. I run a 21 tooth in the rear as I have a lot of climbing where I live.

·
Registered
390 Posts
hey proline...did i see you posted a pic of your big ripper in another thread?
i was real close to getting one but ended up buying the stout cuz it was so cheap on jensen. your a lucky guy to have both, lemme guess did you ride rippers as a kid in bmx? waddaya think about the pros & cons of each? love that color on your stout, its from 08? & the landing gear fork is a nice touch, is that the 700c from se? anyway, since i know i am going to eventually give in to gearing my stout, maybe you could tell more about your set-up?

·
Registered
212 Posts
markaitch said:
hey proline...did i see you posted a pic of your big ripper in another thread?
i was real close to getting one but ended up buying the stout cuz it was so cheap on jensen. your a lucky guy to have both, lemme guess did you ride rippers as a kid in bmx? waddaya think about the pros & cons of each? love that color on your stout, its from 08? & the landing gear fork is a nice touch, is that the 700c from se? anyway, since i know i am going to eventually give in to gearing my stout, maybe you could tell more about your set-up?
Yes sir ive got a Big Ripper also , thats why i geared the Stout up no need for a secound SS . Yes this Stout is an 08 but i got the Landing Gear fork of the bay since they dont issue them on there and since im not running disc brakes i thought it look better . Im into BMX check out my collection on this link http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/user/12506
But theres no way ill ever let go of my 29ers theyre the best size for us grown up kids - i do have 20" bikes but more for show and the 24" Floval i built up for the wife even thou she dont ride it . My 26" OM ( Old Man ) Flyer is just for show and tell .Built up with as many
NOS parts for the 80s since its a Retro . The gearing on SE Stout was taken from a KE Zed that i found on CL and all the hangers , clamps and gears fit perfect - just replaced all the cable not bad for $50 and still have the other bike that im turning into a SS 26er w/discs . LMK if you have any other questions

·
Registered
390 Posts
that teaches me to pay better attention to the pics people go to so much trouble to post. after looking closer i see you got triple chainring up front. had been ASSuming it was a 1x setup. cool!

·
Registered
390 Posts
well after a weekend of riding my new stout i gotta question...

are any of you stout riders using it much on the street?
it is really flat here.
i ride back & forth to the bike park & all over town & the current gear ratio is terrible for me. on my stumpy i spent 99% of the time on the big chainring, even off-road. i wanted to hold off gearing my stout, but maybe it is unavoidable for me? or anybody got any suggestions on a single ratio that will work to make this my do-everything, go-anywhere bike?

·
Registered
212 Posts
markaitch - at first i was running a 40/16 on my Big Ripper almost identical bike which was i little high , until you build up the leg muscles . Now im running 39/18 which is too low for comfort , probly throw on a 17 tooth freewheel and see how that works but some of my friends are using - 16/33 gear ratio for cruising...and 20/33 for hitting the trails . The best thing i guess is try a couple of different cogs and take it from there

·
Registered
390 Posts
'preciate the suggestions proline...

help me with a couple more q's, pleez?

when you changed the parts over from the zed...did the crankset fit the stouts bb or did you swap the bb over too?

tell me waddaya think of this idea...

maybe set it up as a 2x2? 1 speed for the street, 1 for when i get to the trail. try to find 2 ratios that work with the chain (& my purpose) & change it by hand when i get there? then i only need to add 1 cog & 1 chainring...can save the weight, complications & expense of multi-gearing. does this make any sense?

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
He's talking about the geometry

p nut said:
It depends on the geo of the bike, but generally speaking, 17" would be ok for you. I'm the same height, and I can either go 17" or 19".

No, nothing is included to change out the gearing. You need a lockring tool, chain whip, and possibly extra chain links to get a bigger cog on there. I'm sure your LBS (local bike shop) can take care of this for you if you buy a cog/chain from them.
I have a feeling english is his second language.

So... yeah. The 17" size refers to how long the seat tube is, which really doesn't make much difference in how the bike fits you. If you have a short seat tube, you can make up for it with a longer seat post, right? Frames can be like a perfect diamond shape, or lower more like a long double triangle with a straight line running from the head tube to the rear dropouts.

The point is, you can't really compare how a bike is going to fit you by what the manufacturers call frame size. Large, medium, small are better descriptions, but even that sizing system is basically pulled out of thin air. I rode medium size frames for a long time before I discovered that they were really too small for me. I started riding large frames and was much happier. I got a large Monocog 29er and it was perfect. I wanted a geared bike, so I got a cheapo Motobecane frame from bikeisland.com in large, and that was a good fit. THen I found a good deal on a Titus RacerX in medium that had the same top tube length as the large Motobecane. That's what I'm on now, and its also pretty dang perfect.

Every manufacturer has their own idea of how high or low a seat tube should be for a given size frame. I once had a medium K2 Razorback frame with a 16" seat tube, and it had the exact same fit as my Giant Yukon with a 19.5" seat tube. The Yukon had less stand over height than my Razorback, but they had exactly the same reach. That is, they both had 23" effective top tubes. The effective top tube length is really what determines how your bike will fit you. The Effective top tube is how long your bike is from the center of the head tube to the center of the seatpost along a line that is parallel (level) to the ground. Actual length can vary by how much slope there is in the tube, but that does not make a difference in how the bike fits.

If the bike really feels small to you, its likely you need a bigger (longer) frame. You might be able to make your existing frame feel better by using a seatpost with more offset (lay back) or a longer stem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
markaitch said:
'preciate the suggestions proline...

help me with a couple more q's, pleez?

when you changed the parts over from the zed...did the crankset fit the stouts bb or did you swap the bb over too?

tell me waddaya think of this idea...

maybe set it up as a 2x2? 1 speed for the street, 1 for when i get to the trail. try to find 2 ratios that work with the chain (& my purpose) & change it by hand when i get there? then i only need to add 1 cog & 1 chainring...can save the weight, complications & expense of multi-gearing. does this make any sense?
Standing by on this one... I was gonna ask the same exact question. I have been riding my Stout on the streets and on the trails. It seems the way it's set now (Stock) is good for the trails but once I get get it out at a good pace on the street it winds out pretty quick.

·
Registered
101 Posts
markaitch said:
well after a weekend of riding my new stout i gotta question...

are any of you stout riders using it much on the street?
it is really flat here.
i ride back & forth to the bike park & all over town & the current gear ratio is terrible for me. on my stumpy i spent 99% of the time on the big chainring, even off-road. i wanted to hold off gearing my stout, but maybe it is unavoidable for me? or anybody got any suggestions on a single ratio that will work to make this my do-everything, go-anywhere bike?
Dude...I got the same issue with mine...and Proline is right...you have to build your legs up and I have been doing that but man...some days.... ALL I do is pedal! I don't have a lot of tall hills...and I am mostly riding on street. Seeing that this year is ALMOST over...I am going to be doing some changes to my Stout this winter!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I took the chain rings only not the BB and all the clamps and everything worked perfect . Ill have to take pics of it all and post em later . Also im putting on a new outboard sealed BB , BMX cranks and and 4 point spyer of from Profile Racing , that way ill just swap the rings again - pics later

I really dont know about the 2X2 i was thinking of going 1X9 for a more variety

·
Registered
101 Posts
proline69 said:
I took the chain rings only not the BB and all the clamps and everything worked perfect . Ill have to take pics of it all and post em later . Also im putting on a new outboard sealed BB , BMX cranks and and 4 point spyer of from Profile Racing , that way ill just swap the rings again - pics later

I really dont know about the 2X2 i was thinking of going 1X9 for a more variety
Heck yeah man...sure would like to see pics of that Profile Crank set up!!! I was thinking about that too! I just read a thread where some one mentioned their cranks!

·
Registered
390 Posts
hey proline69...are you still around?
the time has come for me to finally get to work gearing my stout & you seem to have the most experience around here when it comes to doing it.
btw...did you ever make those new changes to yours?
i am looking for info & advice if you don't mind, or anybody else that can help is welcome to chime in as well!
with the triple-ring crankset you put onto your bike, there was no problem with the big chainring clearing the chainstay?
if not, how much further out did your replacement crank move the big ring vs the original placement of the stock crankset/32t ring?
your bike is the year earlier than mine...
does it have cable stops for the front shifter/derailer? my '09 does not & i can't figure out what to do about that if i do decide to make it a 3x drivetrain.
did you have any front derailer fit or installation issues?
any words of wisdom? anybody?
thanx...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts