Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to be taking a vacation to Sedona next month and was looking for a little advice.

Looking for a do it all trail, nothing too crazy, but certainly want a little challenge. Looking at renting a 6" AM bike.

1st off - what shop do you recommend to rent a bike from?

Not looking for an all day ride (since it will be one of 1st rides for the season), but a good 2 hours sounds good to me. Would prefer to ride something close to town if available.

I've been to Sedona before but it was snowy and cold, so didn't get to ride at all.
Hopefully the weather holds out this time.
Thanks in advance
 

·
Will Guide for Beer
Joined
·
729 Posts
Bike and Bean has a good set of 6" rental bikes.
Red Agave has been a favorite spot for riders. http://www.redagaveresort.com/
Let me know if you are interested in camping info, we've got that too.

Start with Made in the Shade (near the Bean and Agave resort). A good starter trail with all the views and some great challenging obstacles ... Build from there, hopefully you will have a few days to ride. You would also be close to the High Line trail but saw three groups walking that trail in the last few days ... hehehe.

Once you get your dates set up, let us know.

Good Luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,527 Posts
zul said:
Bike and Bean has a good set of 6" rental bikes.
Red Agave has been a favorite spot for riders. http://www.redagaveresort.com/
Let me know if you are interested in camping info, we've got that too.

Start with Made in the Shade (near the Bean and Agave resort). A good starter trail with all the views and some great challenging obstacles ... Build from there, hopefully you will have a few days to ride. You would also be close to the High Line trail but saw three groups walking that trail in the last few days ... hehehe.

Once you get your dates set up, let us know.

Good Luck.
Hey Zul, Ryan on his last three rides on HL has run into bikers walking there bikes with nasty bleeding faces! I'm almost scared to ride with him now after hearing how much carnage he see's out there!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,540 Posts
raisingarizona said:
Hey Zul, Ryan on his last three rides on HL has run into bikers walking there bikes with nasty bleeding faces! I'm almost scared to ride with him now after hearing how much carnage he see's out there!
ra:

I rode Highline today for the first time since late November. Conditions were very good and the backside was in good shape. During the ride up we ran into a group of four riders who were doing some type of photo shoot at the steep wash rock section. Not sure who they were but they seemed to been having a good time.

Here are some new santioned trail loop rides that I put together for those riders who want to stay off our world class social trail system:

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=969600
http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=969577
http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=969241
http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=968843
http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=968815
http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=968803
http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=968788
http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=968788

I am working on eight more and will post them hopefully in the near future. If someone sees some errors in my descriptions please let me know. I usually don't ride the above loops very often so I may have mis-stated some of the intel.

Does anyone do the Turkey Creek ride that could help me with a write up of the out and back? I also need some help with the Bell Park/Courthose beginner ride.

TD
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
860 Posts
TD,

Jennifer said she is too busy to host our trail crews. I don't know what you said to her but it probably didn't help. We are working on a fall-back plan with the Peaks Ranger District, weather permitting. They were quick to respong to emails and quickly got their volunteer coodinator putting together the proper paperwork for us to sign. They even offered to send some help out with us. Despite past differences, the Flagstaff FS trails staff are on the ball. They already are planning to rebuild Little Elden and Little Bear, along with a new reroute of Lower Brookbank, a new trail leading out the back of Buffalo Park, additional work on the Loop Trail, more work on a new trail west of Upper Moto and Secret, and the highest priority to completing the AZ Trail west of Snowbowl Road and the 2-3 miles between Snowbowl Road and Schultz Tank. Not much more that we could ask for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,527 Posts
Yep, the new management and attitude of the FS is awesome now. They are helping us figure out solutions for the FR/DH crowd as well and I'm so excited to make things work, it isn't us vs. them anymore. Good things for mountain biking's future here in N. AZ. :thumbsup: :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow thanks for all the responses!!! you are making me want to move out there.... I'm sure you all get a ton of imports from everywhere already.

On a more serious note - I'm gonna be out there March 11-15th. It is main time of the year that I get to hang with family, but biking will certainly fit in there.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,540 Posts
The Prodigal Son said:
TD,

Jennifer said she is too busy to host our trail crews. I don't know what you said to her but it probably didn't help. We are working on a fall-back plan with the Peaks Ranger District, weather permitting. They were quick to respong to emails and quickly got their volunteer coodinator putting together the proper paperwork for us to sign. They even offered to send some help out with us. Despite past differences, the Flagstaff FS trails staff are on the ball. They already are planning to rebuild Little Elden and Little Bear, along with a new reroute of Lower Brookbank, a new trail leading out the back of Buffalo Park, additional work on the Loop Trail, more work on a new trail west of Upper Moto and Secret, and the highest priority to completing the AZ Trail west of Snowbowl Road and the 2-3 miles between Snowbowl Road and Schultz Tank. Not much more that we could ask for.
TPS:

I don't know what to say about why the FS didn't take you up on the volunteer work offer. The Two Fences trail or Airport loop would have been really improved with your efforts. It is a total mystery to me that in one hand the FS can ask for volunteer help on trail maintenance of system trails and when you come up with something that to me and you makes total sense they don't take the offer.

The FS was worried that they might get some negative feedback on the trail improvements on the Airport Loop, so I told them to put the blame on me and I think they just thought that was crazy. Sounded good to me because I know there would be more positive comments then negative. The locals don't ride the backside anymore because it sucks. There are way too many much better trails to ride now so we don't really consider it worth riding.

Even though the FS considers Airport a potential biking tourist loop, I would never recommend it to a friend. Maybe they really want to keep it more or less a hiking trail, if that is the case that's fine with me.

On the whole I believe the FS/mountain biking relationship is much better than it has ever been. I personally am very happy with how things are going in Sedona, of course I get frustrated with the snails pace that things move sometimes, but as long as we don't go backwards I am a happy camper.

As long as the trails I love to ride are in great shape I don't loose much sleep over the system trail maintenance issues like the Ramshead trail Carroll Canyon wash crossing. It is impossible to ride that section, so I just go around it while tourons and most locals walk through it.

Today, while waiting for some friends to catch up with me at the Red Rock Oak Creek Crossing, I spent about ten minutes picking out smaller rocks lodged between the bigger stepping stone rocks. Why would anyone do such a thing you ask, because it represents initative (doing something that possibly needs to be done without being asked to do it) the end result is that the water running over the stepping stones is lower, so my shoes don't get as wet. Maybe other riders or tourons wanting to cross the creek benefit from my efforts who knows, but, I thought it might improve my user experience as well as others, so I was happy with the result.

Sorry for the rambling, I am going to bed.

TD
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top