Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed some road trip miles so we loaded up the truck and headed out to Sedona for a few days. It was myself and three buddies who are way fitter than me so I was in for some pain.

Loaded up and ready to go

We got there on Pi day so of course

Since we go in late there was no riding, but we went to the Cowboy for dinner and the guys tried the fried rattlesnake. I was a little smarter than them on that one!

First day should be easy so we started on this one

Because anything with the name Teacup should be like Disneyland. Except that there is almost nothing easy about Sedona. Super fun trail section but everything is straight up and straight down! From there we headed over to a fun section on Grand Junction. Lots of cool features and some good flow

Then it was time to get serious. We headed over to Schnebly for the long grind up to..

Hangover Trail. Somebody in our group had the bright idea of riding all of the "H" trails which are also all of the Double Black Diamonds. Personally I thought all of them were pretty gimmicky and I would NOT recommend them unless you have a local guide to show you the lines. After we got done "riding" this trail we talked to one of the guys at Over The Edge. He let us know it was a good thing we didn't attempt certain parts since the white lines are not in the right spots and 18" off in one direction or the other would end up in big slides or unrideable drops. We did ride all of the cliffs etc, but not a few of the sketch DH sections Not a lot of pictures from this one but

Then is was time to grind the pavement home. All in all a nice 21 mile/3K elevation day, but not what I really wanted to be riding.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Day 2 was more of the same. First off it was St Paddy's Day so

We headed over to H2 also known as the Hogs Trails. We started out with a nice climb up to Chicken Point

Yes, that is the infamous "White Line" trail up there. Not sure who the idiot/hero that decided to ride that section first was, but we weren't going anywhere near it! Hogs was more fun than Hangover, but again, not much flow. Just tech single track on the edge of 60' cliffs. There were some very cool turns and sections that were armored with rocks. Obvious that there was a ton of work put in. This section was WAY scarier than it looks in the pics

Also got a nice tatoo on my helmet from this section when a rock slid right as I was compressing my fork to pull up

Then it was on to the flow part of the trail, Pigtail! This was a really cool 1.x mile long section full of jumps, hips and berms.

From there we got lunch and were planning on hitting Hiline

Buuuuut, I wasn't feeling it after hitting my head/hip/shoulder. I bailed and those guys rode on. The nap I took at the house was AWESOME though! Afterwards I picked up the guys cleaned up and headed over to the Irish Pub. Unfortunately they were sold out of food so we headed out for Pizza. Between three of us we put down 3 large pizzas and two full size salads and more beers than I want to admit. Yes, it was a rough day in the saddle.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On to Day 3. These were the trails I had ridden for the last 5 years that I know and love. First we started off at the Broken Arrow parking lot and headed up to Chicken Point. Instead of going back to Hogs we dropped into Little Horse

From there we headed over to Slim Shady. This was definitely the highlight of the entire weekend. Only about 5 minutes long, but 5 minutes of AWESOME! It was so good that there are no pictures of the trail!

Now it was time for the long climb back up Little Horse. Did I mention the amount of tech climbing that you will find in Sedona? Throw in the virtually unlimited traction and you have a climbers delight. It was awesome to see what we could grind up!

Once we got to the top we rode back down again and headed over to Pigtail for another go. Lots of fun hits on this section

Then it was back to the top for another full length run. Have to make sure to post up some real Strava times right? After that it was time to head back to the truck. We were totally blown out at this point so it was naturally time to head to the brewery. Luckily they also have one of the best hot dog places on the planet! Do not miss it and make sure you order the Columbian style dog. I am salivating just thinking about it! They also had some live country music playing and the singer was super cool. We hung out at the bar for a few hours and then it was time to head back and pack up. Until next time!

·
Registered
14,379 Posts

Glad you guys had fun. I love Sedona. We were there for 3 weeks over X'mas/NYE and finally got our hands on a M6 which ended up sealing the deal on what to buy for new bikes. So it was a fortuitous trip. :thumbsup:

I'm not a huge fan of Hangover, but I love Hi-Line and the Hogs. Tons of great riding is Sedona. We challenged ourselves to skip our usual trails are ride new stuff a lot on the last trip and it's amazing what's out there we had not ridden yet.

Glad to see the M6 treated you well there as that's one of the places our bikes will see a lot of action in the winters. :cool:

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Hangover Trail. Somebody in our group had the bright idea of riding all of the "H" trails which are also all of the Double Black Diamonds. Personally I thought all of them were pretty gimmicky and I would NOT recommend them unless you have a local guide to show you the lines. After we got done "riding" this trail we talked to one of the guys at Over The Edge. He let us know it was a good thing we didn't attempt certain parts since the white lines are not in the right spots and 18" off in one direction or the other would end up in big slides or unrideable drops. We did ride all of the cliffs etc, but not a few of the sketch DH sections Not a lot of pictures from this one but
This trail is fine for anyone who has rocks and stuff where they live and isn't neutered by pump track poisoning.

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
Slim Shady is one of the best trails I've ever ridden. I just wish there was more of it :)

·
Registered
14,379 Posts
Slim Shady is one of the best trails I've ever ridden. I just wish there was more of it :)
+1 - We frequently park at the Bike and Bean for south Sedona rides. That way we get a coffee and last shot at a bathroom before we ride and we can roll Slim Shady both ways going and coming back to the car. :)

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
If you could roll Hi-Line then head down Shady, it would be perfect. It's still worth it for me to climb up then do Shady down, then climb up again tho :p

·
Registered
14,379 Posts
I've done the loop from the Bean up Slim Shady over HiLine and back around via Templeton and Easy Breezy then back on Slim Shady. That's pretty fun. I prefer HiLine that direction.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts