Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, heading to Sedona AZ for my 3rd time mtb-ing. I'm bringing my Fezzari Signal Peak (xc/trail bike) Should I run my 27.5+ wheels and tires or my 29's? Which would I benefit the most from as far as performance and technical riding? Give me your opinion, thanks.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Tuff call. I like the roll over of my 29 wheels there. But there are a lot of slow tech moves where the 29 wheels get hung up. I personally have settled on 29. I don’t ride my 27.5+ there anymore. But I’m sure you’ll get just as many who opt for 27.5

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Tuff call. I like the roll over of my 29 wheels there. But there are a lot of slow tech moves where the 29 wheels get hung up. I personally have settled on 29. I don't ride my 27.5+ there anymore. But I'm sure you'll get just as many who opt for 27.5
If you can tell the difference with 1/2" of tire height (if it's even that much), you must be way better than I do.

·
livin' the dream......
1,968 Posts
If you are going to be there more than a day, bring both sets and do one ride on each. I'd be curious to hear the feedback.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have a Pivot Switchblade with both 27.5+ and 29 wheelsets. When in Sedona I prefer 27.5+ wheelset. Granted the bottom bracket height is a little lower when on the plus size wheels but I like the grip of low pressure 2.8's front and rear. There are some steep sandy punchy climbs and the plus size tires tend to grip those better than 29er for me. Granted it could be the tires i'm running vs what others run but I prefer plus size in Sedona.

I just noticed this will be your 3rd MTB ride ever. Sedona is a challenging place to ride so i'm guessing you'll be on the easier trails there. If thats the case then you'll be fine with either wheelset as you wont be riding the technical, high exposure high risk trails.

Have fun and if you like Pizza and Beer be sure to go to Famous Pizza and Beer, there are two locations, one in NW Sedona and the other in Oak Creek by the bike shop there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a Pivot Switchblade with both 27.5+ and 29 wheelsets. When in Sedona I prefer 27.5+ wheelset. Granted the bottom bracket height is a little lower when on the plus size wheels but I like the grip of low pressure 2.8's front and rear. There are some steep sandy punchy climbs and the plus size tires tend to grip those better than 29er for me. Granted it could be the tires i'm running vs what others run but I prefer plus size in Sedona.

I just noticed this will be your 3rd MTB ride ever. Sedona is a challenging place to ride so i'm guessing you'll be on the easier trails there. If thats the case then you'll be fine with either wheelset as you wont be riding the technical, high exposure high risk trails.

Have fun and if you like Pizza and Beer be sure to go to Famous Pizza and Beer, there are two locations, one in NW Sedona and the other in Oak Creek by the bike shop there.
3rd time in Sedona, Ive been riding mtb for a few years. Rock solid intermediate, closing in on advanced :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.