Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
It's a slugfest!
742 Posts
Nice. One could never tell that you aren't comfortable with the editing software. Great footage. Only negative comment would be that the video ended a little abruptly, but definitely left me wanting to see more of your work...

Awesome stuff.

-SS

·
Lone Wolf McQuade
2,418 Posts
The video was well done; editing and music had nice flow to it. The guy riding the rock face at the end was incredible..... don't let his mom see him doing that! :thumbsup:

I agree with SS about the ending being abrupt and also wanting to see more!

Matt

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I completely agree about the end, I tried to make it smoother but nothing seemed to work. With time I'm sure I'll work out the kinks, thanks for your positive feedback though, this was A LOT of freaking work to have just 2:38's worth of footage but I'm stoked now to get more, maybe after a while I will have enough for a whole northern Arizona movie.

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
Well played sir to use an overplayed cliche.

This is just an observation and not a negative comment, but I think I enjoyed the Wasabi and Jedi vid more. Maybe just me but I liked the flow and ebb of the trail as two skilled riders descended both technical trails at a high rate of speed. I could skip the distracting dog. This vid has the awesome scenery and also shots of skilled riders but it is also clear that much of it was sessioned. That's ok too I just like the flow in the other one better. Thanks for the stoke:D

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rockman said:
Well played sir to use an overplayed cliche.

This is just an observation and not a negative comment, but I think I enjoyed the Wasabi and Jedi vid more. Maybe just me but I liked the flow and ebb of the trail as two skilled riders descended both technical trails at a high rate of speed. I could skip the distracting dog. This vid has the awesome scenery and also shots of skilled riders but it is also clear that much of it was sessioned. That's ok too I just like the flow in the other one better. Thanks for the stoke:D
Interesting viewpoint Rockman, I appreciate all opinions as long as they aren't totally dick and negative. I have to say I get tired of all the POV vids out there but I'm stoked you like the ones I have posted. As far as the lines being sessioned your right, in order to get the shots we do that but it is also the Sedona riding experience for folks like me that aren't that much into the slow trail riding down there. It's what I love about Sedona, scouting and hitting short lines.

·
My other ride is your mom
5,442 Posts
The best videos I've seen, in my humble opinion, are those that show a mix of the sweeping landscape shots like you have in this last video, intercut with some POV stuff or other tight shots.....pure POV (or pure "anything") stuff just gets boring after a while

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
One of the riders in there is very, very confident and smooth, almost fluid in their motions while riding. Makes it look effortless.

I'd suggest to keep the close ups or POV clips to around 5 or 6 seconds max... mix them up as you see fit... the panorama views and longer, as long as some panning is involved, should be longer, up to 12 or 15 seconds, it really adds scale to the grandness of the Red Rock that makes Sedona so spectaclular. See if you can you can make fade aways, cuts, etc it work with the song used during bridges, choruses, harmonys, on a drum beat, on a bass line etc.

Nice clips. yeah, collecting and editing is a lot of work.

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
love the clips, and mostly really liked the vid and the riding. thanks for posting!

I think POV is ok, but only when what you see calls for it -- often the actual riding terrain doesn't show well, but for cool scenery etc i like POV. a few pov shots I took that, in my mind, fit the bill were rolling on busy streets where the pov showed the activity but you weren't really concerned with trying to capture the view of the trail per se. If that made any sense??

on some of your shots where the rider is doing a lot of stuff quickly - like some of the double jumps etc - sometimes giving the viewer a second to focus on the scene before the action happens is good, so they can be ready to see the bike coming into the picture.

and far more chicks, guns, and firetrucks!!

·
"No Clue Crew"
1,231 Posts
If the video had naked chicks in it I would probably call in sick today.
Ah, who am I fooling I will probably call in sick anyway. Even though I just got off the bike, this video makes me wanna jump right back on.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,815 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of POV videos either. I think a carefuly spliced video like yours is better, maybe a few POV sections, but it's cool to see an entire "run" from something other than POV and how the rider looks going down all the sections. That is what I like to watch. The only slight negative I can think of is that it can give the wrong impression of a trail and can make it look like wasabi by cutting out all the "lame" parts, even though it's not, although that is also possible with a lot of cuts and editing with POV.

·
My other ride is your mom
5,442 Posts
raisingarizona said:
So......a little more POV (but not too much) , some brushing up on the editing, and some naked chicks? I'll see what I can do.
I'm guessing you've seen Jermey Jones flick, "Deeper"....right? I think his movies break the current 'stoke pron' paradigm by focusing more on the journey and.......wait for it.....'setting and context'....than the POV stuff.

You got it already...hell...you have the toughest stuff to film...the artsy stuff.....double up on long-range shots of the hairy stuff which you already have....with POV stuff of the same stuff to provide perspective to the action. Bonus here is that the POV can be lower rez and gritty for dramatic effect vs. high rez of the wide-sweeping pano and context shots....but as the dude says.......that's just my opinion, MAN:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.