Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last week the riding conditions have been great especially on South, East and West slopes. North facing shaded slopes maybe wet with some small patches of snow. Upper Hangover and sections of Damifino have large patches of snow and ice remaining.

The Hogs are pretty much all rideable with small patches of snow and ice. Pretty much all other trails are totally rideable.

On Sunday a group of Prescott and Phoenix rides hit the trails in the VOC, Cathedral and Broken Arrow Areas. I think a large majority of the riders really enjoyed the ride and some were getting acquainted with some of the Sedona challenging sections that exist on most every trail.

Today the locals and one rider from Flag enjoyed one of our longtime favorite rides (Mescal) with several old routes incorporated into the normal routing. After finishing Mescal we headed down Canyon of Fools for a little wall riding in primo conditions.

After crossing Boyton Pass Road we headed out Dawa to the Cockscomb Trail to ride the Christmas Wash trail. This trail is becoming a local favorite and is definitely a low speed skill tester. This ride is best suited for 5" travel or larger bikes due to the rocky wash conditions.

Once completing the wash ride the group split either taking Anaconda or Two Fences back to Dry Creek Road.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Was just up in Sedona for my first time today and the trails did look to be in fine condition.. I went up with the SO to hit some of the touristy stuff and get that out of the way. It was pure torture driving/hiking watching all the happy MTBers! I can't wait to get up there soon on a bike.

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tonebone2000 said:
Was just up in Sedona for my first time today and the trails did look to be in fine condition.. I went up with the SO to hit some of the touristy stuff and get that out of the way. It was pure torture driving/hiking watching all the happy MTBers! I can't wait to get up there soon on a bike.
TB:

Good to have you checking things out. Hurry back and help us get the Sedona economy back on track while riding some of the best year round singletrack in the universe.

TD

Attachments

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Baldy88 said:
Getting ready to fly in tomorrow. We will be staying by Bike & Bean Thursday night and riding Sedona all day Friday. Looking forward to it. This is becoming an annual ritual.
88:

If you are an advanced rider you are going to be amazed at the riding opprotunities that you have this year.

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Baldy88 said:
What is the Huckaby Trail like? And the Thompson?
They aren't my favorites, but some people seem to like them. I would guess that you are looking to do some kind of loop and those two trails certainly can make for a loop. I think they suck, but others like it for some reason.

If you knew where the social trails were that parallell Jim Thompson it makes for a more singletrack technical ride, but it impossible to describe how to find those trails.

If you like a scenic loop with steep climbing and wide fast rubbely trail riding you will love it. It would be nice for you to ride it and let me know how you would discribe the ride.

Lama and an out and back on Templeton to H.T. would ba a better ride IMHO.

TD

·
In the rear with the beer
1,314 Posts
Are Llama, bell rock area, chicken point, cathedral area stuff looking good for this weekend? My wife and I are heading to flag for the weekend, but may drop down to sedona one afternoon to turn the cranks a little......and thaw out....

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,874 Posts
bigdudecycling said:
Are Llama, bell rock area, chicken point, cathedral area stuff looking good for this weekend? My wife and I are heading to flag for the weekend, but may drop down to sedona one afternoon to turn the cranks a little......and thaw out....
I've been to Sedona a few times in the last week. The answer is absolutely.

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Templeton Update

A group of local passionate riders recently decided to step up and fix up the Templeton alignment across from Buda Beach. Due to lack of funding and low priority this section of trail has been left untouched after the major flooding event more than five years ago.

Many people think the time taken to make this very popular section of trail totally rideable by advanced or better riders was a waste of time. Time will tell whether the investment was worthwhile or not. It was a fun project for those who consider hard work and making a popular unrideable section of trail ridable again.

During a four hour period of working on the trail today more than 40 hikers and bikers expressed a positive view of the work being done.

As the work crew left the Budha beach area and climb up the really steep section of Templeton, it was decided to fix the first unrideable 2' high step spot below the dangerous switchback. Since we only had an army shovel and small rock hammer, the fix took a little ingenuity, but the highly determined crew made it happen and now a good intermediate rider should be able to clean that spot and get up the trail another 150' or so.

My goal is to try and make that section more sustainable with better outsloping and to be able to climb a little higher w/o dabbing. That's my story and I am sticking to it.

TD

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.