Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so were headed out to prescott and sedona for a week leaving on saturday, and wanted to know how the conditions are. Also, if there was a single trail (or 2) in prescott and in sedona that i have to ride, what would they be? Thanks folks i really appreciate the advice and insight!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sedona is pretty good, I think. There might be a couple puddles but it hasn't rained really in the past day and a half. If you want one trail that is really fun to ride I would say Broken Arrow/ Submarine Rock loop is one of the best.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Trail 305 behind Costco is a good trail but is a bit soupy. With more rain on the way it will not get any better. The Granite Basin area has some great trails but was snow covered last week when I was there. Jayem will chime in shortly.

I am going to try trail 396 at White Spar Campground this morning and will let you know how it is.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,806 Posts
Sedona is probably your better bet. It's supposed to snow tomorrow a little heavier, and most of the trails have snow on them, it's semi-packed, but deep in some places where you really need a pugsly to take advanage of it and be albe to ride without sinking in. I could probably find some places to ride as it stands, but most of the trails have snow and you'd have to know what trails to hit that have extensive south-faces. Once it snows more, it might all be outta the question until a few days of sunshine (which is in the forecast).

I know 396 won't go well past the first few hundred yards, most of the trail is on the north slope, and there will probably be serious snow. ALL of the trails were probably rideable right after the snow, because you'd sink down close to the ground, but now with it being some what crusty and frozen underneath you tend to slide/spin more and just can't keep it going.

I'm sure there's more in granite basin that's doable, but you have to get up early when everything is pretty well frozen (including the ground). I cuold go out and do the fairly short ride I did yesterday, heck I'm pretty sure there are some more trails out there that could be ridden, but it's not going to work out real well. It's not like when we get a little snow and you can just keep riding with effect on the ride, we need a few steady days of sunshine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm escaping Norcal weather as well !

Pelletonnissen, I will be staying in Prescott next week and plan on riding sedona and possibly going down to south mountain in Phoenix for a day. I'm solo and was hoping to hook up with some people to ride with. I've been riding in Prescott for several years and know the area pretty well, after seeing Jayems pics it looks like Granite will be the best bet and its a great series of rollercoaster trails. I'm hoping the snow melts enough to try the new trail 396, it looks like you can link up some epic trails to make a World Class loop, but that may be wishful thinking.

I have riden quite a bit in Sedona and would like to check out some more of there trails as well. PM me and maybe we can hook up for some rides.

·
my dog's Frisbee launcher
513 Posts
we'll be in Phoenix for X-mass and the weekend, going to try and get out to SoMo on Friday.
Some friends from SoCal are heading over to Sedona next week I'm going to try an hook up with them for a ride or two...PM me if interested

Peace, Billy

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,806 Posts
SMac46 said:
Pelletonnissen, I will be staying in Prescott next week and plan on riding sedona and possibly going down to south mountain in Phoenix for a day. I'm solo and was hoping to hook up with some people to ride with. I've been riding in Prescott for several years and know the area pretty well, after seeing Jayems pics it looks like Granite will be the best bet and its a great series of rollercoaster trails. I'm hoping the snow melts enough to try the new trail 396, it looks like you can link up some epic trails to make a World Class loop, but that may be wishful thinking.

I have riden quite a bit in Sedona and would like to check out some more of there trails as well. PM me and maybe we can hook up for some rides.
Next week most everything should be ridable given the weather forecast.

76 Posts
Try Sedona first to give the snow in Ptown time to melt.
When in Sedona, Submarine Rock is a must. There is vast network of trails to the south of it as well. Don't forget about the trails in west Sedona too. Thunder Mountain/Girdner/Cockscomb and Deadman's pass Loops. Its also on the same side of town as the oak creek brewery.

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
All 120 plus trails in Sedona are in perfect condition right now. Just finished Airport/Bandit/Tabletop/Windsurfer/Bogus/Sketch/Old Ridge/Ridge/Carroll Canyon/Old Post.

We are hoping to do a Christmas ride tomorrow before the rain starts.

If you get a chance hook up with Jayem he can show you all the great stuff in Prescott.

What is your favorite trail in the Gay Area? Might give some clue as to what trail to recommend here. Sedona trails range from 1 to 10. A 10 being possible bloodbath and serious injury (i.e. Sick Rock or Skid Mark)

Doc

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
Jayem said:
Sedona is probably your better bet.

I know 396 won't go well past the first few hundred yards, most of the trail is on the north slope, and there will probably be serious snow. .
I was just on 396 hiking with the dog. That trail is pretty amazing in wet weather. It sheds moisture extremely well and the soil has just enough DG in it to not become goopy mud. It's slightly wet and mucky, but I wouldn't worry about the trail. It holds up very well when it's like this. Kudos to Rob Hehlen for his trail building skills. One thing is for sure...you'll look like you went riding. There's enough surface goop to get you nice and dirty. If you can go out early when all is frozen it's best.

We do our best to have current conditions listed: www.ravensingletrack.com

·
Registered
306 Posts
SMac46 said:

If you go to Granite, definately avoid the upper trails near the top of 347, etc. That mud up there is the stuff of local legend. You may never return. As Befoot has said before, go there in the mud and risk being unearthed by paleantologists in the distant future.

396 has spots right now that are wetter than others. No mud. Some snow. A touch ice in spots. If anything, it's just messy. There's not all too much for "epic" loops around 396, but there are tons of smaller loops you can do between Senator and White Spar. Check out the ride options on our web site. The 396/Feldmire loop might not be too bad right now. http://www.ravensingletrack.com/Groom_Ride.html

·
Registered
29 Posts
trail 396

Can you go up trail 396 and then cross senator and continue on up to smith ravine and then hit 305 and back the road. Last year we did loop but i'm not sure what trail we took up to senator from white spar.(this loop probably won't qualify as epic or world class with so much pavement)

·
Registered
180 Posts
I did part of the 396 from White Spar Campground to the pond. It was still frozen so not bad at all. After the pond the snow got deep and I could not make it up the hill. Headed back down and did some no name trails and 374 and all was well.

Hopefully the forecast will be off a bit and we will not get that much percip. Although it would be nice to have a white Christmas.

The Feldmire/396 loop is a good one just be sure to go down Feldmire and up 396.

Jeff

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,806 Posts
azbeersnob said:
I did part of the 396 from White Spar Campground to the pond. It was still frozen so not bad at all. After the pond the snow got deep and I could not make it up the hill. Headed back down and did some no name trails and 374 and all was well.

Hopefully the forecast will be off a bit and we will not get that much percip. Although it would be nice to have a white Christmas.

The Feldmire/396 loop is a good one just be sure to go down Feldmire and up 396.

Jeff
That's kind of what I thought, the end on senator should be under a lot of snow and ice.

·
Steel is Real
93 Posts
Current Prescott Area Trail Conditions...

Been raining cats & dogs here for the last 12 hours... I wouldn't venture out unless I had one of these...

Watercraft Recreation Outdoor recreation Fluid Boat

The Sippie Hole awaits... Good luck!

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
azbeersnob said:
It's raining again here in Prescott with snow forcasted for tonite. Not looking good for riding here this weekend.
Looks like Sedona might be a better option this weekend. Temps might get into the 60's. Even though it was raining today the trails we rode on were in great shape due to the amount of the trail surface being on rock or gravel.

Attachments

·
my dog's Frisbee launcher
513 Posts
I will be heading over to Sedona next week for some "world class riding" :D with some friends from SoCal...but today we are in Phoenix so looks like SoMo or T100 for me....who-ray!

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.