Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently created this link (https://sites.google.com/site/sedonamountainbikingtrails/home) , which currently provides eight different maps of the Sedona mountain bike trail system. Click on recent activities to see the maps recently added. Not all of the mountain biking trails are shown, but I have included about 95% of the trails I am aware of, and will add others when I get their GPS tracks.

I riders want to share their GPS files with me to add to my current file I will provide updated maps.

GPS tracks are available of over 50 loops and rides that I have created in Everytrail.com this is an example of a recent loop I created for a mountain biker coming to Sedona next week: http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1105760

TD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
636 Posts
That is a few hours on the computer, making maps. I like the old topo you used. Just shows a few buildings, no wilderness areas, jeep roads into canyons. And no jinxing McMansions all over the place.

But you forgot a trail...


Oh, never mind.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chalkpaw said:
That is a few hours on the computer, making maps. I like the old topo you used. Just shows a few buildings, no wilderness areas, jeep roads into canyons. And no jinxing McMansions all over the place.

But you forgot a trail...

Oh, never mind.
I know Sick Boy, Rock & Roll and Do or Die. I am curious if someone wanted to use my maps could they go to Kinkos or Staples with the files on a thumb drive and have the maps printed on 11 X 17 paper in color?
 

·
My other ride is your mom
Joined
·
5,442 Posts
TrailDoc....I tried taking your old gpx you gave me to put into Google Fusion Tables which would make for an easy way to display your entire field of tracks in sedona over an interactive terrain/imagery/map interface....but there was something funky going on with the gpx you had given me in exchange for a few new trails I had ridden/mapped for you a month or so back. If you still have my email, can you re-send me your updated gpx of the network? PM me if you need my email. I'll send you the results. A sample of what you can expect is here based on the AES Casner Dirty Century Ride done a few days ago.....it should be interactive here, allowing you to zoom in and change backgrounds:

 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
motochick said:
Have you seen the new double fence with a gate put up at the beginning of gunslinger? Hope this doesn't cause a problem and make that trail in-accessable.
Sounds like a problem to me. How are you going to fix it?

TD
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maadjurguer said:
TrailDoc....I tried taking your old gpx you gave me to put into Google Fusion Tables which would make for an easy way to display your entire field of tracks in sedona over an interactive terrain/imagery/map interface....but there was something funky going on with the gpx you had given me in exchange for a few new trails I had ridden/mapped for you a month or so back. If you still have my email, can you re-send me your updated gpx of the network? PM me if you need my email. I'll send you the results.
Mad:

I am not sure I want to give up the gpx file I might be able to use the file to make up some cool maps that I will make millions of dollars selling to rich mountain bikers. Show me where you are using the interactive terrain/imagery/map interface for the trails in your local area.

TD
 

·
My other ride is your mom
Joined
·
5,442 Posts
traildoc said:
Mad:

I am not sure I want to give up the gpx file I might be able to use the file to make up some cool maps that I will make millions of dollars selling to rich mountain bikers. Show me where you are using the interactive terrain/imagery/map interface for the trails in your local area.

TD
Dude...relax...I did this 8 beers in, if I thought I could make money...I'd have stolen it from you already...it's all public domain stuff. Google....err...."Google Fusion Tables" and you can learn all about it....or, you can give me your gpx and I'll dork with it and hand it back to you....free of charge.

I might, however, cash in a whopper or two chit's at a later date to include a tour......

I like your pdf maps....good to print out...but I also believe in multiple options for folks. BTW, have you heard of geospatial pdf files, otherwise known as GeoPDF? They are pdf files, yet they retain the geospatial information.....I helped get that lil' company some face time with some serious players back in the day....now, a significant portion of some certain big boys that we all pay every april now use GeoPDF and have converted their entire geospatial libraries to include GeoPDF....because in the end....every grunt or mountainbiker likes a piece of laminate paper in their hand with the path ahead...no batteries required.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maadjurguer said:
Dude...relax...I did this 8 beers in, if I thought I could make money...I'd have stolen it from you already...it's all public domain stuff. Google....err...."Google Fusion Tables" and you can learn all about it....or, you can give me your gpx and I'll dork with it and hand it back to you....free of charge.

I might, however, cash in a whopper or two chit's at a later date to include a tour......

I like your pdf maps....good to print out...but I also believe in multiple options for folks. BTW, have you heard of geospatial pdf files, otherwise known as GeoPDF? They are pdf files, yet they retain the geospatial information.....I helped get that lil' company some face time with some serious players back in the day....now, a significant portion of some certain big boys that we all pay every april now use GeoPDF and have converted their entire geospatial libraries to include GeoPDF....because in the end....every grunt or mountainbiker likes a piece of laminate paper in their hand with the path ahead...no batteries required.
M:

I think I heard of geospatial files watching a Star Treck episode. I wonder what Cosmic Ray thinks of my Sedona Maps? It will be nice that tourons get a clearer picture of our great trail system.

TD
 

·
My other ride is your mom
Joined
·
5,442 Posts
traildoc said:
M:

I think I heard of geospatial files watching a Star Treck episode. I wonder what Cosmic Ray thinks of my Sedona Maps? It will be nice that tourons get a clearer picture of our great trail system.

TD
TD....modern Tourons don't know how to find their arse from a hill on a topo map....that's relegated to us few Jeremiah Johnson's. The mortal rotting core of humanity needs accurate geospatial information served up in a variety of formats free of the need for conversion prior to digestion into their GPS units (which most STILL can't operate....so it's prolly a wash).

If you want to carry on this conversation in private, I'm cool with that.....just PM me....if you don't want to carry your message of Sedona excellence beyond a paper map....no biggie....no skin of my back...I already know how to skin a ****....I'm looking at the last one I did right now as a matter of fact....
 

Attachments

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Maadjurguer said:
TD....modern Tourons don't know how to find their arse from a hill on a topo map....that's relegated to us few Jeremiah Johnson's. The mortal rotting core of humanity needs accurate geospatial information served up in a variety of formats free of the need for conversion prior to digestion into their GPS units (which most STILL can't operate....so it's prolly a wash).

If you want to carry on this conversation in private, I'm cool with that.....just PM me....if you don't want to carry your message of Sedona excellence beyond a paper map....no biggie....no skin of my back...I already know how to skin a ****....I'm looking at the last one I did right now as a matter of fact....
M:

Thanks for wanting to help me out with communicating to the world of mountain bikers our great trail system. I will be in touch.

TD
 
1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top