Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been given the OK to let MTBR mountain bikers country wide know that Sedona is having its first Fat Tire Festival on April 23-24. As many riders know Sedona's has fun technical trails that cater to advanced intermediate or higher skilled riders.

The end of April is normally an ideal time to ride in Sedona, due to its perfect climate at that time. Many riders around the country who are normally stuck in a crummy springtime condition at that time of year, might seriously consider giving Sedona a try ,to prove it is in fact a mountain bikers paradise. If you haven't been to Sedona in the last two years, you are in for an unbelievable riding experience.

I, and other Sedona locals, will be showing the attendees a great riding experience. As the self-appointed Sedona mountain biking ambassador my mission is to give visiting mountain bikers the best riding experience for their hard earned vaction dollar.

I am attaching one of my never completed information pieces for some trails and rides that might put a smile on your face. I have numerous other Sedona rides in Everytrail.com that might give you a more comprehensive review of our vast trail system. Just search under traildoc to get a full list.

I hear Ibis and Turner are on board, so it might give you an opportunity to check out a 5" or 6" rig on one of the best trail systems in the country.

As a side note the Sea Otter is the week before the Sedona event and the Fruita Fat Tire Festival is a week after.

Hope to see you at the event,

TD
 

Attachments

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vancbiker said:
No doubt it will be an awesome event! Sedona and Flagstaff area is, in my experience, is some of the best riding ever. I usually try to get down there every couple of years in late fall. This has me looking at the vacation calendar at work.
Thanks for your interest. If you haven't been here for a couple years we have some new stuff you might really like.

TD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,998 Posts
traildoc said:
I have been given the OK to let MTBR mountain bikers country wide know that Sedona is having its first Fat Tire Festival on April 23-24. As many riders know Sedona's has fun technical trails that cater to advanced intermediate or higher skilled riders.

The end of April is normally an ideal time to ride in Sedona, due to its perfect climate at that time. Many riders around the country who are normally stuck in a crummy springtime condition at that time of year, might seriously consider giving Sedona a try ,to prove it is in fact a mountain bikers paradise. If you haven't been to Sedona in the last two years, you are in for an unbelievable riding experience.

I, and other Sedona locals, will be showing the attendees a great riding experience. As the self-appointed Sedona mountain biking ambassador my mission is to give visiting mountain bikers the best riding experience for their hard earned vaction dollar.

I am attaching one of my never completed information pieces for some trails and rides that might put a smile on your face. I have numerous other Sedona rides in Everytrail.com that might give you a more comprehensive review of our vast trail system. Just search under traildoc to get a full list.

I hear Ibis and Turner are on board, so it might give you an opportunity to check out a 5" or 6" rig on one of the best trail systems in the country.

As a side note the Sea Otter is the week before the Sedona event and the Fruita Fat Tire Festival is a week after.

Hope to see you at the event,

TD
That's awesome TD and thanks for sharing! Funny you posted this here, cause I just booked a mini-riding trip to Sedona for 4/12-4/15 (Tue-Fri) before having to be down in Scottsdale for a course that weekend (plan on riding SoMo and McDowell too!). I have never ridden Sedona and clueless for the most part since it sounds like you guys have so many different routes involving numerous trails linked up together in many different configurations. I am staying at the Wildflower Inn out of Oak Creek and plan to do the more "common" rides right from the hotel, like Big Park Loop/Bell Rock/Llama/Chicken Point/Broken Arrow and Templeton/Baldwin, but not sure how to get or route many of the other "must do" rides in the area. I ride almost everything on my 6" Banshee, but love trails the best with long, flowy continuous descents if you can recommend me any, Mund's Trail?

Thanks again and sorry I am missing the festival by a week, sounds like a blast!

JG
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jgusta said:
That's awesome TD and thanks for sharing! Funny you posted this here, cause I just booked a mini-riding trip to Sedona for 4/12-4/15 (Tue-Fri) before having to be down in Scottsdale for a course that weekend (plan on riding SoMo and McDowell too!). I have never ridden Sedona and clueless for the most part since it sounds like you guys have so many different routes involving numerous trails linked up together in many different configurations. I am staying at the Wildflower Inn out of Oak Creek and plan to do the more "common" rides right from the hotel, like Big Park Loop/Bell Rock/Llama/Chicken Point/Broken Arrow and Templeton/Baldwin, but not sure how to get or route many of the other "must do" rides in the area. I ride almost everything on my 6" Banshee, but love trails the best with long, flowy continuous descents if you can recommend me any, Mund's Trail?

Thanks again and sorry I am missing the festival by a week, sounds like a blast!

JG
JG:

You need to ride Highline. Just take the Made in the Shade trail to Slim Shady to Highline. It is about 2 miles from the Wildflower. Report back how it went and give me a headsup a couple days before you get here. There are a few descent rides, but most downhill riding in Sedona is 51% down and 49% up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,998 Posts
traildoc said:
JG:

You need to ride Highline. Just take the Made in the Shade trail to Slim Shady to Highline. It is about 2 miles from the Wildflower. Report back how it went and give me a headsup a couple days before you get here. There are a few descent rides, but most downhill riding in Sedona is 51% down and 49% up.
Will do. Is the HL trail on the west or east side of 179 (left or right of hwy)? And will B&B have a map of this route? Yes, I am totally cool with climbing, but like to have a nice descent following, whenever possible, and the longer the descent the better. Up/down/up/down/etc the whole trail is not my ideal, but is usually the case with most slickrock trails at least, which can be pretty scenic and fun to play around on as well.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
traildoc said:
I have been given the OK to let MTBR mountain bikers country wide know that Sedona is having its first Fat Tire Festival on April 23-24. As many riders know Sedona's has fun technical trails that cater to advanced intermediate or higher skilled riders.

The end of April is normally an ideal time to ride in Sedona, due to its perfect climate at that time. Many riders around the country who are normally stuck in a crummy springtime condition at that time of year, might seriously consider giving Sedona a try ,to prove it is in fact a mountain bikers paradise. If you haven't been to Sedona in the last two years, you are in for an unbelievable riding experience.

I, and other Sedona locals, will be showing the attendees a great riding experience. As the self-appointed Sedona mountain biking ambassador my mission is to give visiting mountain bikers the best riding experience for their hard earned vaction dollar.

I am attaching one of my never completed information pieces for some trails and rides that might put a smile on your face. I have numerous other Sedona rides in Everytrail.com that might give you a more comprehensive review of our vast trail system. Just search under traildoc to get a full list.

I hear Ibis and Turner are on board, so it might give you an opportunity to check out a 5" or 6" rig on one of the best trail systems in the country.

As a side note the Sea Otter is the week before the Sedona event and the Fruita Fat Tire Festival is a week after.

Hope to see you at the event,

TD
TD, do you have an event web site yet?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
jgusta said:
Will do. Is the HL trail on the west or east side of 179 (left or right of hwy)? And will B&B have a map of this route? Yes, I am totally cool with climbing, but like to have a nice descent following, whenever possible, and the longer the descent the better. Up/down/up/down/etc the whole trail is not my ideal, but is usually the case with most slickrock trails at least, which can be pretty scenic and fun to play around on as well.
Highline is on the west side of Hwy 179 off of the Slim Shady trail. The entrance of Highline is about 1/8 mile north of the north side of the Bell Rock rock formation. The entrance is slashed with debri, so lesser skilled riders won't wander onto it.

This is a video of the frontside:

backside:

The attached map is of a big ride the Highline Trail is on the most western lower side of the map.

Let us know how it goes.

TD
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,998 Posts
traildoc said:
Highline is on the west side of Hwy 179 off of the Slim Shady trail. The entrance of Highline is about 1/8 mile north of the north side of the Bell Rock rock formation. The entrance is slashed with debri, so lesser skilled riders won't wander onto it.

This is a video of the frontside:

backside:

The attached map is of a big ride the Highline Trail is on the most western lower side of the map.

Let us know how it goes.

TD
Awesome TD! Mucho appreciated and just the kind of info and trail I was looking for since I really don't want to have to do a bunch of driving to the various TH's and route find a bunch while in Sedona. So, you ride this as a fig-8 loop, west to east then north to south?

If you are ever heading up this way let me know and I would be happy to hook ya up with some of the best rides in Oregon/WA (Central OR to SW WA).
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jgusta said:
Awesome TD! Mucho appreciated and just the kind of info and trail I was looking for since I really don't want to have to do a bunch of driving to the various TH's and route find a bunch while in Sedona. So, you ride this as a fig-8 loop, west to east then north to south?

If you are ever heading up this way let me know and I would be happy to hook ya up with some of the best rides in Oregon/WA (Central OR to SW WA).
jg:

I don't really ride the figure H that often since I am old and don't want to make younger riders feel bad if I out ride them:rolleyes: . I live in West Sedona so I do a different ride which starts close to my house and ends where I have a shuttle vehicle parked.

http://www.everytrail.com/fullscreen.php?trip_id=691557&code=f3d02f329635c1f121861e924040b388
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,998 Posts
traildoc said:
jg:

I don't really ride the figure H that often since I am old and don't want to make younger riders feel bad if I out ride them:rolleyes: . I live in West Sedona so I do a different ride which starts close to my house and ends where I have a shuttle vehicle parked.

http://www.everytrail.com/fullscreen.php?trip_id=691557&code=f3d02f329635c1f121861e924040b388
Very nice, thanks:)

So, is this route the advanced shuttle route #1 (A1) or #2 (A1+) heading out of the High School to Under the Radar TH on your Sedona route list? Also, is the far loop on the above map (to the right from where you start) the Highline loop (just west of 179) that I would access out of Bell Rock area? If so, looks like I would pretty much do the big descent (backside of HL) after an initial climb up from 179 to top of HL point, then long climb on the frontside of HL and back down to Bell Rock/179 area, is this right?

Thanks again, just trying to get motivated to riding in sub-freezing temps and snow right now while dreaming of some desert/rock riding in my head.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,998 Posts
traildoc said:
Highline is on the west side of Hwy 179 off of the Slim Shady trail. The entrance of Highline is about 1/8 mile north of the north side of the Bell Rock rock formation. The entrance is slashed with debri, so lesser skilled riders won't wander onto it.

This is a video of the frontside:

backside:

The attached map is of a big ride the Highline Trail is on the most western lower side of the map.

Let us know how it goes.

TD
Last question, sorry. So, the loop up above goes something like this?
- Slim Shady off of Bell Rock up to HL point, backside of HL (main descent) then up frontside (main climb), cross 179 to Llama trail loop to Bell Rock Pathway back (south) to Bell Rock TH/Slim Shady? Just trying for more perspective here, since I don't have a good map of the area and like to have my rides "dialed" in as best as I can before starting.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jgusta said:
Last question, sorry. So, the loop up above goes something like this?
- Slim Shady off of Bell Rock up to HL point, backside of HL (main descent) then up frontside (main climb), cross 179 to Llama trail loop to Bell Rock Pathway back (south) to Bell Rock TH/Slim Shady? Just trying for more perspective here, since I don't have a good map of the area and like to have my rides "dialed" in as best as I can before starting.
Made in the Shade to Slim Shady to HL to Baldwin to Templeton to H.T to Bell Rock Patthway to Little Horse to Lama to Bell Rock Pathway to Phone to Courthouse View Parking Lot to Hwy. 179 to Slim Shady to Made in the Shade. The only signed trail intersections will be Baldwin/Templeton, Templeton/H.T, , Bell Rock Pathway/Little Horse, Little Horse Lama, Lama Bell Rock Pathway, Bell Rock Pathway/Phone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,998 Posts
traildoc said:
Made in the Shade to Slim Shady to HL to Baldwin to Templeton to H.T to Bell Rock Patthway to Little Horse to Lama to Bell Rock Pathway to Phone to Courthouse View Parking Lot to Hwy. 179 to Slim Shady to Made in the Shade. The only signed trail intersections will be Baldwin/Templeton, Templeton/H.T, , Bell Rock Pathway/Little Horse, Little Horse Lama, Lama Bell Rock Pathway, Bell Rock Pathway/Phone.
Thanks TD! Makes sense now and pretty sure I can route that, but will be picking up a map in town for sure as well.

Happy trails :). BTW, did a ride in some snow and ice today and trails weren't have bad at all with dry, fast hardpack dirt in between. Still can't wait to be down south for a bit though.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top