Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Sedona Fat Tire Festival- April 23-24 (Easter Weekend)

13K views 142 replies 31 participants last post by  traildoc 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been given the OK to let MTBR mountain bikers country wide know that Sedona is having its first Fat Tire Festival on April 23-24. As many riders know Sedona's has fun technical trails that cater to advanced intermediate or higher skilled riders.

The end of April is normally an ideal time to ride in Sedona, due to its perfect climate at that time. Many riders around the country who are normally stuck in a crummy springtime condition at that time of year, might seriously consider giving Sedona a try ,to prove it is in fact a mountain bikers paradise. If you haven't been to Sedona in the last two years, you are in for an unbelievable riding experience.

I, and other Sedona locals, will be showing the attendees a great riding experience. As the self-appointed Sedona mountain biking ambassador my mission is to give visiting mountain bikers the best riding experience for their hard earned vaction dollar.

I am attaching one of my never completed information pieces for some trails and rides that might put a smile on your face. I have numerous other Sedona rides in Everytrail.com that might give you a more comprehensive review of our vast trail system. Just search under traildoc to get a full list.

I hear Ibis and Turner are on board, so it might give you an opportunity to check out a 5" or 6" rig on one of the best trail systems in the country.

As a side note the Sea Otter is the week before the Sedona event and the Fruita Fat Tire Festival is a week after.

Hope to see you at the event,

TD

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
rockman said:
Bike polo? Klunker races without chains down Schnebly Hill Rd?
Rock:

Great ideas. In Whistler a lot of the financially challenged bike park riders destroy their drive trains so they just coast down the trails. They don't want to give up any speed, so they pass an old guy like me like a maniac in what I consider to be an UNSAFE MANNER.

It would be interesting to have the klunker race chainless.

TD

Attachments

#9 ·
Things are coming along nicely for the festival. I am hopeful that Oak Creek Brewery will come up with a special Single Track Ale for the weekend. The Verde Valley Cyclists Coalition is the group putting on the event. For those flying in from cold far away places, be sure to check the accommodations page. You can do this without renting a car! http://web.mac.com/stonecropaz/Site/Welcome.html

#13 · (Edited)
azepicriderandrunner said:
Here is the +300 cfs Oak Creek version since you don't want to cross Oak Creek at said flow
aerr:

I went on a ride today (http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=995768) with some Canadians who have been stuck in Sedona for the last three days and were here to ride some of my favorite trails. One of the trails on the list was Damifino, so I had to figure how to work that into a ride plan.

If you are going to ride to Midgley Bridge the only options are to swim the creek, ride upstream to the trout farm and cross the bridge or forget crossing the creek and hike-a-bike back up to the saddle and ride Hangover. So today we opted for option #3 and did the hike-a-bike.

I must say these riders from Kanadia are almost super human. Many of the uphill sections have up to now never been ridden in the uphill direction until today. At least I have never seen it been done. Maybe Chalkpaw can clean those steep sections.

The ride was: Cow Pies to Damifino to Damifido to Lavitra to Lavitra Bypass to Brew Pub to Damifino to Hangover to Munds Wagon Trail.

At the end of the ride my buddy Darch and I went up to the creek crossing to check out the flow. The bridge was gone except for one log, and it was flowing too fast for me to cross with a bike. While we were checking out the crossing we found some logs to help with the crossing when the flow drops under 100 cfs (http://waterdata.usgs.gov/az/nwis/uv/?site_no=09504420&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060).

TD

#14 ·
I wanted to let people know that this event is still taking place. Ibis, Turner, Specialized, and maybe Titus coming in to demo bikes. Good beer to drink at Oak Creek Brewery on Saturday night. Maybe too on site will be a pump track to try out and I am hopeful that the City of Sedona is going to adopt the idea for their local park.
Are you interested in all the Traildoc talk about trails this and trails that? Come on out and explore. Ride stairs, ride ramps. Ride in the catclaw. Ride out of the catclaw. Hey, besides I'm paying for the insurance, the port o-johns, the property rental, I expect to see some smiling faces. For those doing the Whisky 50 the following weekend, this would be a good pre-ride for a bit of saddle time. And this one is free! It would be good to meet y'all in person.

#15 · (Edited)
ra:

I am looking forward to the festival and would like to help make it a great mountain biker user experience. If showing a group of non-locals some of our best loops fits into the program you are planning, I would be more than happy to show them around.

I would appreciate it if riders would give me an idea what trails they have heard about that they would like me to try and throw into the mix. Otherwise, I will just do several of our most favorite rides. Certainly one of them will include the advanced Highline trail before it gets widened or destroyed.

I think riding a cool DEMO bike on that ride might be one of the highlights of participating in the event. I can remember riding Porcupine Rim during Moab Fat Tire Festival (back in 1998?) on a DEMO K2 with a smart shock. I thought I was the fastest guy there ripping through the CHUNK faster than I had ever done it before on my Novaro hardtail.

TD

#17 ·
MattyBoyR6 said:
We were putting a crew together for Mingus on the 23rd for shuttles but it has been years since I'be been to Sedona. What kind of shuttle runs are there?
No real shuttle runs in Sedona that I would recommend to a true big bike downhiller, it would be best to stay in Cottonwood. The best downhill we can offer you in Sedona is 51% down and 49% up. Sedona is best suited for riders who aren't respitorially challenged and enjoy some techie uphill with some techie downhill. There are some fast flowy sections, but they usually require some uphill to access them.

TD

#19 ·
azphxrider said:
is there a Fat Tire Festival Website up?
Yes it is, but you seem to be the type of person who might not enjoy yourself going to it. I am only speaking for myself not the organizer, but if I were you I would head somewhere else that weekend. I would say the MASSES will definitely have a great time, you no way.

TD

#20 ·
traildoc said:
Rock:

Great ideas. In Whistler a lot of the financially challenged bike park riders destroy their drive trains so they just coast down the trails. They don't want to give up any speed, so they pass an old guy like me like a maniac in what I consider to be an UNSAFE MANNER.

It would be interesting to have the klunker race chainless.

TD
Say TD, are you one of those young Klunker pups in that photo?

#22 ·
traildoc said:
No real shuttle runs in Sedona that I would recommend to a true big bike downhiller, it would be best to stay in Cottonwood. The best downhill we can offer you in Sedona is 51% down and 49% up. Sedona is best suited for riders who aren't respitorially challenged and enjoy some techie uphill with some techie downhill. There are some fast flowy sections, but they usually require some uphill to access them.

TD
What??
I had a blast on the trail that goes through shnebly hill rd.... It was 100% downhill

#23 ·
kubo said:
What??
I had a blast on the trail that goes through shnebly hill rd.... It was 100% downhill
MBR6:

Looks like we do have a cool downhill (per kubo) in Sedona, let us know what you think if you try it out. 100% downhill is kind like listening to one of our politicians telling us Social Security and Medicare are in good financial shape.

TD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.