Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i'm going to be going there for the first time and was wondering if there is any BLM land near the trails?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sedona is actually part of the Coconino National Forest, and all of the land surrounding it is national forest land. If you are looking to camp near trails there are a few fee campgrounds close to trail but I am not sure if they will be open or have space. There are some nice campgrounds in Oak Creek Canyon although those are not close to any trails(at least that bikes are allowed on). The closest BLM land is going to be closer to Prescott.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool. It doesn't have to be close but it would be nice haha. How far is Prescott? I'll check out Oak Creek Canyon.
Thanks.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Prescott is over an hour away. Not worth it. Plus there isn't much BLM near the Prescott Valley or the city of Prescott.

If you head south on 89A out of Sedona, towards Cottonwood, you'll come into open National Forest lands there. This time of year you'll see lots of snowbird campers/trailers out there.

34.8143637701248, -111.9051070295059 Hwy 89A and Forest Road 525 location, you can pull that up on Google Maps

Here's the link to the Coconino Forest Page https://www.fs.usda.gov/coconino/

There is a 14 day stay limit in the National Forest too https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd795409.pdf

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Yup, go there.... you can be serenaded to sleep by dozens of RV generators running all night. Sooooo peaceful and romantic!

·
Registered
519 Posts
There are some nice campgrounds in Oak Creek Canyon although those are not close to any trails(at least that bikes are allowed on). The closest BLM land is going to be closer to Prescott.
Manzanita Campground (tents only) is the only CG currently open in Oak Creek Canyon. Cave Springs CG and Pine Flat CG are closed for the season.

Manzanita is often FULL so you might want to see if there are online reservations available.

-db-

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rad. this is what i'm looking for. I'll definitely check this area out, hopefully it won't be too busy the week of Christmas...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rad. this is what i'm looking for. i'll definitely check this area out. hopefully it won't be too busy the week of christmas...

Prescott is over an hour away. Not worth it. Plus there isn't much BLM near the Prescott Valley or the city of Prescott.

If you head south on 89A out of Sedona, towards Cottonwood, you'll come into open National Forest lands there. This time of year you'll see lots of snowbird campers/trailers out there.

34.8143637701248, -111.9051070295059 Hwy 89A and Forest Road 525 location, you can pull that up on Google Maps

Here's the link to the Coconino Forest Page https://www.fs.usda.gov/coconino/

There is a 14 day stay limit in the National Forest too https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd795409.pdf

·
Registered
7,675 Posts
I plan on sleeping in my car so I might just go stealth.
It might be tempting to overnight at the Cultural Center/Western Gateway trail system parking area and lots of #vanlifers get away with it but there's also a good chance you might get rousted by the LEO at 2am.

Lots of dispersed camping options if you push out of town limits a bit.

·
Registered
Pivot Switchblade 29er
550 Posts
It might be tempting to overnight at the Cultural Center/Western Gateway trail system parking area and lots of #vanlifers get away with it but there's also a good chance you might get rousted by the LEO at 2am.
Looked like a rainbow gathering yesterday afternoon around 4:00 PM as my wife and I were rolling through there on our way home at the end of our ride! Guessing nobody's getting rousted, but yeah, gotta accept that it's a gamble.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts