Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came up with this in an email, figured I would post it here.

MOUNTAIN BIKE INDUSTRY TO STOP CRITICAL UPDATES FOR LEGACY 26" PRODUCT

As of Tuesday, April 8th, the mountain bike industry will discontinue updates for it's venerable, but aging, 26er platform. The 26er mountain bike, released in the early 80s, was a popular platform for many years. Users are encouraged to update to a current wheel size standard for 2014. The newest platform, the 27.5", was released over a year ago, however adoption rates have been slower than expected, and many users are expected to upgrade to the previous iteration, the 29er, which turned out to be wildly successful for the mountain bike industry.

While critical updates will stop, this does not mean that 26" bikes will stop working as of April 8th. The industry estimates there are still vast numbers of 26" bikes in service, even more than their most recent 27.5" platform. According to industry experts, this is because many 26" bikes produced over the past 10 years were built well and continue to work fine. Chances are, if a bike is more than five years old, it will be running the 26" platform. "My 26" bike works well with what I'm doing with it such as hucking off of risers, wheelies, and the like" says Mike S. "A 29er or 27.5 simply is not as compatible with those things as my 26" platform, so I can't really change".

"These people are taking a risk" says Moe Nee Bags, an industry consultant. "26ers will no longer receive critical updates such as more convoluted integrated headsets, more expensive bottom bracket standards, or even bigger axles." The consequences? "These critical updates make things betterer or stifferer. A rider could be riding a log skinny, and all of a sudden the wheel axle might not be stiff enough, and the bike could throw him off the log."

Many users remain skeptical however, viewing the ever increasing change in platforms and standards a way for the industry to simply generate revenue, and the end of support for 26" a way to try to force newer platforms onto users. Some have had enough. "My next bike isn't going to be a 27.5 or even a 29er" says Rad Beard. "I'm switching to fatbike".

·
Registered
399 Posts
Oh man, I just bought a new 26'er! Does anyone know if my local trails will support it, or are they only ridable via the new platforms?

·
Perpetual n00b
1,785 Posts
Oh man, I just bought a new 26'er! Does anyone know if my local trails will support it, or are they only ridable via the new platforms?
Your local trails are only compatible with clipless pedaling systems.

·
Professional Crastinator
6,120 Posts
Nice!

The next step to render the 26er completely useless is to send out a bunch of infected tires to disable all the remaining ones. Don't say you weren't warned.

-F

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
I cannot understand why everyone on these forums gets so hung up on wheel size. If you like 26ers, then just buy 26" parts and bikes. If enough people are doing this, then the industry will continue making them. The bike industry cannot force you to purchase a 650b or a 29er. I've been riding 650b since 2009 when there was very little support for the size from the "industry." I do not let them dictate to me what I ride.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I cannot understand why everyone on these forums gets so hung up on wheel size.
I think the OP's post was more of a commentary on Microsoft and their practices, than 26'er vs 29'er.

I work in IT and I was on the phone with Microsoft support a few minutes ago, and the on-hold recording was talking about all the products that are no longer supported, with the suggestion to "upgrade to the latest product, so that you still have support". And I believe it's that concept that the OP is referring to; can you imagine if bike shops no longer worked on bikes that had 26" wheels, because the manufacturers want everyone to "upgrade" to the latest products?

·
DeForest Stump
972 Posts
The 26'er is dead. Long live the 26'er.

·
100.oz minimum
66 Posts
I just realized that I've been riding a 26er for the last 20 years.................how the hell have i done it!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts