Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done a lot of searching and read through a bunch of threads on this topic and I think I will eventually be pairing the system that one owner has (with a normal roofrack system on top of the bed of their truck using the false rain gutters from thule) with a tonneau cover that works with it.

But for now I am looking for an inexpensive method for transporting my rockhopper that I should be getting in a week or so.

I definitely wont be riding this to work, and I cant imagine riding it around town to run errands so the only place it will be exposed to thievery is when its in the back of my truck, whether I leave it there overnight in front of my condo, or in the parking lot at work etc...

Its *only* a rockhopper so compared to a lot of the bikes here its not that valuable, but its a lot of money for me to spend on a bike, and it will be the most expensive (only) bike on the rack (my truck) so there is some risk of being jacked that I hope to mitigate.

I dont consider my condo complex to be high risk, or most of the places in my medium sized town that I might be parked at while running errands, and definitely dont consider my parking lot at work to pose any risk.....but for the reasons I mentioned I would still like to put some effort into protecting my investment.

I am posting this in the newbie forum because I very much am one. The hubs on the bike are listed on the spec site as:
REAR HUB Shimano 475, 32h w/ Shimano QR
FRONT HUB Specialized disc, 32h double sealed w/alloy QR
I assume that QR indicated quick release and so I dont know what this does to the list of precautions I should be taking.

For example...the insta-gater from thule is one of the items I was looking at. That looks like it just locks around the front wheel, which im guessing could be problematic if its a quick release wheel that could remain locked in the device (does it even actually lock the wheel in??) while the bike walks away. Does this mean I should add a nice lock to this setup like a Kryptonite U Lock or NYC Chain? Or should I go with a setup that has me remove the wheel and store it presumably in the cab of the truck like the beddyjo from yakima? What about the back wheel if thats quick release also?

I have seen the 20 dollar fork mounts that can be attached to any surface but I dont want to drill into my bed and I have a bedliner anyways (would be pretty silly I imagine ot affix it to the bedliner somehow).

whaddya think?

· Registered
526 Posts
I am a newbie...I have a 2003 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab...you can actually see pictures of my truck, bike, and Thule Truck rack on the "First Solo Ride" thread...I think the Thule Bed dealio I have works great...it can fit pretty much any truck...it is expandable...comes with two quick release holders to transport two bikes...but with a wider truck bed you could probably put 3-4 on there...it has a lock mech. on it that would make it very hard to remove without bending it (thus making it worthless)...a bike could easily be stolen on it due to just being in the quick release holders, but I find if you have a nice lock with cable, and wrap it around the strap hooks attached to your bed, you are pretty secure...but if I lived in an apartment I would take my bike inside each night...but leave the rack secured to your truck...

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, I poked through your thread yesterday actually for a number of reasons.

I *think* that that setup is just a little more expensive than the beddyjo or insta-gator options and I dont know (maybe you could tell me) if that locks to the truck. I assume that pole telescopes in and out, and so I would guess that you can easily telescope it in and slide the bike off the end, with or without lock, if you wanted to jack it. Is that true?

I see that you dont have a locking tailgate but my truck actually does so I believe the beddyjo or insta-gator would be effectively locked to my truck.....how the bike locks or doesnt lock to these devices I have no idea..

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you actually bring up another point though, is there no mechanism on your rack for locking the fork to the fork mount? Is taking it off one of the fork mount racks as easy as popping the QR wheel off?

· Registered
526 Posts
The Thule rack I use has a lock on it for the rack, not for the bike. Thus the rack can't be telescoped in and easily stolen, they would have to bend the entire thing and that would make the rack worthless. I own a home, so really I don't need a locking mount for the bike as the only time I am transporting it is to and from the trails. IF I need to lock the bike while in the store, etc...I have a Kryptonic (I think that is the brand) lock and cable system where I can wrap the cable around the bike and then lock the actual lock to the metal hooks on my truck...thus, a thief would have to cut the cables or lock to get the bike off...and if they want to do that then I guess I can't stop them...but it wouldn't be an easy steal as if I just left the bike on the QR mount system.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have actually been looking at that. I am trying to figure out where I could lock the bike to. That is nice since its simple, inexpensive, and keeps it stable (I find myself wondering how stable the tail-gater could be) but while the clips lock in to the bed rail, the bike is only held to the clips it looks by a couple thing rubber straps...

Right now I have the through the bed liner cleats in the corners...I am thinking that if I can replace one or both of those with an eye of some sort I could run a NYC chain through it and not worry so much.

· Registered
46 Posts
Insta-Gator

Just thought I'd add my two cents for what its worth. I have an Insta-Gator from then Sportworks (must have been bought out by Thule?). I've had it for at least two years on the back of my Toyota Tacoma. I've traveled everywhere with the Insta-Gator and even off-roaded with it loaded in the back of my truck. The rack is solid! It is so nice to get to my truck from some Epic adventure and in two seconds load the bike on the truck while my friends are still trying to dork around with theirs. My only complain, as stated previously is that there is no way to secure the rack to the truck or the bike to the rack. I came up with a ghetto solution which I am not sure would fit you. I took a steel cable and looped it through the rack, through the tailgate and around one of the suspension springs on the truck and secured it with a strong lock. I also keep a kryptonite long length cable looped through the rack with an outdoor heavy gauge lock and just loop my bike with it when loaded. Actually, my cable length is so long that sometimes all my friends throw their bikes on my truck and we loop the cable around all the bikes. I am not sure it would be enough for overnighters, but its enough for restaurant/rest-stops when I ride. Good luck.

· Registered
52 Posts
The REC-RACK comes with "D" rings that you run a cable lock through to lock the bike to.
Once you run the cabel lock it locks the unit and the bike its not going anywhere. I try to take some pic today so you can see what I'm talking about.

When my friend Steve looked at them and saw how fast I could load my my bike and lock it he was sold on it and ordered them the same day.

Good luck in your search,
Larry

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks, I think im going to be ordering them today also. I did notice those rings in some of the pics on their website...looks good! hopefully my 23" frame fits into my f150 without needing the 8" extenders.

I was thinking of buying these from sears since they are a bit cheaper on sears.com and i might be able to do in store pickup to save on shipping....not sure though because someone who posted a review of these on here said the sears ones came with old design of straps that broke easily..

· 2006 Yeti AS-X
3,128 Posts
I have a 2003 Ranger and I have a hitch mounted bike carrier. I use a strong lock cable that I route to a mount in my bed that I lock my bike to. Also, if you don't have a ball hitch on your truck, you can route a lock cable through it to secure your bike.

It is like anything, if a thief wants your bike bad enough, no matter of securing it will be 100% foolproof. A good set of lock cutters, torch, or other instrument and the bike is as good as his.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.