Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced my fork with a boost version and I need to make my 15x100 hub fit in it. I have a generic boost conversion kit on the way- rotor spacer and two 5mm spacers.

I have to take my front wheel off frequently because I take my bike to the office some days and ride trails near the office before going home. My bike would last about 30 minutes on a rack of I did that (theives) so I just remove the front wheel and put the bike in the trunk. I just sold my Thule T2 because I had not used it in years.

How should I go about not losing the axle spacers and making the install less annoying? I would like to glue (?) the spacers to the hub lock nuts or to the fork dropouts. When I get around to building a new wheel with a boost hub some day, anything I might use to fix the spacers in place should be easy enough to pop off, but firm enough to make them stay put during installation.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,800 Posts
Silicone or epoxy. It’s so simple though that I don’t even do it. If you are taking your wheel off all the time maybe, but with modern racks that’s a rarity.

·
Registered
12,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I take my bike anywhere, I have to remove the front wheel and shove it in my trunk, so the front wheel has to come off frequently. I just sold my Thule T2 because the trunk is easier and more secure. Bikes get stolen off racks every day where I live. At the same time, I don't want to get to the trail head and discover that my spacer is lost, nor do I want to faff about with it for the install.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I would rather just keep a spare adapter set on hand than try to glue anything. It's going to be hard to find a glue that will neatly and securely work in this application, and if it does seem to be working at some point you will trust it too much and then notice that one of the adapters fell off somewhere. There is a lot of stress on the bond when the wheel is clamped in during rides, and then it will get banged around a bit while fitting and removing the wheel. I think it is more trouble than it is worth.

·
Registered
12,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok. Then it is probably not going to work. Or just swap the hub? You might be able to find hub that allows to keep the spokes.
Maybe. I do my own wheel builds, but for the cost and trouble of doing that, I'd rather get a new wheel with a wider rim (currently a i25 KOM) and keep the old one as a spare or sell it.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
If it were me... I'd just replace the hub. It'd be worth it to me to not have to worry about small loose parts if I had to yank the wheel off frequently.

·
Registered
12,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been there, done that. Not worth the cost and hassle. Might be worth it if I can really reuse spokes and the hub is dirt cheap, like $10. If I am going to go to all that trouble, I am going to get a new rim as well because I'd like something wider, plus this rim has gone through hell.

I have an alternative use for this wheel when I buy/ build the new one- it fits in my rigid fork, and a boost hub would not. I'd hate having a useless spare hub lying around.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.