Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/SEC-29-Details.html

IBEX steps into the 29er trend with this new IBEX Section 29. The easy rolling of 29" wheels makes this an ideal bike for XC and trail work alike.

Suspension is by way of Rock Shox marvelous Reba SL fork sized for the 29er with air, lockout and external rebound adjustment. The Reba has quickly established itself to be one of the great lightweight XC fork that's still capable of handling All-Mountain stile riding and the Section 29's character matches it beautifully.

The Section 29 frame is designed to be give an exceptional ride while remaining stiff enough to handle more technical sections without breaking a sweat.

The SRAM X7 drivetrain makes light work of shifting needs and the Section 29's Avid BB-7 are widely held as the best mechanical discs made. Other appointments are right on target, too. WTB's LaserDisc rims and 2.30 ExiWolf tires, sized in 29" of course, are mounted on smooth rolling 4/2 bearing Novatec hubs. The TruVativ XR cockpit set, WTB Laser V Team saddle and Shimano SPD pedals are rider friendly appointments while the Section 29's TruVativ Firex cranks, KMC chain and SRAM cassette make smooth pedaling a breeze
If you've been considering joining the 29er movement, the IBEX Section 29 may be just the bike you've been looking for. Fine appointments all around and a price that's hard to beat make this one really fine pick!

Want to step into the 29'er world but don't think you can afford it? Think again.

The IBEX is only $999 (plus shipping)
The IBEX is a great value and equipped nicer then all other brands on the market
The Peral Yellow paint on the IBEX looks fantastic in the sun. Even comes with touch up paint
The IBEX has plenty of tire clearance
Hurry and order your IBEX before they are sold out!

Disclaimer. I am not associated with IBEX Bicycle company or its affiliates.
Disclaimer 2. It is not even my bike! I was just putting it together for a friend and wanted to have some fun!. Too much whining about spam these days in the 29'er forum

Attachments

·
anyone else smell that?
2,314 Posts
joking aside, i seriously considered that bike. and kinda kick myself for not going with it. i just had to have steel. seems to be a great value. 'trail' series rims....bb7s...and reba for $1k. tough to beat.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Steel

jgsatl said:
joking aside, i seriously considered that bike. and kinda kick myself for not going with it. i just had to have steel. seems to be a great value. 'trail' series rims....bb7s...and reba for $1k. tough to beat.
I am a steel guy myself (SIR9) My buddy is kind of a n00b and this bike is perfect for him (first new m-bike in 8 years).

The remote pop lock is also a nice touch. Yellow is not my fav but that paint pops in the sun. IMO this is the best value for under $1K in the market (right now).

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fit

rensho said:
Does that bike/frame size fit your friend? Or did you want an IBEX so bad that fit didn't matter much? ;)
The stem (110mm) on the IBEX is too long for him. He seems stretched out and may need a 90mm.

He is going to ride it a few times to get a feel for it before we change anything.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I have a friend who is "intrigued" with the 29er idea and may consider one..the is definatley an option I'll have to tell him although he might be more inclined to get a fully at this point.....
Thanks for the write up DZ..let us know how he likes it

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
toddre said:
Ohhhhh...IBEX......got it now....how's the supercal treating you?
I love the Supercal even though I have finally experienced a bit of the rear end flex that has been reported elsewhere. Probably would not have noticed if I was not already off balance on the 18" drop.

Found out later in the same ride that you can endo them too. Even with a 90mm stem.:eek: Am on antibiotics for a week to get the infection out of my leg:rolleyes:

Have changed a couple of things. Put on a med cage X.0 rear der and a Sram Force front der. Improved shifting on both ends a lot.

How about yours?:cool:

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Seriously

rensho said:
DZ,

Seems like it might work well then. One sweet deal you found.
it is not mine.

Yes this bike is on the heavy side. I think the tires and wheels have alot to do with it. But for him it is great! He wanted a 29'er and didn't want to spend a bunch of $$$. He will use it mainly for 5 to 10 mile rides and nothing hard core.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
1-bar said:
30lbs is pretty heavy for a ht. otherwise good value.
Rims, hubs, tires, tubes and crankset like those that come stock with the Section will tend to do that to a bike. ;)

BB

P.S. You ought to see the weight of my daughter's $250 Raleigh 24" mountain bike! This beast is nearly 30 pounds for a little kid:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
BruceBrown said:
Rims, hubs, tires, tubes and crankset like those that come stock with the Section will tend to do that to a bike. ;)

BB

P.S. You ought to see the weight of my daughter's $250 Raleigh 24" mountain bike! This beast is nearly 30 pounds for a little kid:
Lol- I agree, but add the word "heavy" before each component you listed!

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Miss Brown

BruceBrown said:

BB

26lbs

This IBEX would have been good for Miss Brown $329 and 26lbs

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ALP-440K-Details.html

The IBEX Alpine 440K is a REAL mountain bike with 24" wheels designed especially for kids in the 8 to 12-year old range. The 440K has a remarkable 6061 alloy frame that we've designed with a low seat-tube height (and consequently, a low standover height), and a longer wheelbase.

Younger riders will find this bike extremely stable, yet it will feel even more responsive as they grow. Components are also sized just right for 440K's intended riders including a 160mm TruVativ IsoFlow alloy crankset and A Spinner Grind suspension fork. We've selected a high-quality Shimano Alivio 24-speed drivetrain (with upgrade to Deore on the rear derailleur) that includes Rapidfire shifters.

If your boy or girl is ready for real mountain biking then they're ready for a real mountain bike. The IBEX Alpine 440K is the bike!

My 6 year old has the 320 and I got it down to about 21.5lbs

Attachments

·
anyone else smell that?
2,314 Posts
i actually thought of getting one, then stripping the parts and putting them on a steel frame (bandersnatch or zion, etc.) and rebaying the aluminium frame. still come out pretty darn good.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.