Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a stupid question so go easy on me as I've just put out to pasture an 11 year bike and bought a new XC mtb. I'm new to disk brakes.

My Giant has WTB Laserdisk wheels with 6 bolt XT rotors and brakes. I have a second wheel set from my previous bike that I'd like to use for commuting with some go-fast pavement/hardpack tires (because I'm sick of swaping out tires). The spare wheel set is a Shimano LX (wh-m565) which can be run with rim or center lock disk brakes.

Am I going to have any issues with rotor/pad alignment swaping out these wheelsets? I don't want to have to fine tune everything with each wheel swap. I'm hoping that this will go as simple as possible.

My plan is to purchase XT center lock rotors for the LX wheels. From what I've been able to find seaching the forum is that the Shimano rotors have a thinner track which might cause problems with other companies rotors. So I'm sticking to the XT rotors.

I'm reasoning out that there will not be any issues, but would like to consult those who have more experience.

Thanks,
SP

(BTW I wasn't sure where to post this, here or over in Brake Time)

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
stumpypete said:
This may be a stupid question so go easy on me as I've just put out to pasture an 11 year bike and bought a new XC mtb. I'm new to disk brakes.

My Giant has WTB Laserdisk wheels with 6 bolt XT rotors and brakes. I have a second wheel set from my previous bike that I'd like to use for commuting with some go-fast pavement/hardpack tires (because I'm sick of swaping out tires). The spare wheel set is a Shimano LX (wh-m565) which can be run with rim or center lock disk brakes.

Am I going to have any issues with rotor/pad alignment swaping out these wheelsets? I don't want to have to fine tune everything with each wheel swap. I'm hoping that this will go as simple as possible.

My plan is to purchase XT center lock rotors for the LX wheels. From what I've been able to find seaching the forum is that the Shimano rotors have a thinner track which might cause problems with other companies rotors. So I'm sticking to the XT rotors.

I'm reasoning out that there will not be any issues, but would like to consult those who have more experience.

Thanks,
SP

(BTW I wasn't sure where to post this, here or over in Brake Time)
You may have to shim the rotors on one wheelset and/or the calipers to get both sets to match. Not that hard to do. Just takes a bit of time at get it right then you can forget about it.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Any LBS worth...

spit, or online retailer with a good inventory should be able to hook you up with shims. Like shiggy said you'll likely need them. I've never had a set of "spare disc wheels" that perfectly matched up with the main wheel set. I've always had to shim the rotor or the caliper to get them to work without recentering the caliper every time I'd swap. Online I know that Universal Cycles has them, and I'm sure others do as well.

Good Dirt

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
This weekend I crashed hard in a 24h relay race, and ruined my wheel. It had a 6 bolt Avid rotor on it. I borrowed a wheel with Shimano Centrelock for the rest of the race, and it was centred between the pads without needing to adjust my BB7s.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.