Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ever since the 29 Plus tire was introduced, it has been a revelation to my rides. I am in the high desert out west and ride rigid only. Trails that used to beat me up are not only tolerable but fast and fun now. I love the volume and the overall size that just rolls over everything.

I am now (finally) in the process of having my local welder build up a 29+ frame and fork for me.

My only hesitation? The future of 29+. Can’t find tires anywhere now (I’m currently on Bontrager XR4’s which has been my favorite tire to date). Options have been vanishing as more and more manufacturers seem to be discontinuing that size.

So…what to do now? I don’t want to get one built only to have to downsize to a 2.6.

If I decide not to move forward, I’ll still have the issue of resupply for my current bike.

My only other option may be to get one built up for 27.5 x 4.0 tires (and even those seem to be short on supply). It doesn’t give me the rollover. But if I pair it with some light 50-60mm CF wheels, it may be the next best thing.

Not sure what I should do. I am just wondering what some of you in the industry may be hearing. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
cant get tires for my 27.5" x 3.0". even though specialized was the company that made the bike and tires.

idea lasted like three years.

trek dropped the stache. so those tires will go as well. imo.

frame sounds expensive.

if you must have, then buy 15 tires and store in a sealed tub with kitty liter desicant and argon from a welder tank to slow down any curing and moisture damage. they might last you ten years or so.

but then who rides the same bike for ten years!?

·
Registered
958 Posts
I’m 100% with these guys. Get the 29+ frame. Ideally get it built with a big enough chainstay yoke that you can run either 29+ or 27.5x3.8 (like Walt does with the ultimate warrior frame).

Like the rest of these folks, I hoard a few spare tires (mostly 29x3.25), but I’m confident that if the industry stops making any 29x3.0 tires, our friend BansheeRune will take over a tire company and start making them for us ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
18,132 Posts
Early this week I ordered a custom wheel specifically for my 29x3" bike from @mikesee. While communicating about the wheel build, I asked Mike if 29x3" tires were becoming scarce or likely to become scarce soon; if I should order some of these tires now, while I could. Mike said, "I don't see evidence that it's time to panic re: 29+ tires. I've ordered ~150+ this summer, received them, and have been selling through them pretty fast. I have another 100+ on order, expected to arrive late November."

That's a quote.
=sParty

·
Registered
521 Posts
I don't think they are dropping the tire size, I'm having a hard time finding many tires right now simply because they are trying to keep up with production in the common sizes and ignoring the niche ones. I haven't been able to get fractional sizes like 27x1 1/8 for over a year now.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I think the 29 fat is going to stick around for the adventure crowd.
Build it - if I had the money I would have gotten the Krampus, or a custom build - but in 2017 I was able to finance this with 0%.
No soul - but soooo good.

The options to ride and explore are just out there. I have a pugsley that I ride a lot more - but honestly this bike is 20lbs lighter than the pugs. (it has a Sturmey archer IGH 5 speed).

I think that this thing is amazing - the first real major bike brand I have bought since owning a Schwinn High Sierra in HS.
I don't believe it has a soul (bikes with soul thread)- but it can climb like a goat and really holds its own with the DH stuff.

Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Wheel Tire Crankset

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
I think the only thing we know right now is NO ONE knows wtf the future of biking holds. What is impressive is Asia is making peoples health a priority over making production a priority, so it is hard for us to understand why availability is lacking.

Just for reference, a local rep said that some biking specific Asian manufactures are at 30% human capacity, and those workers MUST live within the factory and not leave. So when we ***** about parts, realize the sacrifice that some people are making to get us these parts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.