Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...
I`m a mountain bike racer with a long racing seasson (starts in feb and ends in november). Im`doing intervals and hard work since the beginning of february (if you had read my posts you will get and idea) and by the time I have one and a half month "free", with no races. Just a "B" priority race the 6 of august :rolleyes: . I was thinking of trying to relax my training regimen by a month, doing a mini base period (I`ve heard that for a base period to be effective should be at least one month long). thanks God I can ride every day for no more than 3 hours (usually my races are 2 hours long, with a ton of intensity, just as any mountain bike race ).

Doing this I think that I will release my mind and body off the hard work and get more motivation and a new fitness level for the upcoming races till november...

As the month of mini base wears out, I`ll start doing the intervals to get the "flow" in the legs again...
I`m planning to incorporate some muscle endurance intervals in this base period (for people who are not familiarized with the morris workouts, MEI are just spin at 50rpm with the harder gear you can get rom 15-30 mins :thumbsup: )

What do you think about this strategy?. Completely insane? or just the right thing?

Thanks a lot in advance!!

bye

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Sounds like a typical two-peak season.

The rules of thumb I’ve read say the following:
1. Plan your two annual peaks sufficiently far apart. Looks like you’ve done that.
2. Plan for one or two weeks off the bike in between these peaks. Stay active, but away from the bike. Helps avoid late season burnout.
3. You build to the second peak similarly to how you built for the first. May want to tweak your plan to work on some newly discovered weaknesses.
4. Race periods should be 3 to 6 weeks long. This is period you trained for. You just race, work on your personal strength once a week, recover, and race again. If races are short, like crits, it’s possible to lose endurance ability during the race period.

When I train for the second peak, I really don’t have time to throw in a base period. My two peaks are too close together. So prior to the second peak will be a build period (two interval sessions a week, long and short intervals; train through races) with subsequent rest week, a peak period (one inter-week interval session and race on weekend) and then a final race period as described in #4 above.

But since you have the time for a base period, definitely do it.
Hope this helps. Good luck!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.