Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this one up today from the owner of a big Schwinn shop out here during the 70s and 80s. He built it up as a cruiser/clunker with Sturmey Archer drums, Red Arayas and Landing Gear forks. He told me he hardly rode it, maybe 50 miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man. The guy doesn't have any bmx or mountain bike stuff expect this, but he does have some balloon tire bikes and Paramounts. I have his contact info.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great ride

kingsting said:
Looks like a nice rider to me!
It is a great rider. I need to put some modern tires on it then I am hitting the rode. Don't know if I should replace the seat or not. Any suggestions?

·
Bicycle repairman
130 Posts
ScottyMTB said:
It is a great rider. I need to put some modern tires on it then I am hitting the rode. Don't know if I should replace the seat or not. Any suggestions?
I don't know about replacing those skinwall tires. They look period correct with the anodized rims. Continentals might look good too. I have Double Fighters on mine.

A Brooks B-66 or B-17 saddle would work nicely on that bike. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kingsting said:
I don't know about replacing those skinwall tires. They look period correct with the anodized rims. Continentals might look good too. I have Double Fighters on mine.

A Brooks B-66 or B-17 saddle would work nicely on that bike. :thumbsup:
Yeah, the Brooks route might be the way I go. I want to get one with the springs. I wanted to replace the tires because they are in pretty good shape and I would feel guilty wearing them out.

·
Registered
336 Posts
ScottyMTB said:
Great looking bike!:thumbsup: I would leave the tires, ditch the shorty fender on the rear and go with a Brooks saddle like Kingsting suggested. (I have an Avocet Touring II on mine, which also looks good)

Craig

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks.

82Sidewinder said:
Great looking bike!:thumbsup: I would leave the tires, ditch the shorty fender on the rear and go with a Brooks saddle like Kingsting suggested. (I have an Avocet Touring II on mine, which also looks good)

Craig
Thanks Craig and everybody for the tips. I am on the prowl for a brooks saddle. I have two but I think I need the kind with the springs. I am replacing the neck too. It is a generic bmx neck. I am looking at a red pro neck or possibly a blue suntour.

Ditch the fender huh?

·
Bicycle repairman
130 Posts
Yeah, lose that awful fender. It was the first thing I noticed when I saw the pict.

The B-66 is the easiest springy Brooks to find. It's a perfect size for a retro rig too. If you're buying a new one go for the "honey" color. They're real classy. :cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.