Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been experiencing issues with my second gear while I am in the 1st and 2nd cog (the two smallest cogs - pay no attention to the topic my confusion). The issues is that the chain seems to be missing the holes and falls to the side and goes into first gear. As I continue to spin the crank it jumps back into second gear. All the other gears are completely fine in all the diffrent combinations, even 1-7 cogs while in second gear are fine. The actual gear does not look bent nor do the teeth, neither do both cogs having the problems look damaged. Any ideas guys its greatly appreciated, last resort im taking it to the bike shop on monday after tommorow's ride.

crank: TruVatiV Blaze, 22/32/44
chain: Shimano 9-speed
Front Derailleur Shimano LX
Rear Derailleur Shimano XT

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
You had it right in your title. The bigger rear cogs are the smaller numbers, just like on the shift indicator on your shifter.

Anways, it sounds like your shifter and RD are arguing about wtf to do and where to be. Try using a screwdriver to turn the UPPER limit screw (on the back face of the RD) counterclockwise 1/4 turn. If that doesn't help then try another 1/4 turn. This will allow the RD linkage to move the chain outwards further.

Let us know how that works. If it doesn't even help then post back with what frame you have, cables/housing and the age/condition of each, as "we" will have to dig deeper.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My dad and I figured out the problem today, and did a temporary fix. Ther problem was that 3 teeth on the middle chainring were bent, and they would catch the links of the chain instead of going through the hole. So far now we straightened them out as best possible and it seems to have fixed the problem.

The bike is a 2005 c'dale prophet, I just recently purchased it. I talked to the previous owner and it still has all the original parts and his maintenance was very poor. So I am planning on changing the chain, crankset (possibly just the middle ring), and the cassette.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.