Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, looking for opinions here, and all are welcome!

I currently have a 2010 Trek 4300, and been pretty happy with it. I'd like to stay with Trek, so I "think" I have at least the brand narrowed down. I probably won't be upgrading until the end of the year or so.

My question is: what do you use to help you decide if a bike is worth upgrading or not? I'm not sure if I'd like to get a really nice bike and never touch it, or a not-so-nice bike and upgrade it little by little?

If your suggestions can come with actual models... it'd be much appreciated :)

·
Registered
259 Posts
the 4300 is a good basic starter bike, if you're a beginner in MTBing, its a good start. But nobody stays a beginner for long. You may outgrow it (skill wise) in a few months or a summer. Then you'll be looking for either a new bike that has a better fork, better drivetrain, or is a lot lighter since the 4300 is no lightweight bike.

Since this is your 2nd mountain bike (right?) i'd suggest forking out some more money and going for something higher end that won't require any upgrading at least until you can ride the expert trails. Something like the trek 6 series will give u a good name brand fork like a Tora (heavy 5lber) or Recon (light 4lber) thats years better than toy fork on the 4300. The 4300 Disc has the same crappy fork + a low end Shimano disc system that you'll want more out of when you're going down some decents. The trek 6500 will give you good hydraulic disc brakes that dont have the squealing/howling problem of SRAM/Avid hydraulics. I know spending almost double is crazy and all this talk is BS since EVERYTHING IS BETTER on a bike thats 2x the price, but you'll be spending more than double if you buy the 4300 now and upgrade it (components, or entire bike) within a season. you'll be better off in the long run. + you get bragging rights ~!

·
Registered
373 Posts
If you enjoy the frame, upgrade it. Maybe you want something different though (full suspension, or a different geometry frame, or a lighter frame) If you like your current bike and have money to spend, theres no reason not to buy a new bike if you want one bad enough

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I don't know enough about frame geometries... and honestly wouldn't know what is what since this 4300 is all I've seriously ridden (4 months or so).

Sky, got you. I do all the expert trails already lol (not bragging, just saying) :) At least "expert" here in Miami... no big drops or anything like it. But seriously, the 6-series were considerations I had in mind... but how far can I push those bikes without having to upgrade? And then again, are those frames "really" worth upgrading?

·
Registered
259 Posts
OSOK said:
Well, I don't know enough about frame geometries... and honestly wouldn't know what is what since this 4300 is all I've seriously ridden (4 months or so).

Sky, got you. I do all the expert trails already lol (not bragging, just saying) :) At least "expert" here in Miami... no big drops or anything like it. But seriously, the 6-series were considerations I had in mind... but how far can I push those bikes without having to upgrade? And then again, are those frames "really" worth upgrading?
the 6 series and up are definitely worth upgrading. they're similar to rockhopper frames. very versatile and nimble for XCing, trek/Spec has been in the game for VERY LONG and know how to make a good frame. you can't go wrong with the 6.

since you can do the expert trails in your area already, upgrading to a lighter/higher performance bike will make you that much better. you can climb better on a lighter bike, you can get more traction over logs and rocks with a better fork that can track better and lastly, a lighter and stiffer wheel that won't bend as easily and decrease rotational weight. Overall you'll have a much bigger smile on your face riding that over the entry level 4 series on those expert trails =]

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dang you skyliner... you're making "the end of the year" seem soooooooo so so far away lol! But seriously, thank you... I'm looking at the 6000 and 6500 right now... do they make them w/o disc brakes? If not, can the 6500 be ordered with mech disc brakes? Kinda don't want the disc brakes, but if I must, I def don't want hydraulic.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Why don't you want disc brakes or hydraulics? Both are very easy to learn. I learned how to adjust my discs in about 30minutes.

·
Registered
259 Posts
OSOK said:
Dang you skyliner... you're making "the end of the year" seem soooooooo so so far away lol! But seriously, thank you... I'm looking at the 6000 and 6500 right now... do they make them w/o disc brakes? If not, can the 6500 be ordered with mech disc brakes? Kinda don't want the disc brakes, but if I must, I def don't want hydraulic.
whats wrong with you?>????? disc brakes are the way to go! don't be afraid because your last bike didn't have discs and only had v brakes and u dunno how to adjust them. they're adjustment free (kinda.)

and going with hydraulics over mechanics are ridiculous too! decent shimano hydraulics are great, they have great feel to them and u can modulate really well. they will slow you down easily, and throw you over the bars if you need an immediate stop.

the Recon sure is a good fork tho!

·
Getaway Cycle Center
180 Posts
I sold Treks - not impressed

Trek & Spec cost more in gerneral. Most companies make great bikes and all use the same componets.

More components and great frame at a lower price = Jamis

Check them out.

PS: I have seen a lot of trek warrenty items go thru the shop.
Your paying for their marketing for the most part.

·
Registered
259 Posts
their (S&T) marketing is what makes people want to own their bikes. they are the "cool" thing to have, except its not pokemon cards in school. they're exercise toys for adults. Its the same (similar) reason why people buy Coach, LV, Burberry

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just love the lifetime warranty Trek has on their frames and the stories I've heard about how easily it is to replace them and how good their customer service is.

About the brakes... well, for here, sky, that's rarely wet, disc brakes aren't really needed. My v-brakes stop me on the spot, and they're stock. Hydraulic... just something else to tweak and break and maintain... I don't like doing oil changes. :) I like it simple, and after all, I think it's a bike, not a car. :)

·
Registered
629 Posts
you can always upgrade components now. buy a nice frame later on, and swap all the parts over...just an idea..

if it were me id just get a good entry level full suspension bike and not have to worry about new components until they break or you feel like something needs to be upgraded...that way you have a really nice frame thats worthy enough to put money into.

right now i really like the giant bikes...i own a trance x3..paid 1800 for it last year...same frame as the X0 model which costs $5700...exact same frame just better components...i think upgrading your bike and making it your own is one of my favorite things about the sport...besides saddle time of course...

·
Registered
259 Posts
OSOK said:
I just love the lifetime warranty Trek has on their frames and the stories I've heard about how easily it is to replace them and how good their customer service is.

About the brakes... well, for here, sky, that's rarely wet, disc brakes aren't really needed. My v-brakes stop me on the spot, and they're stock. Hydraulic... just something else to tweak and break and maintain... I don't like doing oil changes. :) I like it simple, and after all, I think it's a bike, not a car. :)
i got hydraulics on my bike and haven't touched them in over a year. no fluid flushes or anything. and with hydraulics, u get all the benefits of discs (sexy looks, better in the wet than v brakes, the sexy looks, and the strong stopping power) + with hydraulics u get better feel for the brakes and can control them much better. they feel like the smooth brakes on a car. welp, if u like the v's look for a bike that has em. they're mostly on the entry levels so you wont be getting the high end forks/components with that bike.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have a 4300 and personally, I wouldn't jump from a 4300 to a 6000/6500... they both use treks alpha black aluminum frame. the 8000 and above will get you alpha red. I also upgraded the fork, wheels, and brakes on my 4300.

·
Registered
246 Posts
tora 318 coil fork, avid bb7 disc brakes, cheap wheelset w/disc compatible hubs, I also changed the stock seat and stem. I'm a pretty light rider @ ~140 so I kinda skimped on the wheels to save a bit of money. overall i'm pretty satisfied with my bike, but the only problem is i don't think any of the parts will really transfer over to the next kind of bike that i want to get. i'd really like to get something more "all mountain" with a slack head angle and a thru-axle fork and wheelset.

·
pants on head retarded
256 Posts
If you're considering a 6500, you may as well put the cash into your 4300 (fork, drivetrain, etc). Basically the bikes just aren't different enough, *especially* if you aren't keen on disc brakes (which is silly to most of us ;) ).

If you're set on getting a second bike, I'd really poke around at what else is out there.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, another thing that is pushing me to change bikes is that I got the 4300 at SUCH a good deal, I can resell it and get ALMOST all my money back :)

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Got any local shops?
If yes, go and test ride stuff. Don't get stuck on a brand. See if you find something YOU like better than your current bike.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts