Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Purpnurp
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where are we???? I swear it feels like it is raining every day...oh yeah it is!!!! It getting to be very depressing. Im sitting in my office wondering when i can actually go out riding again after i just read another weather prediction...rain is in our forcast for the next week ...Does anybody here ride in rainy conditions? It might be fun for a while, but it looks like it would be way too dangerous. How does Kittatinny drain, i really wanted to hit that as soon as it stops raining.....BTW, as im writing this, the sun is out but i guarantee the minute i leave my office it WILL start raining!

·
Registered
217 Posts
The funny thing (or not) is that we get a lot more rainfall during the summer compared to the amounts in Seattle. Although it rains more often in Seattle it is mostly confined to light drizzle and showers. We get hit with Lake effect rain bands that somehow manage to traverse NY/PA, low pressure systems, noreasters, and tropical remnants (if we are lucky to miss the hurricane itself). Take a peak at weather.com and compare total, avg. rainfall between NJ and Seattle.

·
Purpnurp
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ha, that is very funny how we get MORE rain than Seattle in the summers. Would the rain be damaging to my bike? I have been told numerous amounts of times not to get certain parts of my bike wet, especially places where there are bearings and seals where the water can seep in and cause trouble. Do i really need to worry about that or just get on the bike and ride?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Exactly

normZurawski said:
I ride in the rain. The current target is the 24 hour race, where it will rain. MIght as well get used to it now.
My wife and I have been riding in it for the same damn reason because it WILL rain at Allamuchy it's just a matter of how much for how long.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Use a brush

Unstead of spraying off my bike after a muddy ride I'll let it dry and use brushes to clean it. I used to wash my bike after every ride and went through hubs and bearings like crazy one year. The guy at the shop suggested going easy on the hose and buy a set of brushes. I use T-9 on the deraleurs, cables, and shifters, but you want to keep this away from bearings, bottom bracket and your shocks. It gets into places and can wash out the gease.

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
purpnurp said:
Where are we???? I swear it feels like it is raining every day...oh yeah it is!!!! It getting to be very depressing. Im sitting in my office wondering when i can actually go out riding again after i just read another weather prediction...rain is in our forcast for the next week ...Does anybody here ride in rainy conditions? It might be fun for a while, but it looks like it would be way too dangerous. How does Kittatinny drain, i really wanted to hit that as soon as it stops raining.....BTW, as im writing this, the sun is out but i guarantee the minute i leave my office it WILL start raining!
Sorry about the rain guys. My wife has been backwashing the pool every day and I'm afraid to even ask about the basement.

No rain here, though and they need it badly. Come on out!

·
Registered
751 Posts
theferralkid said:
Unstead of spraying off my bike after a muddy ride I'll let it dry and use brushes to clean it. I used to wash my bike after every ride and went through hubs and bearings like crazy one year. The guy at the shop suggested going easy on the hose and buy a set of brushes. I use T-9 on the deraleurs, cables, and shifters, but you want to keep this away from bearings, bottom bracket and your shocks. It gets into places and can wash out the gease.
that's what i've started doing too. at first i was rinsing it off after every muddy ride, but since they all seem to be muddy these days i stopped. now i just let it dry overnight and brush the dried crap off with towels and a brush. much easier, and saves a ton of time. i've even cut back on the full washing from once a week to once every 2-3 weeks...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.