Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently acquired a van, which has bikes and a bed in the back. I'm curious about de facto feasibility of sleeping at Seattle-area trailheads, specifically Tiger (upper lot) and Raging (outside the gate, i.e. straight up the hill from the bottom of E27 trails).

I know the official policy is that overnight camping is not allowed, but I've certainly seen some vans at these spots when I roll up for dawn patrol. I've also forgotten to display my discover pass on numerous occasions and have yet to get a ticket [knocking furiously on wood].

FWIW I'd be looking at arriving after dark, sleeping in a buttoned-up stealth van and riding at first light. Illegally sleeping in a vehicle and/or on public land is SO HOT in the Seattle area right now...

·
Banned
170 Posts
There are sketchy characters hanging around those areas in the dark. I’d recommend arming yourself appropriately. I’m sorry I don’t have an answer to your question.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
17,980 Posts
Short answer: I dunno.

But I can tell you this after owning a van for 3 years: I've discovered that there's a difference between "camping" and "overnight parking."

If you get your chairs & tables out of your van and spring your awning, you're camping.

On the other hand if you pull into a parking lot and then crawl into the back of your van and go to sleep, you're overnight parking.

May not seem like much of a distinction but nowadays I'll do the latter when I see a "no camping" sign. But if I see a "no overnight parking" sign, then I move along.
=sParty

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.