Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
now i know im askin a stupid question but why do we run our saddles raked back at a ridiculous toptube angle mimicing angle? practically every one i meet on my bike asks me why i have it like that i need an exscuse right now im saying
cuz it looks cool

·
Registered
513 Posts
I find it to be much more comfortable on my lower back and can sit in a natural position while not leaning to far up or too far back over the bike. I thought the same thing at first too so I tried it different ways and found it to be the best. My seat is also set back pretty far so I can avoid the tire to the butt cheek incidents (once is enough)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Some people take it too far, but I have tried different angles and find the slight backward tilt most comfortable, pretty much on any bike other than one with drop bars. I even remember reading something on Sheldon Brown's site saying that men often prefer a back tilt more than women, for anatomical reasons.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ok, here is my thought. When I sit on my seat, because of the angle my butt is angled up, so my legs are bent up more towards my chest, my back is curved a bit more and I'm more stretched out (if that makes sense). If I was just sitting up right it would be harder to pedal, and I would be a lot closer to the bar. Especially on a 20" I feel a lot better fit wise with my seat at the right angle. Its more layed back. I probably didn't make any sense with that, but if you think about it...

·
what's for lunch today?
158 Posts
have you ever landed on your balls on a flat-angled saddle vs. a tilt-back saddle? i have, and somehow the tilt lessens the blow. try it if you like, but you're better off just taking my word for it.

this is probably just me, but i would set the angle of my seat so it would sit flat on the ground (as opposed to on the nose or rear edge) when i had the bike flipped for whatever i had the bike flipped for. keeps it from flopping around as much.

and it feels more comfortable on the smaller/lower street frames.

·
Registered
81 Posts
why did you make two threads on the same topic? anyway, here is the same reply i gave on the other one.

when you're sitting that low, your knees will be higher and it creates the angle in your body that requires it to be at that angle. have you ridden with it flat? it just doesn't work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.