Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, She is exstatic to have a "real" bike (Specialized Myka). First item to change is the seatpost. After watching her ride she was uncomfortable unless her arches were over the pedal...no brainer to move the seat back but it wasn't enough. Has anyone ever had any problems with the Kalloy carbon seatpost? Seems to be a decent value with a 1" set-back, and obviously lighter than the stock post...(yeah, that's right. I posted inches, not mm's);)

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
I don't think that pedaling technique and seatpost position are necessarily a related issue. IME, someone who's most comfortable pedaling with the balls of her feet will still do that with a saddle that's too far forward, and slide back on the saddle or move around a lot or put too much weight on her hands, something like that.

Was whoever this woman is pedaling with the balls of her feet or her arches before the change? Does she still have the previous bike? What pedal system is she using?

You might be right about the need for a seat post with more setback, especially if it's a smaller frame with a steeper seat angle. But it won't help if the issue is something else.

Finally, see if you can try a seatpost with 1" of setback before spending on it. If your friend still has to slam her saddle all the way back, there's another option out there...

Nitto Lugged seat post 27.2 x 250 11048

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
You are moving her feet forward, (from the balls of her feet over the spindle to the middle of the arch over the spindle) and you need to move her seat back? This doesn't sound right at all. In fact, for this to work the bike would have to be too small.

Having said that, issues of comfort with new riders don't always agree with what is ultimately a good fit. Making them happy is the first step to keeping them riding.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies, and sorry for any confusion. It's a 13" Specialized Myka with platform pedals, and she's 5'1". I first moved the seat all the way back and her knees were not centered over the BB, (they were in front). I thought that a bit of set-back would more comfortably put the balls of her feet on the pedals, (she used to pedal like that). The seat height was adjusted for proper leg extension too, (about 10-15 deg. short of full extension).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.