Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 04 Stump Jumper Pro FSR and am contemplating changing my seat post to a Thomson. I fell down yesterday and the saddle was crooked as the seatpost's washer at the bolt got twisted. I am now looking at a more robust seatpost! I fixed the problem later at home by straightening out the twisted washer!

Question 1:

What's the seatpost diameter for the 04 Stumpy Pro FSR?

Question 2:

Is Thomson seatpost regarded as one of the best or better ones in the market? Quality and robustness takes precedence over weight here. What other seatpost is recommended and comes with a high price/performance ratio?

Question 3:

The original seatpost is the set back version which I believe is made by Ritchey even though it has no logo on it. Do I need to buy a setback seatpost or just get a straight one?

Many thanks mates and best 73's.

:D :D

·
Complete Bastard
2,282 Posts
Look on the seatpost, it tells the diameter. (30.9, for future reference).

I doubt you could find a stronger seatpost than a thompson. Occasionally things get bent in wrecks. If the seatpost itself is still sound, I'd continue riding it.

The original is a kalloy. Why not use that if you want to stop using the Thompson.

Setback is a matter of preference. I use them but run my seats all the way forward sort of negating the setback. I don't like to ride that far behind my pedals.

73 is not pluralized because it's like saying "Best Regardses" :D

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mward said:
Look on the seatpost, it tells the diameter. (30.9, for future reference).

I doubt you could find a stronger seatpost than a thompson. Occasionally things get bent in wrecks. If the seatpost itself is still sound, I'd continue riding it.

The original is a kalloy. Why not use that if you want to stop using the Thompson.

Setback is a matter of preference. I use them but run my seats all the way forward sort of negating the setback. I don't like to ride that far behind my pedals.

73 is not pluralized because it's like saying "Best Regardses" :D
30.9mm it is then mate. Never heard of KALLOY. I thought it was a Ritchey but nevertheless Thomson products are highly regarded and will change to a Thomson once the seatpost gives me some more problems. In the meantime, the original is fine after making some minor repairs!

I too run my saddle all the way forward.

QSL on 73 then! Shall I just sign as 88 then mate? :D :p

Are you a ham too? :confused: :p

·
Complete Bastard
2,282 Posts
Haha well 88 would probably be inappropriate in this case.

Yes I'm a ham, newly minted, you might say. I just passed my tech exam about a month ago and am working on morse now but don't have a lot of time to devote to it. My fiance, her father and mother are all hams. He told me I had to get my ticket to marry his daughter, and since it was one of those things I meant to do 'someday' anyhow, I did. The problem is trying to justify spending money on radio equipment when I really want to spend it on bikes. :D

I didn't understand your post. I thought you already had a thomson. They're very solid. I run an easton ec70 which seems excellent as well. Some people report problems with them but I have had none besides some infrequent slipping. (Cured by rubbing chalk on the post). The kalloy you have is not a bad post, just very heavy. I have one on one of my bikes.

73. :D

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mward said:
Haha well 88 would probably be inappropriate in this case.

Yes I'm a ham, newly minted, you might say. I just passed my tech exam about a month ago and am working on morse now but don't have a lot of time to devote to it. My fiance, her father and mother are all hams. He told me I had to get my ticket to marry his daughter, and since it was one of those things I meant to do 'someday' anyhow, I did. The problem is trying to justify spending money on radio equipment when I really want to spend it on bikes. :D

I didn't understand your post. I thought you already had a thomson. They're very solid. I run an easton ec70 which seems excellent as well. Some people report problems with them but I have had none besides some infrequent slipping. (Cured by rubbing chalk on the post). The kalloy you have is not a bad post, just very heavy. I have one on one of my bikes.

73. :D
Congratulations on getting your ticket to the ham world! You engaged to a ham family? Well, at least you made one of your father out-law's criteria to marry his daughter!

No, I don't have a Thomson seatpost on my Stumpy, just the original that came along with the bike.

Take care fellow ham and you better marry that girl that you sacrificed yourself to!ha..ha... :p :p

88's mate! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.