Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bended my 2nd post in 6 months now. And no the bike is not too small for me, and no it is not too far extended out of my frame. It seems my post a a little, actually quite a bit thinner than most posts out there. have a GT Avalance 2.0 bike and the downtube where the post goes in, is quite thin, compared to the ones of my buddied, Giant Rinon, etc. Now I love my GT frame, but starting to wonder if it's worth building the bike up if I keep on having seatpost trouble. The post bends backwards ever so slightly after each ride. Ok, I am not the lightest around 93kg, but I know riders bigger and heavier than me riding harder, that have no probs on their giants.
Anyone got any suggestions to what I can do? What's a good brand for a strong post?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fred3 said:
The frame(GT) hasn't anything to do with the seatpost bending. Just buy a better seatpost. Maybe a downhill specific post with thicker walls.
Well not too sure about that. My downtube on my frame narrower, hence the narrower seatpost. Good idea about a DH post, but won't the place then more force on my frame and possibly crack the down tube?

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Fred's Correct

phazer said:
Well not too sure about that. My downtube on my frame narrower, hence the narrower seatpost. Good idea about a DH post, but won't the place then more force on my frame and possibly crack the down tube?
Your seat tube is a standard diameter for the bike industry. I don't know enough about GT's to know what the diameter is, but I'll assume a fairly small, 27.2.

If you're bending seatposts as often as you claim, you're either using a cheap product, you're technique is poor or a combination of the two. Your weight and the diameter of the seat tube has nothing to do with it.

What brand of seatpost are you using?

My bikes have a 27.2 seatpost diameter. I outweigh you by 6 kg. I ride Thomson seatposts because they function well. I've never bent a Thomson seatpost.

Ken

·
Rider Found Dead
133 Posts
Ditto on the Thomson ...

After having seatpost trouble many years ago, using various different posts, I switched to Thomson posts on all my rides. Haven't had any problems since.

·
Map Maker
1,244 Posts
phazer said:
Bended my 2nd post in 6 months now. And no the bike is not too small for me, and no it is not too far extended out of my frame. It seems my post a a little, actually quite a bit thinner than most posts out there. have a GT Avalance 2.0 bike and the downtube where the post goes in, is quite thin, compared to the ones of my buddied, Giant Rinon, etc. Now I love my GT frame, but starting to wonder if it's worth building the bike up if I keep on having seatpost trouble. The post bends backwards ever so slightly after each ride. Ok, I am not the lightest around 93kg, but I know riders bigger and heavier than me riding harder, that have no probs on their giants.
Anyone got any suggestions to what I can do? What's a good brand for a strong post?
Get a Thomson post and a Salsa seat collar and you will have no more troubles - sounds like you are just buying cheap low end posts - If the problem is with your seat tube - that is a frame warranty issue.

·
I'm how far behind?
571 Posts
I'll second or is it 3rd the tompson suggestion. Thompson is definately the way to go for a decent weight bomb proof post. I lost a bike of my roof once at 80 mph, then it was drug by an SUV until it was pulled off the side of the road. The only things that survived were the thompson seatpost, the king head seat and the rear Fox AVA shock. The seat was ground down to a pulp, but the seatpost was fine (still using it today!)

Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.