Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I were riding today. He cracked his easton 70 aluminum seatpost. We have spent the afternoon trying to get it out of the frame.(the bike is a year old and the seatpost has not been moved since he bought it ) He even took it up to the bike shop and they couldn't get it out. He has lubed it and has been hitting it upwards with a hammer. I am afraid he will crack the frame. Has anyone had this problem and how did you get it out? We have a race next weekend. Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I once had a steel frame with a stuck aluminum seatpost. The previous owner had used it to ride to campus, so needless to say it got rained on a few times. I tried all the usual methods without any luck. As a last resort, I clamped the seat post into the pipe jaws of a vice which was bolted to a large heavy workbench. Sprayed tons of PB Blaster in the seat tube, and with the seatpost secured, I grabbed the frame and fork and twisted it back and forth. The noise was horrendous, but it worked.

Good luck,
Steve

·
HammerHead
290 Posts
Use lots of penetrating oil let it soak, I used one called "Liquid Wrench" http://www.gunk.com/lubricants.asp you can get it at nay hardware or auto parts store, some people used ammonia to dissolve Aluminum oxide bonding to the steel. When you install new seatpost use little bit of grease on it to prevent bonding for future. Let us know how did it go.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. We tried alot of the suggestions. What finally worked was turning the bike upside down on a bench, me holding the frame down, while my husband pounded downward on the seatpost clamp with all of his might. He had been doing the opposite, with the bike right side up, pounding upward and it hadn't budged one bit. So, after about 10 hits it came out. What is weird is, he has only had this bike for about a year and the seatpost(easton aluminum) was pitted like it was being eaten through. I wonder about that.

·
HammerHead
290 Posts
southerngirl said:
Thanks for the replies. We tried alot of the suggestions. What finally worked was turning the bike upside down on a bench, me holding the frame down, while my husband pounded downward on the seatpost clamp with all of his might. He had been doing the opposite, with the bike right side up, pounding upward and it hadn't budged one bit. So, after about 10 hits it came out. What is weird is, he has only had this bike for about a year and the seatpost(easton aluminum) was pitted like it was being eaten through. I wonder about that.
Sorry for a dumb question, was clamp stuck or the seatpost?

·
Master of None
1,462 Posts
My seatpost was galled and REALLY stuck inside my frame. I tried everything, including attaching the frame and seatpost to two trailer hitches (attached to cars) and flooring it! HA! That didn't work; I kept breaking the tow straps! I eventually used a Sawzall and carefully cut it lengthwise. My seat tube needed to be reamed, you might want to lightly clean your frame up with a reamer. Use a light coating of grease on the new post. :)

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
southerngirl said:
seatpost. it would move side to side but not go up or down.
be sure to use plenty of grease or anti-seize on the seatpost in the future! the oxidization is a common problem, especially with alu seatpost in steel frame (dissimilar metals).
try ammonia next time!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
538 Posts
If he really loves the frame then it's time to quit with the home remedies. Find a frame builder (hopefully nearby). They'll have a jig that will secure the frame by the BB shell. They'll then hook a come-along to the post and draw it out.

It's not something you can put together at home.You need a massive base to support the frame, and a slow and steady force on the seatpost. It's usually not that expensive a repair.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.