Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Fuel Ex 8 purchased new in May. I continually have problems with the seatpost slipping down as I ride. In a 2 hour ride I'll have to raise it 2-3 times. More so if it's descending and technical. I end up riding for a ways in a bad position before I realize it's too low or before I take the time to stop and raise the seatpost again. Not acceptable if you are in a race. The bike has the stock seatpost and QR. I have tried chalk and grease without much luck. I've read of other solutions such as shimming, trying a new seatpost, and a new QR. Point is I don't think I should have to spend time and money on this considering it's a relatively new and stock bike. Should this be a warranty issue?? I have not contacted Trek yet. Any ideas.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Trek collars don't have a lot of bite, that could be one reason. Try a Salsa lip lock. Second, your seat post may have some slight deformation where its clamped or the tolerances might be off a bit. I wipe off grease in the clamp area to prevent slipping.

·
I hate that name.
1,643 Posts
If you always run the post at the same height, try just using a bolt on collar rather than a qr. Also, are you heavy? I am, and I think every bike I've ever had had post slippage. I've always just chalked it up to yet another hassle of being a fatass. I now use an extra clamp on the post. Fishers used to come with clamps for (I think) mounting a bottlecage on the post, and we have several wasting space at the shop. You could also use a non-lipped bmx collar as the extra direct to post clamp/stopper, if you can find the right size. Like this... BMX Products - BMX STEMS - BMX BARS - BMX SEATPOST CLAMPS - BMX CLOTHING - CROME MOLY BARS It would be slightly bigger than 31.6, but should work. And they have colors.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.