Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
MaddSquirrel said:
Hi,
Does any know if a seatpost shim is made for 30.0 seatpost to fit a 30.9 seat tube. I have a thomson post that I do not want to replace. Thanks.
cane creek makes a 0.8mm & 1.0mm shim http://canecreek.com/shims.html
Problem solvers also appears to make those two sizes, altho all the online QBP suppliers (quick n dirty online search) aside from Jenson only list the 1.0mm (wellll, bikeman lists a 0.6 but not a 0.8 from problemsolvers).

I used a 30.8 seatpost on my old stumpy M2 w/o any issues, so I'd recommendo getting the 0.8mm shim from someone, as I wouldn't size up. You can order direct from canecreek at their online store or call em. Most LBS use QBP, so that's where I'd go and u can uze the online dealer search at canecreek for a local store.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
logbiter said:
cane creek makes a 0.8mm & 1.0mm shim http://canecreek.com/shims.html
Problem solvers also appears to make those two sizes, altho all the online QBP suppliers (quick n dirty online search) aside from Jenson only list the 1.0mm (wellll, bikeman lists a 0.6 but not a 0.8 from problemsolvers).

I used a 30.8 seatpost on my old stumpy M2 w/o any issues, so I'd recommendo getting the 0.8mm shim from someone, as I wouldn't size up. You can order direct from canecreek at their online store or call em. Most LBS use QBP, so that's where I'd go and u can uze the online dealer search at canecreek for a local store.
You sure, Serge?

I only see the 25.4 ~> whatever OD and 27.2 ~> whatever OD. No listing for the 0.8 or 1.0. :confused:

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
AndrewTO said:
You sure, Serge?

I only see the 25.4 ~> whatever OD and 27.2 ~> whatever OD. No listing for the 0.8 or 1.0. :confused:
Now, I'm no engineer, but reputable wrenches have told me you can use a shim of say 25.4 - 26.2 as a 0.8mm shim on any sized post to shim up. Would this be a problem on a 30.0 - 30.8, as in too much of the circumference not covered and causing problems with the seatube? I can't say for sure, perhaps someone would chime in on that aspect or post a query on this subject.
Some places list the problem solvers as 27.2 - xx.x, others list the same shim as it's metric thickness.
I've used a shim on a 28.6 seatpost to get up to 30.8/30.9 (don't recall for sure which it ended up being, this was about 10 yrs ago I sold that boneshaker M2 ;)). I've also used DIY soda can shims for a 26.8-27.2 w/o any problems.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
logbiter said:
Now, I'm no engineer, but reputable wrenches have told me you can use a shim of say 25.4 - 26.2 as a 0.8mm shim on any sized post to shim up. Would this be a problem on a 30.0 - 30.8, as in too much of the circumference not covered and causing problems with the seatube? I can't say for sure, perhaps someone would chime in on that aspect or post a query on this subject.
Some places list the problem solvers as 27.2 - xx.x, others list the same shim as it's metric thickness.
I've used a shim on a 28.6 seatpost to get up to 30.8/30.9 (don't recall for sure which it ended up being, this was about 10 yrs ago I sold that boneshaker M2 ;)). I've also used DIY soda can shims for a 26.8-27.2 w/o any problems.
Yeah, I guess if it's a thin enough wall thickness and the flange at the top isn't going to hinder doing so I guess that would be okay. Agreed with the circumfrential coverage (yeah?) on bigger diameters, though. :skep:

Creepy - how'd you know i'm going to be doing a 26.8~>27.2? LOL! (getting a new frame, using an old expensive to replace post and raiding the shim stock at work ..... shhhh, don't tell!)

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
AndrewTO said:
Creepy - how'd you know i'm going to be doing a 26.8~>27.2? LOL! (getting a new frame, using an old expensive to replace post and raiding the shim stock at work ..... shhhh, don't tell!)
:D yep, that's me, make everyone's skin crawl;) I've been in the same boat obviously.

ooh, shim stock sounds nice! I don't collect much around the house, since few of those frosty beverages I drink come in a can... :p And, not much good shim stock at a wetlands research ctr, where I work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.