Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 221 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a good solution to marking my seatpost height. With a quick release seatpost, I want to be able to take it out and put it back at the same height. I'm looking for something like a collar. Tape, black marker are not good enogh. I want something I can just push the seatpost in until it stops at the marker and tighen up the quick release.

Right now I'm using the seatpost mount for a rear light but I'm looking for something a little more "elegant". Any suggestions?

· Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
24,864 Posts
Cubby said:
I'm looking for a good solution to marking my seatpost height. With a quick release seatpost, I want to be able to take it out and put it back at the same height. I'm looking for something like a collar. Tape, black marker are not good enogh. I want something I can just push the seatpost in until it stops at the marker and tighen up the quick release.

Right now I'm using the seatpost mount for a rear light but I'm looking for something a little more "elegant". Any suggestions?
Just take a hacksaw and make a small line in the back of the post. Bam, you're done.

· Registered
1,049 Posts
Finch Platte said:
Just take a hacksaw and make a small line in the back of the post. Bam, you're done.
Just curious, why on the back?

· Registered
1,049 Posts
Mudd said:
Use a Sharpie!....
Sharpies don't work if you have a black seatpost. I've tried.

In the past, I've scored my post with a pocket knife. No chance of scoring too deep like with a hacksaw. I wouldn't call it an "elegant" solution, but its permanent and it works.

· Don't be a sheep
3,414 Posts
Cubby said:

On a black seatpost I take some duct tape and mask the post on either side of where I want my height marker leaving about 1/8" exposed and use scotch-brite to lightly wear away the anodize. Doesn't structurally harm the seatpost and leaves a nice even mark.

· Baby-heads.... oh joy!
238 Posts
Ever try?

Nail polish. I have a Thompson seat-post and the last thing I want to do is cut into it with anything. So I measured two heights, (can do more if thats what you need), taped them both evenly, gave a slight scuff to the exposed areas with 220 grit, cleaned with denatured alcohol, and applied two different colors of nail polish to help distinguish the two different heights, removed tape, let the polish cure overnight, and now when It's time to adjust, its simple, no eyeballing guesswork, no tape to peel off, or sliding post, and no cracked post going in the out door because it was structurally jeopardized by cutting a groove into it.:thumbsup:

· Registered
312 Posts
Since you don't want to look down and visibly see where to stop, just 'feel' the stop, how about a collar like you'd find on a radiator hose?

-Rob

· Self Appointed Judge&Jury
84,224 Posts
What is this Rocket Science? Geeez already, just take an awle or a hacksaw and mark it. Some of the questions on this site scare me. It scares me that I could be sharing the same trail as some of the people asking these questions. :D Ok so ya need a little hand holding. Could one of Cubbys friends kindly hold his hand and guide him to the seatpost. Then slowly show him how to mark it. Remember he's looking for something a little more "elegant". It sounds to me like he's the type of guy that carries a bottle of Merlot in his bottle cage.

· LA CHÈVRE
9,400 Posts
I just scratch the paint off on a black alloy post. You only see it if you look for it so I would call that an elegant solution. I don't see why you'd need something else, it takes 10 seconds and weighs nothing. It's not as simple with a carbon post though.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I've tried tape, markers, scratching. I'm looking for something that requires less brain. Like I said - drop the post in until it stops and tighten it up. No looking for a scratch mark or marker line (and yes its a black Bontrager post). Something that I can clamp on.

· LA CHÈVRE
9,400 Posts
Cubby said:
I'm looking for something that requires less brain.
Well, you are looking to use less brain on the trail but are using way too much of it to figure this out now... :p How long does it take and how many brain cells are needed to just stop at a mark? Not much IMO.

If you really need a solution that would work even for a blind rider and that hasn't been mentioned in this thread already, you can bolt a reflector that has a collar on the post and use that as the guide/stop.

· Self Appointed Judge&Jury
84,224 Posts
Dan Gerous said:
Well, you are looking to use less brain on the trail but are using way too much of it to figure this out now... :p How long does it take and how many brain cells are needed to just stop at a mark? Not much IMO.

If you really need a solution that would work even for a blind rider and that hasn't been mentioned in this thread already, you can bolt a reflector that has a collar on the post and use that as the guide/stop.
Hey Dan you must of not seen my comment on this subject. A few posts up.

· Registered
20,202 Posts
Cubby said:
I've tried tape, markers, scratching. I'm looking for something that requires less brain. Like I said - drop the post in until it stops and tighten it up. No looking for a scratch mark or marker line (and yes its a black Bontrager post). Something that I can clamp on.
Let's see...drop until stops...clamps on...how about a seat collar?

· Glad to Be Alive
42,878 Posts
Rivet said:
On a black seatpost I take some duct tape and mask the post on either side of where I want my height marker leaving about 1/8" exposed and use scotch-brite to lightly wear away the anodize. Doesn't structurally harm the seatpost and leaves a nice even mark.
I do that with light sandpaper

· Registered
802 Posts
Use a small piece of rubber hose that is large enough to stretch over the seatpost, but tight enough to not move on it. Get black to match your post and you have your brainless, not ugly, seatpost marking system. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 221 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.